News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Kurt Warner talks scouting QBs and QB prospects

Started by MightyGiants, April 10, 2024, 12:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

On this episode of the Giants Huddle podcast, John Schmeelk is joined by NFL Network's Kurt Warner to discuss the most important traits to look for when evaluating a quarterback prospect and break down the game of each top quarterback coming out in the 2024 NFL Draft
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

This was a pretty good interview by John Schmeelk of Kurt Warner. A few comments and thoughts.

I respect Warner not just for his knowledge but for the kind of man he is. I remember the day in Albany at Camp where I saw him signing autographs for so many children until there were no more to sign.

I always felt he was pulled too soon that season but we all knew it was Eli's time. I felt the team would have definitely faired better that year if Warner had finished the season. Eli got his ass kicked the remainder of 2004. Fortunately it didn't break him but made him stronger.

Warner was criticized for holding the ball too long. I remember all the articles timing his release. It was a new and different system and perhaps he was in a different approach to the reads. In the interview he credited himself with being one of the best at reading Defenses and routes, and perhaps that season helped him toward his future successes. I always wondered what would have been if Eli wasn't drafted and Kurt Warner was the Giants QB in the Coughlin years.

I think that Kurt is looking at this draft class through the eyes of what he did best and I know I'll get some groans here, but he was way too harsh on Drake Maye. He failed to see all the good things he did on the field that quite frankly, Bobby Skinner pointed out. Bobby was very objective and it wasn't all roses, but he hit in his reads, the ability to move within the pocket, make incredible throws in tight windows with anticipation, throws outside the numbers in a system that didn't try to attack the middle of the field, escape pressure to make throws downfield and not check-downs while taking hits, and gaining yards with his legs when there was nothing there. Yes, Maye bounces a lot and I don't see that being eliminated completely but guess what HOF QB bounced a lot before delivery? Peyton Manning. And although Manning has a sweet Mickey Mantle swing with a beautiful delivery but he didn't have the arm that Maye has. It's not going to hurt him at the next level. He does it to keep himself in his toes to move within the pocket and avoid pressure and that's going to help him at the next level.

That said, Maye has to cut down on those wtf passes, but with the exception of one game, it's way overblown. That can be corrected.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

What Warner did hit on is how all these QBs will have to learn and grown at the NFL level. In most cases they will face challenges they didn't face before and have to do things they didn't have to do. They won't have all day to throw, the hash marks will make a big difference, the clap will move to cadence, they will have to move the ball and get first downs, so those deep passes will not be happening all day. Which is why I think Bo Nix will have success at the next level. They will have to learn to take snaps UC and get proficient in Play Action. They will have to learn to read presnap exotic blitz packages and disguised coverages.

Those that can't or won't, will certainly fail. And we know the odds of failure.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 11, 2024, 08:11:02 AMThis was a pretty good interview by John Schmeelk of Kurt Warner. A few comments and thoughts.

I respect Warner not just for his knowledge but for the kind of man he is. I remember the day in Albany at Camp where I saw him signing autographs for so many children until there were no more to sign.

I always felt he was pulled too soon that season but we all knew it was Eli's time. I felt the team would have definitely faired better that year if Warner had finished the season. Eli got his ass kicked the remainder of 2004. Fortunately it didn't break him but made him stronger.

Warner was criticized for holding the ball too long. I remember all the articles timing his release. It was a new and different system and perhaps he was in a different approach to the reads. In the interview he credited himself with being one of the best at reading Defenses and routes, and perhaps that season helped him toward his future successes. I always wondered what would have been if Eli wasn't drafted and Kurt Warner was the Giants QB in the Coughlin years.

I think that Kurt is looking at this draft class through the eyes of what he did best and I know I'll get some groans here, but he was way too harsh on Drake Maye. He failed to see all the good things he did on the field that quite frankly, Bobby Skinner pointed out. Bobby was very objective and it wasn't all roses, but he hit in his reads, the ability to move within the pocket, make incredible throws in tight windows with anticipation, throws outside the numbers in a system that didn't try to attack the middle of the field, escape pressure to make throws downfield and not check-downs while taking hits, and gaining yards with his legs when there was nothing there. Yes, Maye bounces a lot and I don't see that being eliminated completely but guess what HOF QB bounced a lot before delivery? Peyton Manning. And although Manning has a sweet Mickey Mantle swing with a beautiful delivery but he didn't have the arm that Maye has. It's not going to hurt him at the next level. He does it to keep himself in his toes to move within the pocket and avoid pressure and that's going to help him at the next level.

That said, Maye has to cut down on those wtf passes, but with the exception of one game, it's way overblown. That can be corrected.

Ed,

What Maye does well will not be all that important if he doesn't improve his consistency.  A QB who misses too many routine throws in the NFL will find themselves in 2nd and 3rd and long and often having to punt the ball away because those misses will put the offense behind schedule. 

I don't know if Maye can clean up his flaws (that many evaluators have gone over).  If he can, he has the potential to be a good NFL QB; if he doesn't, he will end up being a backup QB in this league.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2024, 08:53:49 AMEd,

What Maye does well will not be all that important if he doesn't improve his consistency.  A QB who misses too many routine throws in the NFL will find themselves in 2nd and 3rd and long and often having to punt the ball away because those misses will put the offense behind schedule. 

I don't know if Maye can clean up his flaws (that many evaluators have gone over).  If he can, he has the potential to be a good NFL QB; if he doesn't, he will end up being a backup QB in this league.
Of course I agree that he has to clean up his flaws but let's not overplay this. He had 5 more interceptions than Daniels and JJ with almost 100 more attempts. Yes, his comp % dropped three points in his two years but he's still over 60%. He didn't have the protection that JJ had or his rushing attack. He didn't have Nabors and Thomas throwing the same play, play after play. We give five years of excuses for Daniel Jones while all these gurus lambaste and lampoon this kid, with two years of experience.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

GloryDays

I do not have the eye for QB talent, mainly projecting what I see in college games to the next level, but the more I read or hear what experts say about these QB prospects, I feel stronger about not gambling on one of these questionable prospects with our 6th pick; trade back if there is interest, fill more holes and get more talents for the offense around DJ. If by the end of 2024 the O is still struggling and thus QB seems to be the main problem, then we can spend resources to address QB.

Philosophers

Quote from: GloryDays on April 11, 2024, 01:34:07 PMI do not have the eye for QB talent, mainly projecting what I see in college games to the next level, but the more I read or hear what experts say about these QB prospects, I feel stronger about not gambling on one of these questionable prospects with our 6th pick; trade back if there is interest, fill more holes and get more talents for the offense around DJ. If by the end of 2024 the O is still struggling and thus QB seems to be the main problem, then we can spend resources to address QB.

If you are Drake or JJ and you have a chance to play with Justin Jefferson, TJ Hockenson, Jordan Addison, etc vs Wan'Dale and Jalin, I have to think the decision is easy.

GloryDays

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2024, 01:50:34 PMIf you are Drake or JJ and you have a chance to play with Justin Jefferson, TJ Hockenson, Jordan Addison, etc vs Wan'Dale and Jalin, I have to think the decision is easy.

Exactly... so you have to set the stage first. No QB< DJ or any of these QBs who require a high pick can succeed behind a porous line and Receivers who can't get open quickly; neither would they want to come here and get their career ruined.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2024, 01:50:34 PMIf you are Drake or JJ and you have a chance to play with Justin Jefferson, TJ Hockenson, Jordan Addison, etc vs Wan'Dale and Jalin, I have to think the decision is easy.
As if they have a choice.