News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: vette on May 01, 2011, 11:12:47 AM
Your all right he will get blown over like a stick in those stiff winds at Giant Stadium. Wasted pick, ripe for an "I told you so".

Hey wait just a second, I have a thought. Do you think it's possible that he might just be able to cover TE's from the Sam position? Maybe contribute to the putrid special teams everyone so loudly exposed last season while he learns the trade and puts on some muscle?  Nahhhh. What a stupid ignorant thought.

Getting a little exasperated? 

LOL

Relax, some guys can't be happy if they aren't being negative.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

londonblue

Of course ot is far too simplistic to try and extrapolate from the benchmark with Leodis McKelvin but I'd certainly settle for something similar to the impact he made in his rookie season on kick returns. However, the same comparison gives some reason for worry as McKelvin has had some injuries and become less effective on returns, although increased playing time at CB last year was probably a factor as well.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

londonblue

Quote from: troyfan on April 30, 2011, 08:14:41 PM
Problem is, if he contributes at all it will be on specials and 4.6 or whatever is only OK for that.

I think it can be too easy to be negative sometimes with a kid like this. He's raw so special teams is where he'll start but if you look at the film he is pretty good in coverage (athleticsm like his really helps there as well) and he has a great motor and willingness to hit. Given decent coaching and appropriate opportunities to develop he could shape up as a very good WLB two years out. At least he isn't a DE-LB tweener or four year mediocre big school starter which makes a refreshing change for us! My biggest fear is that I think our LB coaching is below average so he may not get what he needs to develop.

londonblue

I hope someone shows Osi and Prince this! (yes, as a Brit I know Osi was born on London, UK...but we all know how proud he is of his roots). I like to see defenders playing with a chip on their shoulder   8))

londonblue

I like Cofield a lot but if you made me pick between him and Keith Hamilton in his prime than I know who I'd choose  ;)

Having said that, it is a big stretch for a rookie and/or a second year guy with almost no rookie playing time to step in and improve a D if it loses an above average NFL performer like Cofield. Not impossible, but I'd judge not probable (unless the rookie is named Suh!).

todge

In the Sporting News - NFL Draft Preview edition - Russ Lande assigned the "best" label to Prince in the following categories:

Zone Coverage - Amukumara
vs. the Runn - Amukumara

I still think he fell in the Draft due to incredible reaching for the QB position.  Every player has "negatives" - there are no exceptions - so I don't buy the whole soft because he is Nigerian garbage.  He is labeled as the most physical CB in this Draft - so where is the legitimacy in that claim?

londonblue

That's why they play the game. Talk is cheap. All we can really want at this stage is to be able to see something in them that gives some cause for guarded optimism. The thing about Sash, and our other R6 picks, is they all seem to be high effort, committed and professional guys. Of course they all have either athletic or experience limitations but the odds are that one or more of them will find a way to really help the team. We don't have to buy into all the post draft waffle and hype to agree that we have to give all these guys a chance before either condemning or annointing them.

todge

In the Sporting News - Draft Preview Edition, Russ Lande assigned the "best" tag to Jernigan in "after the catch".  As to being small, DeSean Jackson is smaller than Jernigan and how is he making out?

todge

In the Sporting News - NFL Draft Preview edition, Russ Lande assigned the "best" category to Jones in two categories: (1) vs. the inside run, and (2) versatility.  So the Giants may try him at the Sam spot - barring any Free Agents signed.  It looks as iif his strengths are similiar to Goff - so I would suspect that if they slot Jones at MLB, whoever can cover the pass better will win the starting job.

Dumpster Dan

I said yesterday that I saw this kid play vs UCONN--I saw him run down and catch Jordan Todman--I know, I know Todman is no Heisman candidate but if you believe the numbers from the Combine--Todman ran a 4.4--so maybe we shouldn't always believe the numbers--maybe Williams is faster than 4.6 or Todman is not a 4.4 guy--but I know what I saw--but what impressed me the most about this kid was his relentless motor--He never quit on any play--he went full bore all the time and was all over the field--but more impressive is everything I have read about this kid --he is an exceptional character kind of guy

I am rooting for him

Fladan

londonblue

I can see the after the catch ranking. When you watch the tape he just makes people miss, even when he is stood still. I know some of the competition wasn't elite but the numbers he put up shows that he has talent. Can he be durable? He has been but the pros are bigger and tougher on average. If he can stay on the field he'll be fun to watch.

giantsguy

Quote from: vette on May 01, 2011, 11:12:47 AM
Your all right he will get blown over like a stick in those stiff winds at Giant Stadium. Wasted pick, ripe for an "I told you so".

Hey wait just a second, I have a thought. Do you think it's possible that he might just be able to cover TE's from the Sam position? Maybe contribute to the putrid special teams everyone so loudly exposed last season while he learns the trade and puts on some muscle?  Nahhhh. What a stupid ignorant thought.

Ed, you're right.  It seems the Giants are adding some speed and youth to their special teams.  The bonus for guys like this will be if they can add to the defensive packages in certain situations.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

giantsguy

Quote from: vette on May 01, 2011, 11:07:16 AM
The player had some ongoing injuries that kept him from getting on the field. Then Meggett's son got playing time shared. There were reasons his production went down. Go to Giants.com and under the player evaluations, the whole story is there. Coach Coughlin didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, so see it for yourself. It's there.

This kid is going to be a solid player for the giants.

I swear, some of you guys just are looking for an "I told you so" down the road.

Ok, I get the joke. The entire draft sucks and Reese all the way down to the Scouts on the road have no clue. Our season is shot because we don't have any good Linebackers and the O-line is in Depends Diapers. We should have taken Costanzo even though he was picked up before we could pick. Or, Ingram.

Ugh!

Ed, I am sensing you're getting frustrated, which of course is not easy to do around here.  :laugh:   It will all prove itself on the field, one way or another, in time.  The only thing I would add is, although I am very happy with the Price pick, Costanzo was picked by Indy at 22, we could have had him.  Although, as I said, I have no problem with Prince.  We needed a qualtiy CB.  But, isn't this fun?   LOL
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

todge

I don't know why you guys are down on this player.  He was a basketball player who only started playing football later on than most.  So there is plenty of opportunities to grow into the position.  As MG pointed out - former NFL Scout Russ Lande had him as solid 2nd Rounder and has "the ability to start at RT in his first season at the NFL level".

This is a 4th Round selection - so the value is certainly there.  Of course time will tell what we actually have, but regardless, this kid has the potential to be a very good player in this league.

todge

I think we have to keep in mind that this is a 6th Round Draft pick.  If he can upgrade STs and provide some LB depth, then what is there not to like?  As has been pointed out - the Special Teams were putrid last year.  All of the latter Round Draft picks can provide some help to that unit.  Now if we can find a coach!