News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 31, 2020, 12:12:21 PM
Rich: It's a good explanation.

Would have been an excellent explanation without the use of the word propaganda. 

The point is.... be careful with dirty masks, no matter what they're made of.

Bob

Bob,

I wish you could see what I see.   I see things through a lens.   A lens that spent a lifetime being mindful of what I tell people could literally kill them if I provide faulty guidance.   As an EMT, people in a medical crisis or with serious problems would ask me what they should do.   In hospital facilities, workers would ask me questions or seek guidance on problems if handled incorrectly could kill or harm many patients.   In public health, people ask guidance about diseases and public health problems.   With my science background, it wasn't hard for me to drill into myself careful self-discipline to make sure I say things that are correct (to the best of my abilities) and that I clearly state the limits of my knowledge.   After 35 years, it's become second nature to me.

When you present someone who makes a statement as glaringly wrong and dangerous as the one you shared, it makes me angry.  I think about the Herman Caines of the world, and I remember how people like that author or commentator share potential blame in his death.    It's the antithesis of my very professional being.    Whoever made that statement was either unqualified to make it or deliberately deceived.   Either option angers me.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I think this whole mask thing is silly. EVERYONE says it is 100X better to be wearing a mask than not. But, on NO scientific basis other than Trump speak, people question the value of it.

I have ALWAYS had the philosophy that it is better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it. If wearing a mask ony helped 50% of the time, and it has been proved that it helps more than that, then why not just wear the darn thing? REALLY. What harm is it doing by wearing a mask?

And we can see from poor Herman Cain, that money won't help you not dying from this virus, but a mask might.

How many more must, and will die, because of this silly foolishness.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Just a couple of headlines I saw this AM.

For all those that think children are safe

Report: Coronavirus infected scores of children and staff at Georgia sleep-away camp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/report-coronavirus-infected-scores-of-children-and-staff-at-georgia-sleep-away-camp/ar-BB17qjZU?ocid=msedgntp

A new report suggests that children of all ages are susceptible to coronavirus infection and may also spread it to others
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on August 01, 2020, 11:21:49 AM
Just a couple of headlines I saw this AM.

For all those that think children are safe

Report: Coronavirus infected scores of children and staff at Georgia sleep-away camp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/report-coronavirus-infected-scores-of-children-and-staff-at-georgia-sleep-away-camp/ar-BB17qjZU?ocid=msedgntp

A new report suggests that children of all ages are susceptible to coronavirus infection and may also spread it to others
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

As I was doing my Saturday walk, I thought a bit about the whole, "masks are not settled science" claims.   As I thought, I realized just how far afield from the truth those claims truly are.

Fact-  The virus particles are carried in water droplets of various sizes

Fact-  Mask materials of all types (with the exception of a few wide weave fabrics) will filter out water droplets with varying degrees of efficiency

Fact-  The fewer particles one inhales the better

Fact-  Masks are an effective means of reducing exposure to Corona virus
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 01, 2020, 01:01:23 PM
As I was doing my Saturday walk, I thought a bit about the whole, "masks are not settled science" claims.   As I thought, I realized just how far afield from the truth those claims truly are.

Fact-  The virus particles are carried in water droplets of various sizes

Fact-  Mask materials of all types (with the exception of a few wide weave fabrics) will filter out water droplets with varying degrees of efficiency

Fact-  The fewer particles one inhales the better

Fact-  Masks are an effective means of reducing exposure to Corona virus

Rich: If you don't mind, I'm changing the subject, for the moment, to the flu. 

Do you happen to know if the data shows that the various influenza viruses spread more by droplets than by touching surfaces? 

I ask because both my wife and I got BOTH of the types of flu not covered by the flu shot this past winter.  ~X( 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 01, 2020, 01:15:29 PM
Rich: If you don't mind, I'm changing the subject, for the moment, to the flu. 

Do you happen to know if the data shows that the various influenza viruses spread more by droplets than by touching surfaces? 

I ask because both my wife and I got BOTH of the types of flu not covered by the flu shot this past winter.  ~X( 

Bob

The experts believe that the primary spread is via droplets while the secondary spread is surface (fomite) transmission (tocughing contaminated surfaces and then touching eyes, mouth, or nose)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I could fill a book with stories like these

Tennessee pastor tested positive for COVID-19 one week after meeting with Trump and administration officials at the White House

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-tennessee-pastor-tested-positive-for-covid-19-one-week-after-meeting-with-trump-and-administration-officials-at-the-white-house/ar-BB17svBd?ocid=msedgdhp

ev. Cleek also said he was never "close" to President Trump while attending the event. A video of the event broadcast on C-SPAN shows he was sitting next to A.G. Barr. Nobody seated at the table

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I guess

Monkey saym, monkey do, only if it doesn't apply to him.

so what does this mean? Trump has blasted schools for not opening this Fall, threatening to withhold money from them if they don't open. But what about his son barron. Well, it seems his school isn't part of Daddy's deal as it won't be opening, as of now, until october.

Trump

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 01, 2020, 05:08:19 PM
The experts believe that the primary spread is via droplets while the secondary spread is surface (fomite) transmission (tocughing contaminated surfaces and then touching eyes, mouth, or nose)

Rich: Many thanks.  Bob

Bob In PA

Notice to all members:

Unless there are serious objections, from now on, posts under this thread should be limited to "pure" health-related issues.   

Politically-tinged posts about covid should be made in the thread entitled.... SENSITIVE TOPICS - Readers Beware!

If you put one here by mistake or before seeing this post, no problem.  I'll move it, hopefully without making a mess.  Thank you all for cooperating.

Bob

PS. It's ok with me (although I don't speak for the other moderators) if you put something borderline here ALONG WITH your reasoning why it belongs here rather than under the other topic.

philo43

From Johns Hopkins updated at 3 am today

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

"The U.S. has conducted more COVID-19 tests than any other country. However, there is no expert consensus on a recommended target for the raw number of tests or even the rate of tests per capita

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 02, 2020, 11:01:18 AM
From Johns Hopkins updated at 3 am today

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

"The U.S. has conducted more COVID-19 tests than any other country. However, there is no expert consensus on a recommended target for the raw number of tests or even the rate of tests per capita
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

philo43

Johns Hopkins University (one of the leading universities in science and medicine) is spreading disinformation? Did they become political? They are who CNN, many of the major news media, Government agencies and state Health Departments go to for information.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/health/johns-hopkins-covid-19-map-team-wellness-trnd/index.html

"(CNN)If the year 2020 is good for anything, it's the lesson that during a crisis, anyone who builds a better mousetrap will find the world beating a path to his door.

A humble team at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland reminded the world of late poet Ralph Waldo Emerson's phrase when they created a real time tracking map of coronavirus cases and deaths.
And the world came to their door. They report that the site, plus downloads of its data, hosts three to five billion interactions daily. By their measurement, interactions include uses of the public dashboard and requests from a separate website for the underlying data used by news outlets and others who design their own maps and graphics.
Government agencies, public health departments, the public and news outlets, including CNN, regularly rely on it for the latest updates on the confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries connected to this harrowing disease.
"

Sorry, I believe Johns Hopkins (no political agenda that I can see) - if you don't ok.

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on August 02, 2020, 04:03:05 PM
Johns Hopkins University (one of the leading universities in science and medicine) is spreading disinformation? Did they become political? They are who CNN, many of the major news media, Government agencies and state Health Departments go to for information.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/11/health/johns-hopkins-covid-19-map-team-wellness-trnd/index.html

"(CNN)If the year 2020 is good for anything, it's the lesson that during a crisis, anyone who builds a better mousetrap will find the world beating a path to his door.

A humble team at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland reminded the world of late poet Ralph Waldo Emerson's phrase when they created a real time tracking map of coronavirus cases and deaths.
And the world came to their door. They report that the site, plus downloads of its data, hosts three to five billion interactions daily. By their measurement, interactions include uses of the public dashboard and requests from a separate website for the underlying data used by news outlets and others who design their own maps and graphics.
Government agencies, public health departments, the public and news outlets, including CNN, regularly rely on it for the latest updates on the confirmed cases, deaths and recoveries connected to this harrowing disease.
"

Sorry, I believe Johns Hopkins (no political agenda that I can see) - if you don't ok.

Your source didn't provide numbers or a table.  It did fit your agenda and in the end that is all that matters.   You even ignored the main points of your own link because it didn't fit your agenda.    I could have provided more than busy two tables that showed you were wrong, but I doubt it would matter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE