News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

T'Vondre Sweat cost himself millions last night for being stupid

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 08, 2024, 08:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

DT T'Vondre Sweat, the highly ranked big tackle from Texas got arrested last night for DWI. Some player always pulls a bonehead stunt just before the draft. I don't think the Giants were interested anyway, unless they wanted a backup to Dexter, but who knows. He was slotted late first-to-mid second (if the talking heads and mocks are right). I suspect he'll drop a few rounds now. As Forrest says, "stupid is as stupid does", and this was one stupid move
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Dumb move for sure.

Good for teams that were looking at him. His draft stock will drop and they can pick him up for a later round pick. It's a win-win for the team; if he realizes his poor choice and turns things around, the team benefits. If he doesn't and craps out, it only cost the team a late pick.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I just don't understand in the era of Uber and Lyft how any young person gets in trouble for DWI.  In my day, it was either a designated driver or you had to watch how much you drank (a far from perfect solution) as getting rides was not easy (you had to hope you could arrange a taxi, and they were quite expensive).  Now you just Uber where you need to go and with the Name and Likeness money players get now, the top players can easily afford the rides.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 08, 2024, 10:21:48 AMI just don't understand in the era of Uber and Lyft how any young person gets in trouble for DWI.  In my day, it was either a designated driver or you had to watch how much you drank (a far from perfect solution) as getting rides was not easy (you had to hope you could arrange a taxi, and they were quite expensive).  Now you just Uber where you need to go and with the Name and Likeness money players get now, the top players can easily afford the rides.

Alchohol affects judgement.  And believe me, I get what you are saying. 

files58

Should he be available to the Giants when they pick 3rd-4th round then let's see if they learned anything from the La'el Collins fiasco, and take a shot with this guy. We're here to win football games, not run a Finishing School. He got caught, how many 21-23 year olds don't. I'm not condoning his behavior.

MightyGiants

Quote from: files58 on April 08, 2024, 10:30:48 AMShould he be available to the Giants when they pick 3rd-4th round then let's see if they learned anything from the La'el Collins fiasco, and take a shot with this guy. We're here to win football games, not run a Finishing School. He got caught, how many 21-23 year olds don't. I'm not condoning his behavior.

I don't think the La'el Collins situation is a match for what you have here.  This player was caught driving drunk after having a long history of partying too hard (and telling teams that was behind him).  In the case of Collins, there was a suspicion (his former girlfriend was murdered) but that suspicion was eventually proven unfounded.   As far as I can tell, in this case, the prospect did drive drunk and got caught.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Having zero sense and zero self-control when teams already had a character flag on you because of reports of your partying in college is dumb. Doing it when you had already been questioned on your drinking and maturity in combine interviews/team meetings is dumber. Doing it in the final stages of the run-up to a draft that could see you become a multi-millionaire is self-harm.

Taken together this means I have to disagree with files. This incident is part of a pattern not a one-off youthful indiscretion. How much discipline will he have when getting paid? How do you satisfy yourself he will suddenly 'get it' and be a functional professional?

His talent will get him drafted so he will get a chance to prove me wrong.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jolly Blue Giant

Jerruh is salivating at the opportunity to make him a Cowboy on the cheap
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

I suspect the young man is an alcoholic or has mental health issues that lead to self-destructive behavior

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1777336533231534450
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: files58 on April 08, 2024, 10:30:48 AMShould he be available to the Giants when they pick 3rd-4th round then let's see if they learned anything from the La'el Collins fiasco, and take a shot with this guy. We're here to win football games, not run a Finishing School. He got caught, how many 21-23 year olds don't. I'm not condoning his behavior.
I would draft him in the 4th + round. That round is a crap shoot anyway.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GloryDays

This man's size and talent on the field, plus our need to sure up our rush defense makes this pick in the 4th or 5th round worth the gamble.

Philosophers

He's not falling to the 4th or 5th round.  No way with that talent.  Eagles took Carter in the first round.  This kid is 2nd round at worst.  Space eaters who clog up a middle and can free up their DL teammates are a premium.

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 08, 2024, 12:10:53 PMI suspect the young man is an alcoholic or has mental health issues that lead to self-destructive behavior

https://x.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1777336533231534450

Hi Rich @MightyGiants .

He very well could be an alcoholic as his behaviors and denial it is an issue certainly point that way.

I would be careful with casually diagnosing a person with mental illness unless you are qualified in the profession to do so or, at a bare minimum, have lived with or worked with or around those who suffer mental illness. I suspect you were implying depression in his case and, if that be the case, I see where you are coming from.

These kids are put through these situations and some just can't handle all the external pressure, or even the pressure of expectation, talented or not.

Instead of looking at him as a draft commodity, he should first be viewed as a person who is in denial of something he uses drinking as a crutch to deal with. Until he gets that fixed, he's not going to realize any dreams in the NFL, or the team who drafts him will be greatly disappointed.

I wish him, the person, all the best in getting his life on track. If football is in the picture, after that, then that's a blessing.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on April 09, 2024, 11:36:38 AMHi Rich @MightyGiants .

He very well could be an alcoholic as his behaviors and denial it is an issue certainly point that way.

I would be careful with casually diagnosing a person with mental illness unless you are qualified in the profession to do so or, at a bare minimum, have lived with or worked with or around those who suffer mental illness. I suspect you were implying depression in his case and, if that be the case, I see where you are coming from.

These kids are put through these situations and some just can't handle all the external pressure, or even the pressure of expectation, talented or not.

Instead of looking at him as a draft commodity, he should first be viewed as a person who is in denial of something he uses drinking as a crutch to deal with. Until he gets that fixed, he's not going to realize any dreams in the NFL, or the team who drafts him will be greatly disappointed.

I wish him, the person, all the best in getting his life on track. If football is in the picture, after that, then that's a blessing.

Peace!

Chris,

I am not diagnosing him with a mental health issue; rather, many people who engage in self-destructive behavior often have mental health issues.   I was just listing it as another possibility, along with alcoholism. 

To me, I think it's a bit of a lazy take to just to write him off as a dumb-ass.   I think he could be dealing with legitimate issues with addiction or mental health.   I am not saying that is certain, but it seems like a strong possibility.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on April 09, 2024, 07:35:32 AMHe's not falling to the 4th or 5th round.  No way with that talent.  Eagles took Carter in the first round.  This kid is 2nd round at worst.  Space eaters who clog up a middle and can free up their DL teammates are a premium.

I feel like the wide bodied space eaters usually fall further in the draft than many expect them to.  Unless they have some pass rusking abilities, they are 2 down run stuffers and most teams dont spend high picks on those types.