News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: gregf on March 15, 2022, 06:13:17 PM
Hey Lenn. I can read front porch now on taptalk.   I loved Reacher. You mentioned Valhalla. Have you watched Lost Kingdom?  I just finished last season, real good stuff for Vikiings fans. 

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Greg

Just LOVE The Last Kingdom. In fact, rewatched the last 3 episodes from the last season just to get caught up and started watching the new season tonight. I'll be thru with it by the weekend. Utred is back on the warpath and excitement for everyone.    :ok: :ok: :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

About a year ago I started watching "Outer Banks" on Netlix. I just couldn't get into it. Now, a full year or more later and having run out of things to watch, I started to watch it again. Holy cow - the pace picked up and it's addicting. Not quite Ozark addicting, but really addicting...especially by the end of the first season and the beginning of the second season. There are two seasons and a third that is yet to be released.

It's filmed in South Carolina and pits the "pogues" (hard working class kids) against the elitists (millionaires and their kids). The pogues discover there is 400 million dollars in gold hidden somewhere and they have the clues to find it. However, the elitists' (especially one of the parents) wants it for himself and the battle pursues over the gold once it's been found. Brutal fights, drug abuse amongst the rich, plenty of people end up dead and murder becomes just part of getting the prized gold. Good acting under a cool setting.

Season 1 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk_hFfUFXh4

Season 2 trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slC_drCw1dA
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

We are away, but we have our nights free and with our Firestick, we are able to watch a lot of what we watch at home.

That said, we started watching on Disney+ "The Beatles-Get Back"      https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9735318/

As might be expected, being from that generation, we have always been huge Beatles fans and my darling wife simply cannot watch enough things about them even after 60+ years. So, seems they found about 80 hours of footage of them trying to put together their last concert in 1969, sort of a farewell thing, live. They need 14 new songs and they haven't performed live in over 2 years and really haven't been together, as a group, for over 6 months. So they gave all this footage to Peter Jackson, of LOTR fame to make some special about this.
So we have 3 chapters, each running about 2 1/2 hours long, of the Fab Four trying to come together to do this concert. If you remember, it ended up being the concert they did on the rooftop but we haven't gotten to that yet.
We are about 1/2 way thru the 7 1/2 hours and personally, I find many parts very slow, dry, and devoid of anything interesting. Myt DW, on the other hand, is fascinated with the chance to watch them in their own environment, with the camera being a nosey neighbor. They kid, they smoke, they curse like regular people. It is fascinating in a way, to watch how they create songs and music but again, if they had cut it to 4 hours, I would have been happy. As we get closer to the concert, I'm sure things will really pick up as most of the music will be now Beatles standards, but then, all new stuff.
If you are or were a Beatles fan you need to see this, as really this is the end of this group, never to be seen agasin.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Looking forward to seeing that, but as of now it's not being shown on any of the streaming services we have.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

I just finished watching 'The Last Kingdom and it never let me down as truly one of the good series on Netflix. If you are into Vikings, Lords, and Ladies, backstabbing and jsut some great action, don't miss this series. I don't know if this was the finale for good, but it sure didn't hold anything back. Great watch.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Just started watching Yellowstone (Peacock) and I like it. Like so many shows, once the characters get well-defined, it jumps up in interest.

Also been rewatching The Mick (Hulu) and I still laugh my ass off. One of the funniest sitcoms since Seinfeld and Two and Half Men

Another sitcom that is funny and interesting is The Guestbook (Hulu). If you ever watched My Name is Earl and/or Community you'll recognize a slew of the same actors/actresses. Each episode brings in a different story with different people renting a cabin - all with major problems that they think will be solved by spending a week there. The people of the community are repeats, but the story always centers on a new group of people. Worth watching for some laughs.

Community (Hulu, Netflix?) is a six season series about the top lawyer in a firm who gets busted after it is discovered his education at Columbia (the country, not the university, which he claimed) is fraudulent and he has to go to community college. One of the stars is Chevy Chase and to be honest, the show would be much better without him. Anyway, it has some funny - yet corny - humor. Not for everyone, but some people really like it

Also, if anyone has not seen Only Murders in the Building (Hulu) yet, you should. Great cast and great story with a lot of subtle humor. Season 2 is going to be released in June.

Older movies/series worth watching:

One of the funniest movies ever (you probably have all seen it) is My Cousin Vinny (Hulu; HBO Max; Prime)
One of the best dramas ever (again, most have seen it) is Double Jeopardy (Hulu; HBO Max)
I watched Pain & Gain (Hulu and I think HBO) starring Dayne Johnson and Mark Wahlberg and liked it. Lots of girls in bikinis, set in high end Miami, murder, attempted murder, sometimes hilarious, sometimes creepy - different
Best dark "humor" series Fargo (Netflix 4 seasons) thought of this because Chris Rock stars in the 4th season as head of the black crime family in Kansas City and I became a fan of his. I had never seen him in a serious role. Always thought of him as a comic. But he nails his role in the movie

Newer movies worth watching (IMHO):

The Adam Project (Netflix) - I'm not a huge scifi guy, but I really liked it for what it's worth. For some reason, I always like time travel movies
Red Notice (Netflix) is a great spy/international thief movie with Ryan Reynolds, Dwayne Johnson, and a hot Gal Gadot

That's all I got  :(

LennG

Just finished watching The Beatles-Get Back..

As I said in my other piece on it, it is 7 1/2 hours and would have been much better had it been narrowed down to about 4 hours.

So, especially in the final episode, it does pick up a whole lot. Billy Preston joins the Fab Four as they needed a keyboard player and though I never really saw him in action, he always has a smile on his face, no matter what.

It is really hard to describe all that was leading up to this concert. AT first, it was a live concert with 14 new songs, then it went to a smaller live concert, to finally someone suggested why not on the roof. This wasn't a great idea for most of the Beatles, but they went with it. So much of this, I never knew. I always thought they wanted to cut a new album and thought doing it on a rooftop would be pretty cool. That is about as far from the truth as one can get. They basically hated the idea--it was very cold, the roof wasn't as firm as they would have liked it and they only had about 6 songs to do.
I won't give away anything, but it was hilarious as two
Bobbies try to undo this entire concert because some people actually complained to the police about it.

Anyway, as I said previously if you are or were a fan of the Beatles, this is must-see TV. Overall I liked it, if not just to see how Yoko Ono is nothing more than a shadow to John Lennon. Whatever he does, or where ever he is, she is right there next to him, doing basically nothing.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Len, if you watched closely there's a couple quick shots in the background of a black-haired young man wearing an orange shirt and black tie. A young Alan Parsons, at the time 18 or 19 years old, was working at Abbey Road Studios as a tape operator. He not only worked on The Beatles' Abbey Road and Let it Be albums, but also went on to be the Engineer on two McCartney solo albums, Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Al Stewart's Year of the Cat, and many others. He also had a little band called The Alan Parsons Project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_NNCNDYEpU

Jolly Blue Giant

I watched "Moon Knight" last night - released yesterday on Disney. Kinda creepy - not sure I like it. It's a series and only the first episode has been released. Perhaps it kicks in once the main character is better defined. Right now he just seems really confused and things don't make a lot of sense. Maybe to other people they do, but not me. I will continue to watch it as new episodes come out. There was a lot of hype over this show in the last month.

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 31, 2022, 11:37:40 AM
I watched "Moon Knight" last night - released yesterday on Disney. Kinda creepy - not sure I like it. It's a series and only the first episode has been released. Perhaps it kicks in once the main character is better defined. Right now he just seems really confused and things don't make a lot of sense. Maybe to other people they do, but not me. I will continue to watch it as new episodes come out. There was a lot of hype over this show in the last month.

Funny, but since I really started getting into series, I can't watch one episode a week anymore. Even shows that I like that are on once a week, I DVR them and watch when I get maybe 4 shows so I can really get into a series and see if I really want to continue. If I watch a series that drops once a week and it doesn't pique my interest right away, I may watch some other episodes, but eventually, I'll quit.
I am doing that with TWD right now and I also watch Survivor which I have about 4 episodes in so I might start to watch it.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on March 31, 2022, 01:19:25 PM
Funny, but since I really started getting into series, I can't watch one episode a week anymore. Even shows that I like that are on once a week, I DVR them and watch when I get maybe 4 shows so I can really get into a series and see if I really want to continue. If I watch a series that drops once a week and it doesn't pique my interest right away, I may watch some other episodes, but eventually, I'll quit.
I am doing that with TWD right now and I also watch Survivor which I have about 4 episodes in so I might start to watch it.

I'm the same way. I want to binge a series if I'm going to watch it. The exception was "Only Murders in the Building" that I got hooked on with the first episode. After that, I anxiously waited each week for the next episode. Now that season 1 is done and season 2 will be dropped in June, I'm really hoping they drop the entire season 2 instead of the 1 episode a week deal. Even if they did though, I'd still probably do the same thing I did in season 1  ~X(

LennG

PBS just finished a short series by Ken Burns on Benjamin Franklin. It was 4 hours over 2 days and we finished it last night. I am a sucker for Historical shows, especially by Burns and about the Revolutionary War period, so this was right up my alley.

Overall, i found it OK but a bit dry if anyone gets my drift. Usually, Burn's specials are just that special and I said to my wife as we were watching, that this was sort of boring in several parts. In fact, I dozed off a couple of times and had to rewind to watch it again.

I guess I thought I knew all there was to know about Franklin, but in reality, I didn't know very much at all.

I did learn a good deal about him and was very surprised about his private or family life.

If this is your thing, give it a watch, the man is facinating.

Charlie Weiss

gregf

Hey Lenn, have you tried the series Poldark?   The movie is aweful, but there is a 2 season series that is excellent. Follows a British soldier after the revolution War going home finding his family fortune in ruins.  He rebuilds and eventually  marries his serving wench he brings in to the upper society. The time piece, copper mine work, ocean shots, love triangle, protagonist antagonist plot are all outstanding. 

LennG

Quote from: gregf on April 07, 2022, 10:49:49 PM
Hey Lenn, have you tried the series Poldark?   The movie is aweful, but there is a 2 season series that is excellent. Follows a British soldier after the revolution War going home finding his family fortune in ruins.  He rebuilds and eventually  marries his serving wench he brings in to the upper society. The time piece, copper mine work, ocean shots, love triangle, protagonist antagonist plot are all outstanding. 

Greg

We HAVE watched Poldark when the pandemic really first got started. But, if memory holds I think there were 5 seasons of it. It was originally a PBS series.

We watched it all the way thru and my wife really loved it, myself, let's say I enjoyed it. I never saw some much bad luck befall one person as Poldark, no matter how hard he tried, but again, we did enjoy it.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I was thumbing thru my channel list this past weekend and saw a title that sort of sounded titillating, 'The Secrets of Playboy' on A / E

https://people.com/crime/hugh-hefner-alleged-rape-audrey-huskey-secrets-of-playboy/

WOW a series about Playboy, that should be interesting. I sort of got started, in the middle of this 12 part series, but was able to DVR the episodes I missed and now I am just about finished. It is so far from what I thought this would be about, but on watching, I really got hooked.

You might say I am from the Playboy generation, from the 70's to the '90's they were the 'it' thing. Everyone wanted to be Hugh Hefner and live his lifestyle. After watching this series, you will certainly come away with an entirely different view of him and his 'empire'. Just so many girls who have come out and told stories of rape, cultism and so much more. This may not be for everyone, but I am finding it fascinating. Don't look for Playboy centerfolds and nake orgies on the show. They are talked about, but it is more an easy R-rated series as this is still A/E and can only show so much.

Again, if you ever were a fan of Playboy, and Hefner in particular, this will be a very interesting series.

Charlie Weiss