News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Penix posts some impressive athletic numbers

Started by MightyGiants, March 28, 2024, 02:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

I prefer not to over emphasize any one game for good or bad performance.  Totality and traits.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 07, 2024, 06:32:32 AMPenix is interesting in a lot of positive ways, but I am having a hard time looking the other way on the fact that he was nothing short of shockingly terrible in by far the biggest game of his life. And let's be very clear- it wasn't just an off day. He was truly horrid in that game. And that was the only legitimately strong D he faced this year. That was much more representative of the challenges he'll face from opponents in the NFL. Pac 12 defenses are not.

If "great players make great plays in huge games", he not only didn't tick that box this past year, but he failed miserably at it. He also turns 24 in a few weeks.

This is an example of production scouting.   The reason coaches are high on him is they see Penix has a lot of NLF traits that project well to the next level.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 07, 2024, 11:00:36 AMThis is an example of production scouting.   The reason coaches are high on him is they see Penix has a lot of NLF traits that project well to the next level.

And I'm not denying that he has those traits. I have already acknowledged that he has arm talent and athletic ability, and that he's an interesting prospect. I think how these players play against strong competition in big games is relevant though. Imagine the difference in the narrative if he had been amazing in that game.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 07, 2024, 11:05:28 AMAnd I'm not denying that he has those traits. I have already acknowledged that he has arm talent and athletic ability, and that he's an interesting prospect. I think how these players play against strong competition in big games is relevant though. Imagine the difference in the narrative if he had been amazing in that game.
Jeff, I think it's the magnitude of the game that's the main focus here. All good QB's have bad games and this draft class had their share of them. It has more to do with how they performed and not the stats. That game you referenced was for the College Championship. I look back at how Trevor Lawrence was putting up incredible numbers against suboptimal teams and then when he didn't have as much support around him he came up short in big games. I completely changed my opinion of him as an elite QB. It reminds me of Jones win against a poor Minnesota team in the playoffs and then facing a good team he folds against the Eagles. It was the playoffs. Big games.

I think Lawrence is a good QB but it remains to be seen if he will ever be a difference maker in a huge game. I don't believe Jones ever will. McCarthy on the other hand won all his big games. Penix and Nix both lost big games. Will it mean anything in the big picture? Who really knows, but for sure they are not elite material until they show more. Neither are worthy of the six pick. We have seen their ceiling.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Don't forget, Penix had the game of his career,in the semis, to get his team to the finals.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 07, 2024, 06:32:32 AMPenix is interesting in a lot of positive ways, but I am having a hard time looking the other way on the fact that he was nothing short of shockingly terrible in by far the biggest game of his life. And let's be very clear- it wasn't just an off day. He was truly horrid in that game. And that was the only legitimately strong D he faced this year. That was much more representative of the challenges he'll face from opponents in the NFL. Pac 12 defenses are not.

If "great players make great plays in huge games", he not only didn't tick that box this past year, but he failed miserably at it. He also turns 24 in a few weeks.

So how would you react if the Giants believe his body of work trumps this game, his medicals check out and they take him at 6?
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 07, 2024, 02:11:35 PMSo how would you react if the Giants believe his body of work trumps this game, his medicals check out and they take him at 6?

I would trust that they have done their due diligence and I'd be excited that we now have a new and intriguing option at QB and can finally move on from the incumbent one. I wouldn't view him as a lock to be good, but I wouldn't view any pick that way.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 07, 2024, 02:11:35 PMSo how would you react if the Giants believe his body of work trumps this game, his medicals check out and they take him at 6?

Not sure I trust the Giants when it comes to medicals checking out.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll