News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

20 years ago, THE TRADE

Started by LennG, April 21, 2024, 08:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/eli-manning-giants-nfl-draft-n099eo6r

Wednesday marks the 20th anniversary of the Giants' acquisition of Eli Manning from San Diego in a draft day trade that forever changed the franchise.

Great read and great memories.

Eli being Eli, he stopped for a sandwich before his pro day.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at the edge of my seat and the only player I wanted was Eli. I went from extreme disappointment when the draft started, to incredible elation a few minutes later. After my stroke back in 2006, I am not allowed to let myself experience extreme highs and lows...something might pop again. So this upcoming draft, it's que será, será
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

nb587

Once the initial elation passed, I was totally surprised that many fans thought we overpaid.  Or, that we could have gotten someone comparable staying with the 4th pick.  I thought then and now that Accorsi, who I was not a fan of, basically stole Eli from the Chargers.  I didnt know then but to me, it didn't take too long to see that Big Ben and Rivers were physically gifted but questionable that they would work here mentally or emotionally.  Last, I saw Eli beat an Old Miss team playing an SEC powerhouse with about 10% of their talent

MightyGiants

No. 1: San Diego → New York Giants. San Diego traded Manning to the New York Giants in exchange for Philip Rivers and the Giants' third round selection in this draft (#65) and their first- and fifth-round selections in 2005[5]

While the trade certainly wasn't a bad one, we will never know what Rivers or Big Ben (and the extra draft capital) would have done with the Giants.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

IMVHO. They couldn't have done any better than.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DJN

What current Giant's fans might not know or remember is that Eli's first few years were much like Daniel Jones's...It took him a few years, and had to bring in talent to help him !!

coggs

Quote from: DJN on April 22, 2024, 03:32:40 PMWhat current Giant's fans might not know or remember is that Eli's first few years were much like Daniel Jones's...It took him a few years, and had to bring in talent to help him !!
Very true.  Fans were ready to hang him after the Minnesota game in 2007.  He had a lot more talent around him than Jones has ever had and a MUCH better defense.