News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seems - Offensive Line is Priority One, and things are going to be different

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 18, 2024, 09:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 18, 2024, 11:18:36 AMI'm with Rich- I'm completely tuning out any noise regarding the OL.  I simply can't get myself to care about hearing about who we've added, who we've lost, who may be moving spots, who we may or may not draft, who the new coach is, how great he's supposed to be, etc.  I have zero expectations of our OL ever being good for the rest of my lifetime at this point (and I'm not all that old... :doh: ).  I'll watch with my eyes once the season starts and we'll go from there. 

I think we all are a bit apprehensive, given the history of performance and the failed attempts to fix the offensive line. But what we, collectively, are acknowledging, which is not to be confused with popping the champagne just yet, that they are, as many of us have been saying since that opening day disaster, to make a concerted effort to fix the offensive line, once and for all, so that any semblance of offensive game plan can at least be executed from start to finish without having to go into mayday mode one second into the play. Schoen, Daboll and company have been doing that and we're collectively thankful they at least are doing something about it.

Whether or not the new coach and players will transition smoothly into Daboll's system remains to be seen and, to your point, we're with you on that point.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

for comparison here is the opening day depth chart for 2023

RT   Evan Neal   Matt Peart   Marcus McKethan   
RG   Mark Glowinski   Joshua Ezeudu      
C   John Michael Schmitz Jr.*   Shane Lemieux      
LG   Ben Bredeson   Shane Lemieux      
LT   Andrew Thomas   Matt Peart

Here is the current depth chart

LT  Thomas, Andrew * Miles, Joshua                
LG  STINNIE, AARON * Ezeudu, Joshua                   
C  Schmitz Jr., John Michael *  Schlottmann, Austin * Morrissey, Jimmy             
RG  Runyan, Jon  * McKethan, Marcus *  Mayfield, Jalen             
RT  Eluemunor, Jermaine * Neal, Evan * Cajuste, Yodny
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 18, 2024, 11:38:08 AMfor comparison here is the opening day depth chart for 2023

RT   Evan Neal   Matt Peart   Marcus McKethan   
RG   Mark Glowinski   Joshua Ezeudu      
C   John Michael Schmitz Jr.*   Shane Lemieux      
LG   Ben Bredeson   Shane Lemieux      
LT   Andrew Thomas   Matt Peart

Here is the current depth chart

LT  Thomas, Andrew * Miles, Joshua                
LG  STINNIE, AARON * Ezeudu, Joshua                   
C  Schmitz Jr., John Michael *  Schlottmann, Austin * Morrissey, Jimmy             
RG  Runyan, Jon  * McKethan, Marcus *  Mayfield, Jalen             
RT  Eluemunor, Jermaine * Neal, Evan * Cajuste, Yodny

I think Runyan might be starting LG and Eluemunor the starting RG. Of course, it all depends on what Bricillo wants to do. It will be sorted out in camp and early games

Pretty good interview with Runyan who's played more LG than RG
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 18, 2024, 09:45:50 AMI've thought that from day one. We've lacked high-end talent on the line, but even with some above average players, the coach didn't seem to be able to get them to work in sync. A changing of the coach could be the most significant move this team has made. I hope Bricillo is the real deal, and then I hope if he turns out to have the gift of turning crap into caviar, we pay him and keep him and keep other teams from poaching him

To Rich's point about 10 years of being scarred by 10 years of bad OL play, over that 10 years we've had a succession of coaches who came in as 'saviors', so I'm in the wait and see camp.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll