News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you think about Christian Mahogany as a 3RD round pick?

Started by brownelvis54, April 12, 2024, 09:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

A guard is a huge need for the Giants IMO. Round one, get a WR1, round 2 get the best player available, round 3 get a guard? What do you think about Christian Mahogany? He played both RG and LG, but seemed to have better stats at RG.

Christian Mahogany from Paramus Catholic High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Mahogany opted to join Boston College.

In 2020 as a freshman Mahogany saw action in 10 games and played a total of 706 snaps for the Eagles. He allowed 8 QB hurries, 3 QB hits, and 3 sacks while playing at left guard.

As a sophomore in 2021 he played in 11 games and a total of 706 snaps. He conceded 4 QB hurries, 2 QB hits, and one sack while playing at right guard.

In 2023 after overcoming a torn ACL the year before Mahogany saw action in 12 games and totaled 862 snaps. He gave up 7 QB hurries, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing most of his snaps at right guard, as a result, he secured First-team All-ACC honors in 2023

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Christian-Mahogany-OL-BostonCollege

The KING is in the building

Jclayton92

We just signed multiple guards and have multiple development guards we already drafted, so why is this a huge need? If a guy drops maybe but we have more important needs.

GloryDays

Great looking prospect at Guard, but our need right now is a flex OT who can switch to OG if needed.
I would rather have the athletic and aggressive Roger Rosengarten.. Here is what DraftBuzz writes on him:

" His role and impact grew significantly over the next two years. In 2022, Rosengarten's sophomore year, he took a major step forward, starting in 12 games and logging 872 snaps at right tackle. Despite facing tough competition, he allowed 15 quarterback hurries and 2 hits but kept the sack column at zero. The following year, in 2023, he solidified his position by appearing in 13 games and playing 847 snaps, showing improvement in his pass protection with only 8 quarterback hurries and 2 hits allowed, maintaining a no-sack record for the second consecutive year."

Watch no 73, plays mostly as RT. Great feet for mirroring, anchoring and also quick and aggressive in run blocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpWynYuiB3U

londonblue

Given the FA investment on OL I am thinking day 3 for a developmental G or swing T as we need to let Neal, Ezeudu, McKethan battle it out to see if any of them turn it around to become part of the core. If either Haynes or Rosengarten slide to 107 then lovely but maybe a guy like McClintock is more realistic. As it stands CB, NCB, S and a pass-rush 3T all feel like better uses of day two picks this year to me.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jolly Blue Giant

I don't think the Giants will take an offensive lineman earlier than 5th or 6th rd...too many holes to fill, and as pointed out, we've already invested a lot in free agency to fill the guard holes with proven veterans

One of my favorite late round sleeper picks is Walter Rouse (OT Oklahoma 6'5½" / 322). He's an incredible guard (both pass protection, run block, and zone), but has played tackle most of his college career (4yrs Stanford, 1 yr Oklahoma). If we miss out on one of the top guards, he'd be a sneaky good late pick to play OG and would also fit the mold of a swing tackle. Sort of a young version of Justin Pugh (a little heavier and longer arms, but better guard than tackle). If he was listed as OG, he'd probably be looked at like Cooper Beebe..IMHO

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

I don't know but it would be cool to hear Bob Papa and Carl Banks saying, "Mahogany's laying some wood out there".
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 13, 2024, 09:42:40 AMI don't know but it would be cool to hear Bob Papa and Carl Banks saying, "Mahogany's laying some wood out there".
Sorry @squibber, beat ya to it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

I think the FA guard signings may not adequately fill 2 starting Guard positions.  I think we need to draft one.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on April 13, 2024, 09:57:06 AMI think the FA guard signings may not adequately fill 2 starting Guard positions.  I think we need to draft one.

Agreed.

While I would like to think we can wait until day three, I think the Giants do need to draft a guard. What guard on the roster right now does anyone feel comfortable about as a starter besides Runyan?

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 13, 2024, 10:45:56 AMAgreed.

While I would like to think we can wait until day three, I think the Giants do need to draft a guard. What guard on the roster right now does anyone feel comfortable about as a starter besides Runyan?

I feel pretty good about Jermaine Eluemunor on the other side. He has good size (6-4/330) and was one of Bricillo's star students of his style of OL coaching, in which Bricillo's team had the 9th fewest sacks in the NFL last year. I believe that Bricillo wanted Eluemunor and that's why Schoen signed him. A former wrestler, so he understands how to use opponents' moves and strength against themselves and knows how to work leverage. I guess time will tell

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 13, 2024, 10:57:14 AMI feel pretty good about Jermaine Eluemunor on the other side. He has good size (6-4/330) and was one of Bricillo's star students of his style of OL coaching, in which Bricillo's team had the 9th fewest sacks in the NFL last year. I believe that Bricillo wanted Eluemunor and that's why Schoen signed him. A former wrestler, so he understands how to use opponents' moves and strength against themselves and knows how to work leverage. I guess time will tell

I see him as our RT.  Neal is on his last legs.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on April 13, 2024, 11:03:52 AMI see him as our RT.  Neal is on his last legs.

I think that's a little premature. It will be interesting to see what Bricillo can do with a healthy Neal and a sidekick that helps him. At 6'4", Eluemunor (who can play tackle) is a little short, both in height and arm length, to be a great RT. Eluemunor is extremely strong (34 reps - 95 percentile), which is good for clearing paths for RB, but doesn't help with agility against extremely fast and tricky ERs

If Neal is a bust in the eyes of Schoen and Bricillo, I suspect Joe Alt to be our pick at 6 - hypothetically speaking. I think Neal has a little more rope left to prove himself though

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 13, 2024, 10:57:14 AMI feel pretty good about Jermaine Eluemunor on the other side. He has good size (6-4/330) and was one of Bricillo's star students of his style of OL coaching, in which Bricillo's team had the 9th fewest sacks in the NFL last year. I believe that Bricillo wanted Eluemunor and that's why Schoen signed him. A former wrestler, so he understands how to use opponents' moves and strength against themselves and knows how to work leverage. I guess time will tell

I like Elumenor fine, but we need him at RT. Neal is awful.

spiderblue43

Remember..Neal was "born to play tackle". But..he really was born to play twister..as ends spin him around like a top, bend him out of shape.

:doh:

Ed Vette

I had this conversation with Gordon from the BBWC yesterday. I think Neal goes to camp as the RT and it's his job to lose. If he doesn't show improvement, then I think Eluemunor or Phillips is the RT entering the season. I can see Phillips as the Swing Tackle. Regardless, this team needs to draft a Guard or a T/G.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin