News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Free Will Exist?

Started by squibber, January 13, 2021, 09:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibber

Author Sam Harris believes in limited free will. He said

Bob In PA

I think the truth for almost all issues of this sort lies somewhere between the two extremes that the human mind is able to imagine.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

I struggle all the time.

My darling wife makes, what I consider, the best cheesecake EVER. Better than Juniors. She used to make this all the time, but now I only get one on my birthday. I am not severely overweight, but I am also not in the 'eat whatever you want' department. So she makes me this cheesecake, and my urges and desires, that I have no control over, make me want to eat it all and NOT share it with anyone.
Is this wrong, am I a creature of some law of the fittest or whatever. I always succumb to my desires and simply cannot resist.

How does that fit into your equation???   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She is now into making home made breads and those wonderful smell filters thru every part of the house. I simply cannot control all these desires to eat, eat, and eat. I need help.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

I easily get lost in philosophical questions like this because I am open to entertain different options and viewpoints. I find it hard to disagree with legitimate points of view.

In regards to free will, I am torn between logic and religion and it's just a crazy convoluted rabbit hole in my head and I struggle to clearly convey the maze of thoughts in my head. Suffice it to say, yes, I believe we all have free will, all the while accepting that our lives are preordained.

@Len: I believe you CAN control your desires to eat. It comes down to the right incentive/motivator and/or priority. For example, if I said I'd give you $100K to share half of that cheesecake, you probably would. Likewise, if I offered you the same $100K and said DON'T eat any of it, I'm sure you would take the money.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

Quote from: T200 on January 13, 2021, 11:51:13 AM
I easily get lost in philosophical questions like this because I am open to entertain different options and viewpoints. I find it hard to disagree with legitimate points of view.

In regards to free will, I am torn between logic and religion and it's just a crazy convoluted rabbit hole in my head and I struggle to clearly convey the maze of thoughts in my head. Suffice it to say, yes, I believe we all have free will, all the while accepting that our lives are preordained.

@Len: I believe you CAN control your desires to eat. It comes down to the right incentive/motivator and/or priority. For example, if I said I'd give you $100K to share half of that cheesecake, you probably would. Likewise, if I offered you the same $100K and said DON'T eat any of it, I'm sure you would take the money.

When you put it like that. probably, but all things being equal, even though I know it is wrong for me, at that time, my will to resist it can't compare with my will to have some.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2021, 11:08:08 AM
I struggle all the time.

My darling wife makes, what I consider, the best cheesecake EVER. Better than Juniors. She used to make this all the time, but now I only get one on my birthday. I am not severely overweight, but I am also not in the 'eat whatever you want' department. So she makes me this cheesecake, and my urges and desires, that I have no control over, make me want to eat it all and NOT share it with anyone.
Is this wrong, am I a creature of some law of the fittest or whatever. I always succumb to my desires and simply cannot resist.

How does that fit into your equation???   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

She is now into making home made breads and those wonderful smell filters thru every part of the house. I simply cannot control all these desires to eat, eat, and eat. I need help.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Story of my life Lenny, story of my life...  =))

jimv

Lenny, I think your desire to eat is probably mostly because of being cooped up in the house because of this damn pandemic.  You've just got nothing else to do than eat.'

As far as Free Will goes, yes we have it.  But we also have a conscience that controls the actions of our free will.  And, I believe our lives are not preordained.  The outcome of our lives is determined by how we live our lives.  And that goes back to our free will combined `with our conscience.

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2021, 11:08:08 AM
She is now into making home made breads and those wonderful smell filters thru every part of the house. I simply cannot control all these desires to eat, eat, and eat. I need help.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lenn: Take up knitting.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 13, 2021, 02:44:34 PM
Lenn: Take up knitting.  Bob

Last time I did that we had our third child. No thanks  =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Charlie Weiss

jimmyz

"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."