News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime

todge, I think it's a bit of both...value was too good to pass on. & remember, although we may think our OL looked to be all beat-up & in disarray, as a unit they got they sure got the job done.

Brewer will set the bar in Camp & Pre. Then we go from there. Thinkin' he's more Project than player, but he may surprise. As far as Prince, don't be in such a hurry to throw TT on the scrape pile. TT played two seasons @ S before switchin' to CB @ USC for Pete Carroll. So if KP doesn't improve, TT may move over?

jerseyguy

Quote from: todge on May 06, 2011, 12:14:43 PM
Being that this was such an awful LB class - what kind of "top tier" LB did you have in mind in the 3rd Round?

To me anyway, it has become quite clear that the Giants don't draft positions - they draft the highest rated player on their Board.  So I didn't see any top-tier LBs on the Board at that selection.  I am curious who you wanted.
I didn't see any of what i would call a top tier LB in the 3rd round but there were some in the earlier rounds i would have liked with probably more potential but we went to Walmart again for another bargain so all i can do is wish for the best....

Chris

Uni made a great point in an earlier thread, we could have picked Jones in the 3rd round - where many experts thought he could go - and JR would have been lauded for drafting for a need position. We draft the same player in the 6th round - an outright steal, based on his 3rd round grade - and JR's a bum who's mortgaging the future of the position.

Quote from: todge on May 06, 2011, 12:14:43 PM
To me anyway, it has become quite clear that the Giants don't draft positions - they draft the highest rated player on their Board.   

Todge, I think you're on the money here. I think most of us think when our pick is coming up - and I am not excluding myself here - "we need a LB, who are the best LB prospects still available?" JR and crew certainly do not think that way. They think, "our pick is next, who is the best player on our board that is still available?" Thank God for that.

Gmo11

Well I have to believe Jones lasted to the 6th inning for a reason.  It wasn't as if teams forgot of his existence is it?  Even the Giants passed on him in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I think that 3rd round grade on him was probably not accurate. But yes, if the Giants had picked a LB in the 3rd round that didn't play safety or DE in college then yes I think most people around here would have been more excited about the pick than using it on a 6th rounder.

Chris

After the fact, it's easy to question the projected slot of a prospect, Gmo. The fact still remains, Jones could have been picked 1-3 rounds earlier than he was and, based on the reports leading up to the draft, no one would have blinked an eye. If we picked a two-time unanimous All American and three time All Big Ten LB who was a tackling machine in college in Round 3, there would be people here turning cartwheels.

A lot of people are raving about the Saints' draft because they got two players projected in the Top 20 towards the end of the round. I guess those players aren't as good as we thought?

Gmo11

It depends on who you talk to of course but it seems like Mark Ingram went right where he was supposed to go.  Late 1st round.  The Early run on QBs screwed up the 1st round quite a bit.  It also led to the Prince falling to the Giants in my opinion.  But that's far different than talking about a 6th round pick.  I don't doubt that many pundits had Jones ranked as high as a 3rd round pick.  I also don't doubt that NO NFL team agreed.  Otherwise he'd have been picked there.  So I just think we need to temper expectations for this kid. 

The Giants have drafted late round LBs before.  Practically every year.  And every year they seem to disappoint in one way or another.  The only late round LB pick to show any promise was Adrian Tracy and he was finished in Preseason.  Who knows what he comes back as.  Like many fans I was holding out hope that the Giants would use an early pick on a guy that could step in from day 1 and start.  The competition isn't exactly stiff at that position.  As it stands I'd just hope that Jones can be a stellar participante on ST and that the Giants throw some money at a Free Agent LB, preferably not one who's 35 years old and coming off a blown out knee.

vette5573

Three corners and three safeties get most of the playing time in the back seven.

Chris

GMO, I agree there's no way to know what we're going to get from Jones. We certainly can't count on him elevating the LB corps singlehandedly.

Is there a FA LB you have your eye on?

Jaime

I hope JR & Co. sign the best LB FA who'll be a playmaker @ the WIL for us. Pickin's r a bit slim, but gotta believe there's a fit out there for us somewhere.
Names?

I'm a big fan of Tracy. Thinkin' he got jobbed a bit (so did he) by bein' IR'd so early last season. Elbow required surgery, but bein' so early, thought he had enough time to rehab it & return. I'm truly hopin' he can build on last season's flash & return where left off by claimin' the SAM as his own.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jaime on May 07, 2011, 03:24:52 PM
I hope JR & Co. sign the best LB FA who'll be a playmaker @ the WIL for us. Pickin's r a bit slim, but gotta believe there's a fit out there for us somewhere.
Names?

I'm a big fan of Tracy. Thinkin' he got jobbed a bit (so did he) by bein' IR'd so early last season. Elbow required surgery, but bein' so early, thought he had enough time to rehab it & return. I'm truly hopin' he can build on last season's flash & return where left off by claimin' the SAM as his own.

Here are some OLB free agents.  Anyone know much about Manny Lawson?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011OLB.php

Here are some C free agents.  Anyone know much about Lyle Sendlein?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2011C.php

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

NYSPORTS

Fun video including his combine performance.

Staring at 2:00 his combine workout

Marvin Austin - "Hard Work"

Jaime

MP21, thanks for the skinny.
I've heard plenty re; Austin since we selected him. Really only care what he does goin' forward. Sure looks like he has the makings of a terror @ DT.
Coach him up & let him have @ it!

vette5573

An incredible athlete for his size. I say give him the ball and make him a short yardage back. We'll call him the Freezer.

Jaime

CA, thanks. Manny Lawson is a total freak. 6' - 5" 240 lbs. Combine #'s 4.43
23 Reps  39" Vert. Touted as a DE prospect out of N.C. State. Lawson hasn't put up much in the way of sacks in the Niners 3 - 4. Last three seasons he played all 16 games, av. 60 tackles & 3.5 sacks. Did have 5.5 sacks last year.

Great closin' speed as u would think. Does make plays, but is limited in 3 - 4. Reports indicate a better fit in our 4 - 3. Looks to be durable. Highest rated (four out of five stars) non-franchised FA OLB by Walter Football.

todge

This is good stuff guys ..

I believe that Jones dropped in the Draft because he is a MLB with a WLB body.  He had a difficult time shedding blocks and was often easily washed out of plays.  So even though he was productive in college, that type of production may not translate into success at the NFL level because he is reputedly not strong at the point-of-attack. We will see ...

As to Jernigan - going to Troy certainly didn't stop Osi or DeMarcus Ware (as was stated earlier) and just because Moss was small and unsuccessful doesn't mean Jernigan is going to be unsuccessful (as was also stated earlier).  How did being small affect DeSean Jackson?