News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is there a QB shortage?

Started by MightyGiants, April 10, 2024, 08:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 10, 2024, 05:02:17 PMContrary to popular belief, Mahomes didn't just happen in a vacuum. He was assisted in reaching his potential as a pro by the best QB friendly head coach since Bill Walsh.

Despite being the "best QB friendly head coach" in 30 years (in your estimation), Reid never won the Superbowl until he had Mahomes. His reputation when he left Philly was a coach who could not win the big one, despite very talented squads (recall the putative "Dream Team"). Mahomes has done a ton for Reid's legacy. My statements also do not imply anything other than Reid is a very good coach.

jimc

Quote from: katkavage on April 10, 2024, 04:28:54 PMGetting your QB is worth at least four position players. He is that important to the success of your team.

I don't quite get the correlation, but of course the QB is important.  You can win with a good cast of characters and an average QB. We have done it.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

katkavage

Quote from: jimc on April 10, 2024, 05:46:27 PMI don't quite get the correlation, but of course the QB is important.  You can win with a good cast of characters and an average QB. We have done it.
When?

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 10, 2024, 05:15:09 PMDespite being the "best QB friendly head coach" in 30 years (in your estimation), Reid never won the Superbowl until he had Mahomes. His reputation when he left Philly was a coach who could not win the big one, despite very talented squads (recall the putative "Dream Team"). Mahomes has done a ton for Reid's legacy. My statements also do not imply anything other than Reid is a very good coach.

You could also point out that Reid never won a Super Bowl without Steve Spagnoluo as his DC or Travis Kelcy as his TE
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 10, 2024, 06:48:53 PMYou could also point out that Reid never won a Super Bowl without Steve Spagnoluo as his DC or Travis Kelcy as his TE

Why would I? QB is the most important position on the field and Mahomes is a generational superstar. This was a thread about QBs. The other comment mentioned Reid's ability with QBs and I was identifying that the primary reason he has such a reputation is Mahomes.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 10, 2024, 07:13:58 PMWhy would I? QB is the most important position on the field and Mahomes is a generational superstar. This was a thread about QBs. The other comment mentioned Reid's ability with QBs and I was identifying that the primary reason he has such a reputation is Mahomes.

I bring that up because I believe the conventional wisdom is that quarterbacks are given too much credit for victories and defeats.  While QB is the most important position on the field, it's just a single position on a team with 22 starters (and more on special teams and key subs).

Reid's ability to coach up QBs is generationally great, Reid was enjoying success before he ever met Mahommes
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ralphpal1

Like someone wrote
Every team.wants a top 5 QB
The only problem is there are only 5 of them
You need a QB with the IT factor
There are a lot of amazing QB but its always
If this happen
If this didnt happen
Only if this happened
The 49ers should of won both of those superbowls
The reason why they didnt
When they had to make that throw they didnt
The throws also.werent hard to make
They just didnt step up
It happens
Like in basketball
Big shot horey had it
7 game winning shots
7 rings
Was he the best ? No, he wasnt
But he had that It factor

jimc

katkavage

Quote from: jimc on April 10, 2024, 07:57:37 PMHostetler 1991
33 years ago. A different era. And, like I said earlier there were exceptions when another player besides QB were so dominant. The Giants had one of those players on that team. LT. But the reality is, it's a QB-centric league now. More so than ever before.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: katkavage on April 10, 2024, 06:41:16 PMWhen?

2007 and 2011.  Those Superbowls were built on a great defense more than a great QB.  Take away those 2 playoff runs and Eli is an average QB with a .500 winning percentage.  And if scouting QBs is hard enough, scouting a QB that can go on 2 playoff runs that are out of character with the rest of his career is impossible - it is a matter of luck and we got lucky.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

katkavage

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 11, 2024, 03:42:45 AM2007 and 2011.  Those Superbowls were built on a great defense more than a great QB.  Take away those 2 playoff runs and Eli is an average QB with a .500 winning percentage.  And if scouting QBs is hard enough, scouting a QB that can go on 2 playoff runs that are out of character with the rest of his career is impossible - it is a matter of luck and we got lucky.
I agree about luck. And exceptions now and then. But you can't deny history. The overall history and fact is that it's  it's about the QB. And Eli during that period was a top ten QB.Ypu can't get there with average.

jimc

Quote from: katkavage on April 10, 2024, 08:09:52 PM33 years ago. A different era. And, like I said earlier there were exceptions when another player besides QB were so dominant. The Giants had one of those players on that team. LT. But the reality is, it's a QB-centric league now. More so than ever before.

I'm just not feeling that the QB's in this draft are worth giving up picks for. I've said it before, none of them may prove to be better than what you already have. To invest draft capital to take one, the FO needs be in "love" with the guy.

TONKA56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on April 10, 2024, 05:15:09 PMDespite being the "best QB friendly head coach" in 30 years (in your estimation), Reid never won the Superbowl until he had Mahomes. His reputation when he left Philly was a coach who could not win the big one, despite very talented squads (recall the putative "Dream Team"). Mahomes has done a ton for Reid's legacy. My statements also do not imply anything other than Reid is a very good coach.

What exactly is your point?