News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How times change

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 20, 2024, 11:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Hell to get old, but you can look back and see how the world has changed, in particular, technology, but a whole lot more than just that...some for the better, a lot for the worse

The first time I went to Israel was in 1990. I was 37 yrs old, and my sister went to a vending machine and bought a bottle of water. I laughed my ass off. I said, "I can't believe people would buy a bottle of water and that it's even for sale". She told me that it is common around the world, especially in hotter climates. That was news to me. Now, Walmarts have an entire aisle of nothing but bottled water...by the gallon, 48 packs of different brands of water, etc., and young people buy special bottles for their bottled water as a fashion statement. All the years growing up, I thought nothing of drinking from any water hose lying around on the ground between jumping on rickety ramps with my bicycle with no helmet. I lived

When I was young (late 50's, early 60's) I loved cars and I would sit on the front porch watching cars go buy educating myself to each brand and year...particulary excited to see an Avanti. Exciting because every year, the big car companies would completely retool their manufacturing equipment and deliver an exciting new model, usually radically different from the last year's model...every single year. Now, I can barely tell the difference between cars other than by their grill pattern or insignia...boring  :sleeping:

You tell me the maker of these 2023 cars:

In the old days, you didn't wonder if it was a Ford, a Chevy, a Plymouth, an Oldsmobile or Buick...or who made the Falcon, or the Nova, or the Barracuda...or the Avanti (Studebaker for you old car enthusiasts)

I understand the economics in a highly competitive business and the high cost of retooling and engineering, but it pains me to see a model look almost identical over a 5 year (or longer) span as they make minor changes if at all. And the similarity between car companies (American, European, Japan, S. Korea) is almost a joke...although, I tip my hat to the designers of EVs which seem to have strayed from the "consensus design" of gasoline cars. Some are quite intriguing

When I went to school, if I cut up (which was often), I'd get sent to the office or the teacher would have a talk with my parents (much worse for me), and we had a town cop (Johnnie) who instead of writing me a ticket when I left rubber or for speeding like a mad man, he would stop in and have coffee with my parents, and then I'd get my ass kicked (mostly figuratively, but sometimes I got the real deal). Regardless, the last people on earth I wanted to find out I was a trouble maker, were my parents

I won't even go into technology and going from 45's, to LPs, to 8-track players, to cassettes, to whatever kids use today...or phones, or computers, or flight, or TVs, microwaves, etc. I'll give one example: in 1986 at the company I worked for, we had a climate controlled clean-room that was about 40'X40' and was filled to the walls with giant computer equipment that ran an antiquated (now) CAD system and was the best system from IBM money could buy. My cell phone today has more than a thousand times more computing power and hundreds of times more storage

For the good: I'm thankful for the environmental push to clean up rivers and air and getting rid of certain pesticides. I now can watch eagles fly every day as they hunt up and down a clean river while being antagonized by little birds. Never saw an eagle as a kid, and didn't see one in Upstate New York until I was at least 50 yrs old. Now they are as common as Cardinals and Orioles...maybe more so

Anyway, I digress

Answers to the above are A) Mazda B) BMW and C) Honda

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Ric,

As you well know, change is constant and required for growth and advancement.

At 53, I do reflect on my upbringing and things that were a big deal to me when I was a kid: my Huffy dirt bike with mag wheels, playing at the all-metal playground (slide, monkey bars, and merry-go-round), JC Penney catalog, Army men, cap guns, and my little transistor radio, just to name a few.

I'm a fan of technology and always was. At 9 years old, I even took apart my radio, put it back together and it still worked! I don't always go for the latest and greatest but I do appreciate the advancement in tech. One thing I haven't gotten on board with yet is AI. I'm also not a fan of the realism of altered images and videos (deep fakes). I actually hate how real they are. Nothing good will come from that, IMHO.

To end, I knew all three vehicle manufacturers before I got to the end of your very good post. 👍🏾
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

I am terribly 'old school'. It wouldn't bother me one bit if there were never cell phones and no internet. For all the good we see from it, look what it is doing to the younger generation.
And now that we have AI to deal with, who really knows what is truth and what is AI?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

This is for Tim "the car guy". I obviously used three examples of today's cars that was too easy and Tim knew exactly which was which. So here's a test that's more difficult (IMO) [note: I would only be able to identify one of these cars without seeing the insignia or grill]

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 21, 2024, 06:29:05 PMThis is for Tim "the car guy". I obviously used three examples of today's cars that was too easy and Tim knew exactly which was which. So here's a test that's more difficult (IMO) [note: I would only be able to identify one of these cars without seeing the insignia or grill]

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Wow! I don't recognize any of these lol! The most I can do is name a few of the manufacturers, based on the logos or styling cues.

1) No clue but it does give Mazda vibes from the taillights. The logo looks to be European.

2) Logo reminds me of Citroen but I think there are three chevrons in Citroen's logo.

3) Definitely Alfa Romeo. The wheels are a dead giveaway.

4) Could be either a Ford or Audi. I'm leaning towards Audi.

5) Chevy logo in the wheel center cap.  :P

6) KIA logo in the wheel center cap also.

Living in Europe and Japan for a number of years opened my eyes to more than the standard manufacturers that we see in America. I also used to live for Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Road and Track magazines. I would ride my bike to the mall, go to the bookstore and spend hours going through the magazines. That continued probably well into my thirties (reading the car magazines, not riding my bike to the mall!)  :laugh:

Being a detailer also gets me into a lot of cars that I normally wouldn't be around.

Thanks for the quiz, Ric!  :cheers:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2024, 09:54:56 AMWow! I don't recognize any of these lol! The most I can do is name a few of the manufacturers, based on the logos or styling cues.

1) No clue but it does give Mazda vibes from the taillights. The logo looks to be European.

2) Logo reminds me of Citroen but I think there are three chevrons in Citroen's logo.

3) Definitely Alfa Romeo. The wheels are a dead giveaway.

4) Could be either a Ford or Audi. I'm leaning towards Audi.

5) Chevy logo in the wheel center cap.  :P

6) KIA logo in the wheel center cap also.

Living in Europe and Japan for a number of years opened my eyes to more than the standard manufacturers that we see in America. I also used to live for Car and Driver, Motor Trend, and Road and Track magazines. I would ride my bike to the mall, go to the bookstore and spend hours going through the magazines. That continued probably well into my thirties (reading the car magazines, not riding my bike to the mall!)  :laugh:

Being a detailer also gets me into a lot of cars that I normally wouldn't be around.

Thanks for the quiz, Ric!  :cheers:

Wow...I'm impressed. Never thought about logos on the wheels...LOL

1) I put that one in to stump you because 2024 is the first year of this model...it's the Dodge Hornet
2) Very, very good...I'm impressed...it is a Citroen...really nice looking car considering they made the ugliest cars I've ever seen in my lifetime for years
3) Correct
4) Correct - it's an Audi
5) Correct...in fact, I actually toyed with the idea of the Kia Seltos shown in the Reddish/Orange color before settling on Pluton Blue for my Seltos. At my age, I am pretty conservative in style and bold colors. I don't like being out of style, but I also don't like drawing attention to myself and having people say I bought a "penis extension" or "no fool like an old fool". It's like an old friend who told me back when I was a teenager and admiring his 1967 Stingray, who said, "the problem with these kind of cars kid, is that by the time you are rich enough to afford one, you're too old to appreciate it". Well, I'm old. It's tempting to buy a flashy color on a car, but I am just too conservative in fashion and in toys

Thanks for playing along Tim  :ok:

For those who read this and don't know what I mean by "ugly" cars made by Citroen...here's a few picks to make you laugh (pretty funny for France's car company in a country that prides itself for fashion) ::)

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 22, 2024, 10:20:29 AMWow...I'm impressed. Never thought about logos on the wheels...LOL

1) I put that one in to stump you because 2024 is the first year of this model...it's the Dodge Hornet
2) Very, very good...I'm impressed...it is a Citroen...really nice looking car considering they made the ugliest cars I've ever seen in my lifetime for years
3) Correct
4) Correct - it's an Audi
5) Correct...in fact, I actually toyed with the idea of the Kia Seltos shown in the Reddish/Orange color before settling on Pluton Blue for my Seltos. At my age, I am pretty conservative in style and bold colors. I don't like being out of style, but I also don't like drawing attention to myself and having people say I bought a "penis extension" or "no fool like an old fool". It's like an old friend who told me back when I was a teenager and admiring his 1967 Stingray, who said, "the problem with these kind of cars kid, is that by the time you are rich enough to afford one, you're too old to appreciate it". Well, I'm old. It's tempting to buy a flashy color on a car, but I am just too conservative in fashion and in toys

Thanks for playing along Tim  :ok:

For those who read this and don't know what I mean by "ugly" cars made by Citroen...here's a few picks to make you laugh (pretty funny for France's car company in a country that prides itself for fashion) ::)

Ahhh, yes, the new Dodge Dart! I see the Euro influence. Not a fan of Stellantis taking ownership of the Dodge family. I expect to see more of the line looking more European in future years.

I'm not a big fan of flashy colors either but I appreciate looking at them. One of my favorite manufacturer colors out right now is the Mazda Soul Red premium paint and the Acura/Honda Performance Red Pearl. Just beautiful!

Last, yes, the Citroen's are hideous! Reminds me of the world's ugliest dog!

MightyGiants

When I think back to my first car (a 1969 Dodge Dart), and I consider my last couple of cars, I can't help but feel how far we have come in terms of car technology.  They are safer, less polluting, better performing, more comfortable and far more refined.

Adaptive cruise control, anti-skid breaking, GPS navigation, heated seats and steering wheel, quiet as anything in the cabin, high end sound system with satellite radio or podcasts, heads-up display, blindside warnings, lane keeping, burns much less gas, more cargo room, and so on.  My teen self says I have arrived in the future and it's impressive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2024, 10:42:56 AMAhhh, yes, the new Dodge Dart! I see the Euro influence. Not a fan of Stellantis taking ownership of the Dodge family. I expect to see more of the line looking more European in future years.

I'm not a big fan of flashy colors either but I appreciate looking at them. One of my favorite manufacturer colors out right now is the Mazda Soul Red premium paint and the Acura/Honda Performance Red Pearl. Just beautiful!

Last, yes, the Citroen's are hideous! Reminds me of the world's ugliest dog!

I thought the red color of the Chevy Trax (above pictures) was pretty nice too. I have to confess that I do go for flashy colors on my motorcycle. To fit in the crowd, a bike is supposed to be black. I've always gone for red. Black just seems so blah. Of course, "real bikers" would call me a poser anyway because I don't even put a thousand miles a year on my bikes. I just like looking at them, I guess. Red and chrome has always been my downfall and chrome and custom paint is very expensive...can add thousands of dollars to overall cost

My bike from 10 years ago:

And my current bike:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 22, 2024, 11:03:29 AMWhen I think back to my first car (a 1969 Dodge Dart), and I consider my last couple of cars, I can't help but feel how far we have come in terms of car technology.  They are safer, less polluting, better performing, more comfortable and far more refined.

Adaptive cruise control, anti-skid breaking, GPS navigation, heated seats and steering wheel, quiet as anything in the cabin, high end sound system with satellite radio or podcasts, heads-up display, blindside warnings, lane keeping, burns much less gas, more cargo room, and so on.  My teen self says I have arrived in the future and it's impressive.

You are so right. Ever read about the A10 Warthog fighter plane? Quite amazing. The engineers did NOT build a plane and then figure out how to add machine guns...they engineered the most powerful machine gun ever designed and then built the plane around it like a second skin. For all intents and purposes, it's a flying machine gun

Well same goes with cars. First, the Japanese car companies introduced ergonomics into cars, which led to the battle of companies striving to outdo them. Then came the extra luxuries as standard equipment. When my father bought a '62 Olds 98, it had power windows and we felt like hot stuff because no one we knew had power windows. Now you can't even find a car that power windows are not standard. Now...and this is where I'm headed after bringing up the Warthog...car companies build a computer and then build the car around it. Everything is computerized from the engine, to the transmission, to the dozens of screens images on the dash that can sense everything you're trying to do...show you where to turn...advise that it's time to take a break...using voice for everything from changing radio stations, changing heat settings, to calling a friend...all hands free. If the keys are in my pocket, the doors unlock when I walk up to it...or I can set it to open the tailgate when I come out of the grocery store so I don't have get the key out with my hands full. And in my newest car, a special place /slot under the radio to lay my cell phone that charges it wirelessly as I drive

Airbags were a big addition to the safety of a car...now they have anywhere from 6-10 airbags in the car and automatic everything. Electric parking breaks, blind spot monitoring and warning, etc. Truly amazing. But like I said, it's a computer wrapped in a comfortable safe cabin on four wheels that you can travel in...lol

MightyGiants

@Jolly Blue Giant I am a military history and technology buff.  So, of course, I heard of the A-10; it's one of my favorite aircraft.  The engines are mounted high to protect them.  The pilot sits in a titanium armor tub for protection.  It's slow, can carry a sh1tload of ordinance, and as you said, it's got a killer 30 mm Gatling gun that can make short work of nearly anything.  It did start to show its age in terms of sensors in the various desert conflicts, but I believe that was resolved with upgrades.

Edit to add:  Much like the B-17 in WW 2, there were many stories of A-10s getting shot up and still bringing their pilots safely back to base.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

I've never ridden a motorcycle but if I were ever in the market for one, I'm an absolute sucker for these tricked-out Road Glides!

https://youtu.be/cxP_3olsLrU?si=JBbFjGJdFOAhXMOn

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 22, 2024, 11:33:54 AM@Jolly Blue Giant I am a military history and technology buff.  So, of course, I heard of the A-10; it's one of my favorite aircraft.  The engines are mounted high to protect them.  The pilot sits in a titanium armor tub for protection.  It's slow, can carry a sh1tload of ordinance, and as you said, it's got a killer 30 mm Gatling gun that can make short work of nearly anything.  It did start to show its age in terms of sensors in the various desert conflicts, but I believe that was resolved with upgrades.

When ground forces tell you what scares them more than anything, is seeing Warthogs on the horizon. A bit antiquated, but a fierce ground war weapon. And they can take a beating and keep on going, even when hit with a ton of enemy fire. One time a Warthog flew back to base after one of its wings had been blown off. Incredible

And last year, they came out with the Super A-10 that has increased firepower with advanced bullets that can pierce the toughest tank skin.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2024, 11:48:08 AMI've never ridden a motorcycle but if I were ever in the market for one, I'm an absolute sucker for these tricked-out Road Glides!

https://youtu.be/cxP_3olsLrU?si=JBbFjGJdFOAhXMOn

Pretty bike

I saw a bunch of them down in Daytona a couple years ago. You can buy a nice car (like BMW or Corvette nice) for what it cost for one of those. They start around 70k and go up because everything is custom. And although nice to look at (like choppers), they aren't good for long distance riding or doing anything much more than going up to 30 mph to bike meets. Most people cart them to a hotel near the meet, then ride them a couple miles to their destination. The ground clearance (or lack thereof) makes them a handful to control, and you have to avoid winding roads. But they are amazing pieces of art

If you enjoy riding...the new bikes are engineered for comfort, safety, and being able to ride all day and for long distances if you want. Seat positioning brings in perfect balance, handle grips and positioning for maximum control, wheel size for perfect steering and control, fork angles for perfect handling and absorbing shock, etc.

The "rake" of the front forks is extremely important for handling, and bikes off the showroom floor are engineered for perfect shock absorption. Once the forks are raked for looks though, instead of the shock absorbers actually doing their job, the forks flex and bend. Also, the big thing these days is a fat rear tire. Incredibly difficult to ride comfortably through turns. And the dumbest thing in my opinion, is "ape hanger" handlebars. Talk about rolling the dice with your life

Notice the size of the wheels and the angle of the forks of a bike off the showroom floor that are engineered for safety, comfort, and control

This next one is known as a "death trap"...not only are the front forks raked to such an angle that the shock absorbing tubes are useless, they can also cause the bike to suddenly "pogo"...add to that, the bike removed the rear shocks and replaced it with a "hard tail" for a streamlined look, so there's no shock absorption at all...in fact, the rider's spine becomes the shock absorber and if you hit a bump the rear end of the bike can start pogoing or bouncing until you are catapulted from the bike

Pretty bikes...new style choppers, that are a bitch to ride, but man they are pretty and works of art

Ape hangers...telling the world when you die, you wish to splat like Wile E. Coyote with arms and legs spread wide

This guy has a death wish...first, to ride on a three lane highway while always being in someone's blindspot...and trying to maintain control with ape hangers...duhhh

If you ever decide to become a biker, Tim...stay away from custom jobs unless all you want to do is go to meets and compete for trophies

T200

I've seen bikes similar to all of them! If I ever decide to get a non-car/SUV, it would probably be a Can Am. It's the only thing the wife would feel safe on.