News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

SI Interview Joe Schoen by Albert Breer

Started by Ed Vette, April 09, 2024, 08:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 09, 2024, 03:53:56 PMI will say this: The Giants gave away a valuable (in terms of trading up if they wanted a quarterback) high second-round pick in the Burns trade.  I have to think, at the very least, that precludes the Giants from trading up for a QB, and perhaps tips Schoen's overall draft intentions (that he is drafting a WR unless perhaps the right QB falls to him).
Rich: That makes sense. I suppose they could get around that problem if they're willing to part with multiple picks next yr and/or in later yrs (they could also trade one of their few really good players... sure hope not). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 09, 2024, 11:59:02 AMI will add one more thing I remember.  Part of Breer's reasoning was another losing season could cost jobs.

Rebuilding poorly in an effort to 'win now' could also end up costing jobs.  I'm not that down with the idea that the Giants brain trust is good at strategic thinking.  I think there was some delusion over the 2022 season.  Thinking that because they made the play-offs via smoke and mirrors meant that they had a base they just needed to add a few pieces to.  And running a very soft camp when what the really needed a tough rigorous camp to optimize their limited talent was a massive misreading of the situation, IMO.

Who they got in FA, and who they draft, is all well and good.  But for me it is how they manage all of the pre-season training events that will tell the tale.  It will tell me whether they learned from the 2023 debacle.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 09, 2024, 03:53:56 PMI will say this: The Giants gave away a valuable (in terms of trading up if they wanted a quarterback) high second-round pick in the Burns trade.  I have to think, at the very least, that precludes the Giants from trading up for a QB, and perhaps tips Schoen's overall draft intentions (that he is drafting a WR unless perhaps the right QB falls to him).

I don't think he ever seriously considered trading up for a QB because the top 3 teams all need QBs and are not going to trade down.  And if they are going to move up to 4 or 5 they probably don't need the extra 2nd rounder to do it. 

So I think he probably looked at it like the 2nd round pick might be great, he might be good, or he might be bad...but I KNOW Burns is great.  So let me just go get that guy. Obviously a contract came along with the pick which can't be ignored but if Burns plays to the level he has, particularly with Dexter/Thibs on that line with him, he'll be worth every penny. And if he doesn't...well then that's on Schoen and he'll have to eat it.