News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Worst quarterbacks in terms of allowing pressures to be converted into sacks in

Started by EliWasrobbed, February 18, 2024, 07:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliWasrobbed

1. Tommy DeVito (37% of pressures turned into sacks)
2. Daniel Jones (32%)
3. Ryan Tannehill (30%)
4. Bryce Young (25%)
5. Zach Wilson (24%)

https://twitter.com/ihartitz/status/1757465944824193328?s=46&t=0xAazF9o6JhfoCzCLm_ofA

meanwhile Tyrod was middle of the pack with the same oline.

While our o-line is bad, the bottom line is our QB play is even worse and most of it is because of their talent and lack thereof involving pressures...

I call for keeping Saquon on a 3 year to help our rookie QB develop and starting from scratch.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Philosophers

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on February 18, 2024, 07:38:32 PMHere's a better idea.  Block the friggin defensive players
Bobby Johnson has left the building. Hopefully better coaching will yield better results.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I had a thread on pressure to sacks this weekend.   If you read that thread, one of the points raised is that QB pressure to sack rates are pretty variable for a given player.

Here is DJ's by season

2019 - 18.1%
2020 - 21.6%
2021 - 15.7%
2022 - 18.7%
2023 - 31.6%

I would think the reason DJ's number spiked in 2023 was that many of his sacks came from blown-blocking assignments that resulted in unblocked rushers and often pressure coming from multiple rushers.  That sort of pressure is tough to avoid.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 20, 2024, 08:55:37 AMI had a thread about this very topic.   If you read that thread, one of the points raised is that QB pressure to sack rates are pretty variable for a given player.

Here is DJ's by season

2019 - 18.1%
2020 - 21.6%
2021 - 15.7%
2022 - 18.7%
2023 - 31.6%

I would think the reason DJ's number spiked in 2023 was that many of his sacks came from blown-blocking assignments that resulted in unblocked rushers and often pressure coming from multiple rushers.  That sort of pressure is tough to avoid.
Rich, some of it happened with disguised and delayed Blitz. Some of it was pre-snap recognition failure. QB pressure to sacks are all put on the QB by PFF, although in my opinion, there is sometimes failure on the part of another player or players to also execute their assignment. For example in the Seattle game, although DJ failed to read the unblocked Edge Rusher, WDR should have recognized the play broke down and he should have blocked that rusher was he swept from left to right. It would have given DJ time to find another option.

Like I told Bob, it's not just one thing that killed that 2023 team and quite frankly, WDR should have been coached to be aware of that scenario. The Coaching Staff, needs to think outside the box when they design these plays.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 20, 2024, 09:09:10 AMRich, some of it happened with disguised and delayed Blitz. Some of it was pre-snap recognition failure. QB pressure to sacks are all put on the QB by PFF, although in my opinion, there is sometimes failure on the part of another player or players to also execute their assignment. For example in the Seattle game, although DJ failed to read the unblocked Edge Rusher, WDR should have recognized the play broke down and he should have blocked that rusher was he swept from left to right. It would have given DJ time to find another option.

Like I told Bob, it's not just one thing that killed that 2023 team and quite frankly, WDR should have been coached to be aware of that scenario. The Coaching Staff, needs to think outside the box when they design these plays.

Ed,

I appreciate this is your view (and as I mentioned in the Dunleavy thread, there is a split in the building), I will say that Carl Banks (who talks with the coaches) was putting the issue on the failures of the O-line to fulfill their assignments and pick up stunts and blitzes early in the season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I totally get it if a QB was sacked say 32 times in a season and say 6-8 of them were probably on the QB for things like moving into the pressure or having great secondary coverage on a play and not throwing it away.  I get that.  However, when a QB gets sacked 85 times in a season which is second worst in NFL history, that is well beyond the fault of the QB.  Maybe he was responsible for 10 or 12, but not say 68.

When Eli was getting sacked 30 times in a season, some fans here were screaming that he needed better protection.  They certainly were not blaming Eli for sacks.

This level of sacks is an OL problem, not a QB problem.  Let's get them reduced to 40 (still high) then folks can b!itch about QB's fault all they want.   

andrew_nyGiants

Anyone who reads me knows I'm not a DJ apologist and in fact, still not sold on him.

HOWEVER: sometimes stats really are over produced. I mean how do you really TRULY measure this type of stat?!

Mighty for example, makes a great point about blown assignments and more that one rusher coming free at the same time.

DJ has plenty on his plate reading coverages and getting rid of the ball on time, particularly seeing and delivering on deep routes.

Statisticians these days IMHO are going a bit over board with all these stats within the stats (if you will).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Painter

Do we really need to debate who and what is most at fault for an inexcusable level of pressures; hurries, hits, and sacks? Honestly, I see QB play as the least to blame when it must perform behind a Division 2 Oline. The same might be said for the League's 4th worst Rushing Offense as well. Either that improves bigly or not much will otherwise, eh!

Cheers!