News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Reading the tea leaves how the top 10 picks might pan out

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 17, 2024, 11:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Just my opinion, but a few things have shaken the cart this past week that have early round implications

By no means do I have any inside information, or for that matter, might be so far off as to sound like I should be picked up by a short bus for a "short ride"...anyway

Keep in mind: the first 10 picks are the most costly (contract wise) and most GMs are smart enough (???) to put the big money on "position strength"...i.e., QBs, WRs, ERs, and OTs...and perhaps CB

A couple things happened in the past few days that make me think some teams in need of an OT are strategizing and ready to compete for one of the top two (i.e., Alt and Fashanu) which would both be top 3 picks in most prior drafts, if not for the bevy of "potential" (with a HUGE emphasis on potential) franchise QBs this year, making it a little different because of the need and rush for QBs

So...Dallas lost their perennial pro-bowl LT to the Jets this week when Tyron Smith signed with them...this, after the Jets already signed RT Morgan Moses from the Raven's squad. So the Jets (expected to address their OL in the draft) will now be in search of a WR or perhaps a DL/ER type like Dallas Turner. With the Jets drafting 10th, they will probably have to move up if they wish to get their hands on one of the top 3 WRs. Meanwhile, the Cowboys will probably be searching for a way up to get their hands on Alt or Fashanu, but I doubt they have the assets to make it happen unless they unload next year's assets. They are kind of in a pickle because they also have doubts about Dak's future. How bout them Cowboys?  :sick:

Secondly, the Titans released LT Andre Dillard after signing him to a 30 million dollar contract exactly one year ago. The Titans draft 7th and will be in a position to snag Alt or Fashanu. The good news is that Titans will probably be sweating bullets that they'll get jumped, which means they might throw us a 2nd to jump to our 6 spot if they think another team is crafting a deal with the Giants (just like the Giants did last year to get Banks). Other teams in need of an OT are Ravens, Miami (especially if Armstrong retires - missed 13 games last year), Saints (after the disastrous draftee Trevor Penning just plain sucked and is benched), and the Commanders (still seems weird calling them that, but I digress) have a big need to fix their offensive line that gave up 65 sacks last year

Anyway - The Giants are sitting pretty good for an opportunity to trade down and pick up assets...should they want to. I guess everyone has a price, but what that is for the Giants to trade down is an unknown. There are teams desperate for a QB, and an OT, and a WR. In a perfect world, the Titans trade their 7 pick to move up to 6 because the Giants don't plan on going OT again in the first

I really think the Giants are in a pretty dang good spot if they wish to collect assets in this draft by trading down...especially if there are a couple of QBs still on the board with first round grades...and now, for a team to grab an OT they believe is crucial to their team

And don't forget that there are several teams who are desperate for a decent CB. This year will be fascinating to watch because I foresee a lot of trading early...but time will tell

:Giants:  :boldblue:  :Giants:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Nice job, Jolly. Your guess is as good as any, and I can see a possibility that it works out as you said.

I agree that the 6th overall is a good spot. It always seems the Giants are just one pick too low to guarantee that at least one player who's true worth a high-1st-round pick will still be there when it's their turn. I figure that will happen again this year.

The possibility of receiving phone calls to trade down is IMO higher this year than it has been in a while, for the reasons you gave and others.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

jgrangers2

Feels like it's going to be a wild draft. The Vikings made that move to 23 and you have to think that's with the express purpose of accumulating capital to move up and draft a QB. That said, is Arizona willing to pass up MHJ for 11 and 23 when they already have a second first round pick? Would New England pass on him if they don't like their QB options?

I feel like the Giants' best options for a trade down will be Minny if they can't find the requisite deal mentioned above or, like you said, Tennessee making a move to grab Alt or Fashanu but even that is probably questionable because I'm not sure who else would be knocking on that door.