News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where do you stand with Brian Daboll?

Started by MightyGiants, January 11, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 11, 2024, 02:42:51 PMI guess it is new era.  Coaches getting upset is now bad?  I remember people here clamoring for for a certain jaw. 

I am with Ed on this:

Dabs over achieved one season and disappointed in the 2nd season. Without being around players and coaches in person it's really tough to say what leadership qualities he has or doesn't have.  I can infer that some were there for him to get to the levels he attained.  Further the team must have some respect for the man given their effort in week 18.  That doesn't mean his leadership is without issues.  No leader is perfect. 

You really think the Shepard farewell tour was his idea/choice?  Given that Shepard was drafted long before Daboll was even an OC in Buffalo I doubt he had any sentimental attachment to the player.  I doubt his direct boss did either.

Matt,

I am trying to follow.  You want to limit your take on Dabs to what you actually witness.  Then you say you believe that Mara is responsible for Shepard being on the roster even though we have not seen any reports that say Mara made the call.  Am I understanding you correctly?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 11, 2024, 03:13:12 PMMatt,

I am trying to follow.  You want to limit your take on Dabs to what you actually witness.  Then you say you believe that Mara is responsible for Shepard being on the roster even though we have not seen any reports that say Mara made the call.  Am I understanding you correctly?

You are understanding me correctly.  Do you think Daboll has a some sentimental connection to Shepard? 

Do we know if Daboll has 100% control of the 53 man roster? 

What I witnessed with Shepard is this:

17 targets in the 1st 16 games.  The fewest on the team.  5 targets in the final game.  To my knowledge he did not play on special teams.   Shepard was drafted in 2016 and did not play for Daboll until 2022. Those are things that I witnessed.

If I follow where I think you are going, you can call me inconsistent because I didn't hear Mara say keep him on the roster.  However, making that inference from those facts as opposed to forming an educated opinion about Daboll's level of emotional leadership (for example) are apples and oranges. 

Maybe Daboll or the WR coach wanted Shepard on the roster so they could target him once a game and keep him as veteran depth in case of injury.  It's possible.  Usually that last WR spot is someone that also plays on special teams though. 

Its a tad different than saying I think I know how 53 men plus coaches feel about his leadership.

Bob In PA

He knows how to win, but like any other coach it depends on the quality of players he has to work with.

Short memories forget... he got very good grades (and an award or two) for his first year as Giants' head coach.

Who's to say the friction between him & Wink didn't cost us enough games this year to have made a difference?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

I'm not ready to give up on him as of yet. I can't go down lists but he does seem to have enough good qualities to warrant another year and hopefully improve the team. What worries me the most is that the entire team wasn't ready to play on just too many occasions. There were games where we didn't even show up and that goes to the HC.

Winning establishes a different culture. Players hated TC until he showed them that was the way to win. Then, all of a sudden. they all bought into his shpeal. In fact, you probably could go back to Parcels with the same thing. Winning makes coaches geniuses and players believe in it.
So let's stick with Daboll another year and see what happens.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on January 12, 2024, 11:18:05 AMI'm not ready to give up on him as of yet. I can't go down lists but he does seem to have enough good qualities to warrant another year and hopefully improve the team. What worries me the most is that the entire team wasn't ready to play on just too many occasions. There were games where we didn't even show up and that goes to the HC.

Winning establishes a different culture. Players hated TC until he showed them that was the way to win. Then, all of a sudden. they all bought into his shpeal. In fact, you probably could go back to Parcels with the same thing. Winning makes coaches geniuses and players believe in it.
So let's stick with Daboll another year and see what happens.
No doubt about everything you said. Daboll had his warts this year in season and game preparation.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

On the hot seat next year. The team must win a minimum of 8 games.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 12, 2024, 11:21:34 AMNo doubt about everything you said. Daboll had his warts this year in season and game preparation.

Yup, my beef about Dabs isn't any of this drama crop, but the weak pre-season training preparation that led to the Giants being unable to compete in the first half of the season.  Particularly when it was well-known that the opening games of the schedule were brutal.

This may have been a well-intentioned, but ultimately misguided, attempt to avoid injuries, but I, for one, will be watching closely how the training regime is or is not different in this upcoming year.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

I like Daboll and believe in him

I played sports in high school and in college. Coaches are not "nice" when you make a mistake. The best ones blow a fuse when you screw up

I suppose there's four ways to look at it

1) Tough/no nonsense/overbearing/screamer (Vince Lombardi, Mike Ditka, Bill Parcells, Bill Cower, Bill Belichik)

2) nice guys who seldom yell, but had success (Bill Walsh, Tony Dungey, etc.)

3) Quiet nature, but hard nose disciplinarian who took no nonsense approach (Tom Landry, Tom Coughlin, etc.)

4) Kindness and being a teacher (John Madden - a mastermind of the game who explained each detail of the game and position to his players as he taught them the right way to play. He always believed that the "game is won in the trenches" and only had three rules: "Be on time, Pay attention and Play like hell when I tell you to."

I think Daboll is combination of 1 and 4, leaning more towards 1

When you're in charge of the game, you can do whatever you want; however, getting coaches and players to be okay with that is another thing...especially in the new woke culture with kids coming out of college
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

spiderblue43

Well..he isn't the fraud like Siriani. I don't have really anything to add but to remember how TC came in with the military persona..got called out by Strahan and others to dial it back some
and showed real growth as a coach that led to respect and titles

I am not sold on him either. This year improvement with his game-planning..in-game decisions..and preparation have to better despite the roster.

spiderblue43

Jolly,

John Madden loved his guys, no doubt.
 However, he gave the refs absolute grief
in many, many expletives that were anything but kind. Hell..the Raiders wrote them on game balls!! F@#×Ed Your Mother.etc.  :hurt:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 12, 2024, 12:53:39 PMJolly,

John Madden loved his guys, no doubt.
 However, he gave the refs absolute grief
in many, many expletives that were anything but kind. Hell..the Raiders wrote them on game balls!! F@#×Ed Your Mother.etc.  :hurt:

In real life, he was a very kind and generous man who loved people, not only his players. Giving refs hell is just part of the game. Keep them intimidated and honest so they don't get cute calling ticky-tack BS calls. All good coaches ride the asses of refs...it's half their job on game day. As far as the obscenities written on game balls, that's just locker-room humor as players like to make absurd claims to get laughs - dark humor if you will
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: