News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If Brock Bowers is the pick at 6, how would you feel?

Started by brownelvis54, April 06, 2024, 04:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 07, 2024, 04:09:00 PMThe best teams in the league currently have phenomenal TEs 49ers, Eagles, KC, Ravens etc... so if you think there's a generational TE there, why wouldn't you take them? Having a great TE allows you to do so much with your Wrs.

Personally, I'm skeptical of the label generational.  The last time I heard a player referred to as such, he was drafted #2 overall and recently signed a FA contract with a division foe. He had also been touched by the hand of God.

Look at the TEs drafted in the first round in the last 20+ years. Assuming those drafted by their teams in the top 10 were viewed by some in the front office as generational or a least very good, we have Pitts (#4), Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow(both #6), Hockensen (#8) and Eric Ebron (#10).  After that, some had nice careers (Shockey, Njoku, Olsen for example) but the rest were meh.

No one doubts the impact a really good TE can have on an offense but the question is taking one at #6.  With regard to the Eagles, Ravens, Chiefs et al their TEs were round 2 or later.  Plus, these guys also find themselves in offenses with some combination of good QB play, other threats on the field and excellent coaching.
Again, Bowers at 6 is the one choice I would not be happy with.  I might not throw the remote but it could be the coup de Grace on 63 years as a season ticket holder
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

PSUBeirut

I'll also add- I'm not sure it does much good to bring guys like Kelce, Gates, or Gronk into this particular conversation.  In that one sentence you are listing 3 of the top 4 pass-catching TEs of ALL TIME (at least IMO- those 3 + Tony G).  I mean, of course it would be nice to get a HALL OF FAME tight end in rounds 2-3+. 

Here's the funny thing though- not a single TE drafted in the first round in the last 24 years has come even close to those players:  https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/gallery/nfl-draft-falcons-tight-end-kyle-pitts-hayden-hurst-atlanta/

So yeah, hard pass for me on any tight end at 6, in the top 15, or maybe even all the way through round 1. 

DaveBrown74

Shelf life matters in this discussion too, at least for me it does. Tight ends are generally still in their primes into their early 30s if not mid 30s. RBs peak at 24/25 and start declining at 27/28, if not younger than that (see Zeke and arguably Barkley). Very few are still materially additive (or even in the league) at 30. They also have a very high injury rate, making the committee approach more sensible (hence why not using high picks or big contracts on any single one player makes sense at this position).

The RB piece is a bit off topic as far as this thread goes though, so I'll leave it there.

Philosophers

The funny part is the one guy who is generational who has probably never been given that label is TJ Watt.

B1GBLUE

I've heard things like "he's the best WR in the draft in a GREAT wr draft".

I cant say i'd love a TE at 6, but he gets that "generational talent" tag thrown around a bit. look, if the guy winds up being the next kelce or kittle, hes EVERY bit worth the 6th overall pick. if hes the next evan engram, we have yet another huge setback.

I'd be very cautiously optimistic. I think we have bigger needs. We've had some decent tight ends and never found a way to maximize their ability. He would probably he a waste here, a la saquon. Get a true #1 receiver (odunze), a qb (still wouldnt be my favorite but hey you gotta swing for the fences with qbs), or some more oline help. These are all more important than a TE that isnt known for being a complete TE.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

If the Giants draft Bowers at 6, they can come back and still get an X WR1 in the 2nd round.  Add to that a RB in a later round then the Giants will look materially improved at skill positions on offense.  If the new OL coach improves the OL play, the offense may look completely different than in 2023.  If DJ fails in 2024, look at what the next rookie QB would have to work with.

coggs

I would not be happy.  Feel like the big prospect TE's never live up to potential.

Philosophers

Quote from: coggs on April 12, 2024, 11:11:42 AMI would not be happy.  Feel like the big prospect TE's never live up to potential.

I think you are right when the talk is about physicals such as height/size or speed.  That's where Kyle Pitts or Vernon Davis types come up a bit short.  TEs whose skills are great hands, tough running after the catch, etc. are usually the ones who live up to it.  That's more the Bowers, Shockey types.

Stringer Bell

This is why I don't get the "Bowers at 6" love. The comp people keep throwing around is Kittle. Which, to me, is being generous to Bowers and would represent a best-case scenario.

So let's continue to be generous and say he has a 50-50 shot at achieving the Kittle comp. Kittle's career averages are 65 catches, 900 yards, and 5 TDs a year. Those are not #6 pick numbers.

If I'm picking someone that high, I want someone with Jar'Marr Chase's numbers - 90 catches, 1,230 yards, and 10 TDs a year. And yes, I get they're different positions. But the point is that Nabers and / or Odunze will be there and offer Chase-level production.

Drafting Bowers that high would be a colossal mistake.

jgrangers2

Quote from: Stringer Bell on April 12, 2024, 12:05:54 PMThis is why I don't get the "Bowers at 6" love. The comp people keep throwing around is Kittle. Which, to me, is being generous to Bowers and would represent a best-case scenario.

So let's continue to be generous and say he has a 50-50 shot at achieving the Kittle comp. Kittle's career averages are 65 catches, 900 yards, and 5 TDs a year. Those are not #6 pick numbers.

If I'm picking someone that high, I want someone with Jar'Marr Chase's numbers - 90 catches, 1,230 yards, and 10 TDs a year. And yes, I get they're different positions. But the point is that Nabers and / or Odunze will be there and offer Chase-level production.

Drafting Bowers that high would be a colossal mistake.

This is where I stand. If you think his upside is George Kittle, he's not worth it. If you think his upside is Travis Kelce then there's a convo to be had.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 12, 2024, 12:45:34 PMThis is where I stand. If you think his upside is George Kittle, he's not worth it. If you think his upside is Travis Kelce then there's a convo to be had.

Agree.  And here is my disconnect- no sane person on the planet should ever mention a TE prospect as having a Travis Kelce (or Antonio Gates or Rob Gronkowsi) ceiling.  Kelce is the GOAT and the other 2, IMO, are 2 of the next best 3 tight ends of ALL TIME.  No one could or should project a prospect to be in the top 5 of their position of all time....regardless of position. 

Bowers might be good, he might be great, he also might be like every other TE drafted in the first round this century- nothing special.

jgrangers2

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 12, 2024, 12:52:05 PMAgree.  And here is my disconnect- no sane person on the planet should ever mention a TE prospect as having a Travis Kelce (or Antonio Gates or Rob Gronkowsi) ceiling.  Kelce is the GOAT and the other 2, IMO, are 2 of the next best 3 tight ends of ALL TIME.  No one could or should project a prospect to be in the top 5 of their position of all time....regardless of position. 

Bowers might be good, he might be great, he also might be like every other TE drafted in the first round this century- nothing special.

Right. And if this draft didn't have three elite wide receiver prospects, there may be a different discussion because he may legitimately be a top 2 or 3 pass catcher in most classes, but having MHJ, Nabers and Odunze has to change the narrative around a guy like Bowers.