News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Database of "Canceled" People

Started by Bob In PA, April 23, 2021, 11:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 25, 2021, 08:21:57 AM
As for Doctor Seuss I don't understand your point as I agree that there was no outcry for their removal, yet a few elites decide this is racist.

I can tell when someone has consumed too much hate-inducing propaganda (and this is true for both the right and the left) they use the term "elites".   No terms bothers all my values more than the use of the term "elites" as a pejorative.  It runs contrary to my values of expertise, valuing intelligence, education, and achievement, of not putting hate-filled labels on fellow Americans, of intellectual rigor (over laziness) more than when people use the term "elites".    This is just more proof of the destruction I am seeing of America and our values.  This is why our nation is in a decline and is no longer leading.   When our nation was showing greatness (and even then there were plenty of warts) we treated men like Albert Einstien as a rock star.   Today he would be dismissed as just another elite

As for your comments about what is not racist, I am not sure these racist stereotypes are good for a child's development

NOTE- in earlier editions the Asian man was yellow

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 25, 2021, 08:21:57 AM
The author of the story was Leah Barkoukis, the story has audio files in it that confirm the quotes in the story. The Teacher is Paul Rossi and the head of the school is George Davidson. As for Doctor Seuss I don't understand your point as I agree that there was no outcry for their removal, yet a few elites decide this is racist. I don't find Doctor Seuss racist at all and I have read many to my grandkids. Your dislike of anything you disagree with makes you angry and you always seem to say the other side is worse. I think Bob said it right bad things happen all around and to say it is just one side is naive at best.

I found the video and I think that anyone that has not been negatively impacted by right-wing propaganda would immediately take note that it's Paul Rossi with all the hate speech and the principal is being prodded by Paul Rossi to agree with his exaggerated views (plus why isn't the entire video being played).  It's also clear that Paul Rossi is a snake who secretly recorded the conversation and how he is speaking makes it's clear he is playing that secret to push his anti-equality agenda.   

Frankly, it was good that Paul Rossi was fired.  We should have men like him who are fundamentally opposed to equality and fairness teaching our youth (plus we teachers should be of higher character).  Not that anyone infected by the right-wing propaganda machine will see it that way.  They will see the carefully selected audio CLIPS as proof that their false beliefs created by the right-wing propaganda machine are correct

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/04/24/what-school-principal-admits-theyre-doing-to-white-people-n2588376

Oh and "Townhall.com" is perhaps one of the worst in terms of pushing right-wing propaganda and hate.   They pushed so many lies and encouraged the attacks of January 6th.   Townhall.com is not contained by fact or reason or conscience in the pursuit of their far far right agenda.   They push hate, fear, and anger like few sites on the web

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 08:38:12 AM
I can tell when someone has consumed too much hate-inducing propaganda (and this is true for both the right and the left) they use the term "elites".   No terms bothers all my values more than the use of the term "elites" as a pejorative.  It runs contrary to my values of expertise, valuing intelligence and achievement, of not putting hate-filled labels on fellow Americans, of intellectual rigor (over laziness) more than when people use the term "elites".
Rich: I agree.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 08:38:12 AM

As for your comments about what is not racist, I am not sure these racist stereotypes are good for a child's development

NOTE- in earlier editions the Asian man was yellow

You can take one of two basic views on this broad topic. One stance would be that it is in society's best interest to white-wash history and cancel as many objectionable books, images, statues, and even human beings as possible so that people see the remnants of past racism and inequality as little as possible and live in a sort of blissful ignorance about the past. That is certainly one approach, and it seems to be the approach that many in modern society currently subscribe to.

Another approach would be to use an honest discussion and representation of the past as a way of educating about the way things used to be and the progress that has been made since. And then tie that into the present-day and talk about how hopefully 50-100 years from now there will be much more progress and things will be far better than they are now.

I prefer the latter approach myself. I think denying history is (1) close to impossible as you can't possibly cancel everything you don't like, and (2) simply not the best way to educate people. I have always believed in understanding the past and studying past wrongs, so that we don't repeat them. Living in denial of the past and trying to forget everything is not in the best interest of present or future societies. So if a kid sees an image from an old book that is objectionable from a 2021 perspective but perhaps less so in 1937, depending on the age of the kid, I see this more as an opportunity for education than something to panic about and just white-wash. Historical context matters.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2021, 09:02:47 AM

You can take one of two basic views on this broad topic. One stance would be that it is in society's best interest to white-wash history and cancel as many objectionable books, images, statues, and even human beings as possible so that people see the remnants of past racism and inequality as little as possible and live in a sort of blissful ignorance about the past. That is certainly one approach, and it seems to be the approach that many in modern society currently subscribe to.

Another approach would be to use an honest discussion and representation of the past as a way of educating about the way things used to be and the progress that has been made since. And then tie that into the present-day and talk about how hopefully 50-100 years from now there will be much more progress and things will be far better than they are now.

I prefer the latter approach myself. I think denying history is (1) close to impossible as you can't possibly cancel everything you don't like, and (2) simply not the best way to educate people. I have always believed in understanding the past and studying past wrongs, so that we don't repeat them. Living in denial of the past and trying to forget everything is not in the best interest of present or future societies. So if a kid sees an image from an old book that is objectionable from a 2021 perspective but perhaps less so in 1937, depending on the age of the kid, I see this more as an opportunity for education than something to panic about and just white-wash. Historical context matters.

We don't teach kids in kindergarten about sexual intercourse because their young minds are not yet ready to comprehend and understand what you are trying to teach. Yet you are advocating ingrain racial stereotypes into young minds with the use of otherwise nice children's books.  What exactly is the benefit???????    It would be different to have this discussion with HS students where you should pictures like that to them while discussing the evolution of race relations and racism.  HS students (or better yet college) would be better able to understand and appreciate the lessons and the messages.   

I am truly baffled at your assertion that 3rd graders should be given these images (they could get these books in their school libraries) with no guidance or explanation.   We have some serious race issues in our nation.  You seem to be insistent that we shouldn't change a thing.  So how do we improve the problems of racism?     Seems to me we need to change something if we want things to get better.   

I see the whole "it's part of history" claim the right's repackaged for better appeal  of the classic "we always did it that way" argument
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

FL GMAN

Rich the man was a math teacher at the school for 20 years with no issues. They make teachers sign pledges to agree with their vision. The reason he asked him repeatedly was obvious, the principle didn't want to admit it and tried to dance around the question until forced to admit it. As for the site I didn't ask you to believe the story only to listen to the tape. If you can't admit the tape proves the principle agreed with him it's because you don't want to. You say he should be fired, why, because he disagrees. As a parent at another elite school facing the same issue stated," I want teachers to teach my child how to think not what to think". This isn't China we are allowed to disagree.

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 25, 2021, 09:22:52 AM
Rich the man was a math teacher at the school for 20 years with no issues. They make teachers sign pledges to agree with their vision. The reason he asked him repeatedly was obvious, the principle didn't want to admit it and tried to dance around the question until forced to admit it. As for the site I didn't ask you to believe the story only to listen to the tape. If you can't admit the tape proves the principle agreed with him it's because you don't want to. You say he should be fired, why, because he disagrees. As a parent at another elite school facing the same issue stated," I want teachers to teach my child how to think not what to think". This isn't China we are allowed to disagree.

Since he was a math teacher, how exactly did he learn (in detail) what was being taught in other classes??????   Look, don't surrender your critical thinking skills and what should be natural cynicism (this teacher of young minds called teaching that everyone is equal "demonizing kids for being born white").    He heard second hand that they were teaching racial equality and Paul was so consumed by right-wing hatred and propaganda, he flew off the handle and tried to destroy the school he works for.

Just really really think about this.  As a math teacher he had no more access to what was being taught in this other department than you or I would
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

FL GMAN

Rich, you are getting off track. The principle agreed with him, period. Your question of how would he know is absurd, teachers talk and being asked to sign a ledge of loyalty to this doctrine is proof. If you view everything though a lens of racism that's all you'll see. I repeat I would not want my kids to be taught that they are bad for something they weren't involved in. We need to look forward not backward. BTW look at Virginia's change to the math curriculum and you will see how this doctrine permeates everything.

MightyGiants

Quote from: FL GMAN on April 25, 2021, 09:44:38 AM
Rich, you are getting off track. The principle agreed with him, period. Your question of how would he know is absurd, teachers talk and being asked to sign a ledge of loyalty to this doctrine is proof. If you view everything though a lens of racism that's all you'll see. I repeat I would not want my kids to be taught that they are bad for something they weren't involved in. We need to look forward not backward. BTW look at Virginia's change to the math curriculum and you will see how this doctrine permeates everything.

No, the principal didn't "agree" he was badgered by someone with extremist views and opted not to argue with the person (if I was the principal I would have taken the same approach including firing the guy).  As principal you don't want to get into arguments with staff, especially radicals over sensitive topics like racial equality)  I don't see how anyone can a reasonable person can listen to those clips and come away thinking the principal actually agreed, unless they WANTED to believe because of prior conditioning by listening to way too much right-wing propaganda
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 25, 2021, 09:10:18 AM

We don't teach kids in kindergarten about sexual intercourse because their young minds are not yet ready to comprehend and understand what you are trying to teach. Yet you are advocating ingrain racial stereotypes into young minds with the use of otherwise nice children's books.  What exactly is the benefit???????    It would be different to have this discussion with HS students where you should pictures like that to them while discussing the evolution of race relations and racism.  HS students (or better yet college) would be better able to understand and appreciate the lessons and the messages.   

I am truly baffled at your assertion that 3rd graders should be given these images (they could get these books in their school libraries) with no guidance or explanation.   We have some serious race issues in our nation.  You seem to be insistent that we shouldn't change a thing.  So how do we improve the problems of racism?     Seems to me we need to change something if we want things to get better.   

I see the whole "it's part of history" claim the right's repackaged for better appeal  of the classic "we always did it that way" argument

Nowhere did I suggest that we "not change a thing." Not sure where you got that idea. Maybe you think that because I am less desperately obsessed with trying to rewrite the past than I am to want to change the present and future.

My point is that the general practice of white-washing or cancelling things from the past, just because they don't suit today's values, is not an effective form of education or means to affect real change. Should we pretend Thomas Jefferson did not own hundreds of slaves? Should we leave that part out in history books, or should we actually start teaching American kids that Thomas Jefferson was a terrible human being? Why is his face even on our currency, if we are going to start equating modern values to past ones? As you can see, this obsession with re-writing or cancelling the past can become an endless and ultimately fruitless pusuit.

I think the past should be an open book. The only way societies progress is by understanding the past, coming to grips with it, and not being doomed to repeat the failures of it. If you want to make certain books only allowed to be read by certain age groups, that is one thing, but just throwing anything and everything into the book burning bonfire that isn't precisely aligned with today's current values is a big mistake. Over the course of history, the book burning crowd has not been the one that has aged well.

philo43

This topic is very close to home for me.

My wife is the secretary for Athletic Director for the Binghamton City School District and as such has to attend and "control" many of the larger athletic events - Football, Basketball etc.  She gets an extra $45 for spending 3 - 4 hours at each event.  She also has to schedule the workers for the events to include security - off duty police in uniform (with the blessing of the BPD) who get $120 per event.

Within the last 10 days one local elementary school made a book named the "book of the month" titled, "Something Happened in Our Town" in an attempt to talk about social justice.

It is a blatant anti police book, so much so the school district had to issue an apology (link below).  As a result of this action - no police officer will work a single event at this school district.  For the last 3 years these officers have protected my wife from the "trash" that has showed up at the events.

Since this has happened - I have gone to both the football games she has worked, and had to take my 12 year old granddaughter, whom we just got custody of, in order to ensure her (wife's) safety.  There have been a couple of instances at both games where I am so glad I was there. 2 middle aged woman would not have been able to handle. I am not a tough guy, but I will protect those I love.  The  worst part is that my very fragile (emotionally) granddaughter had to see this - she is in our custody through a Juvenile Court in Texas with very strict conditions.

The pendulum swings both ways, if a 3rd grader can't be exposed to Dr Suess, why should they be expected to be able to understand the social justice principle.

https://wnbf.com/binghamton-school-book-controversy-receives-national-attention/

The schools apology:

"The Binghamton City School District released a statement apologizing for "the negative light this has shined" on the law enforcement profession."

Bob In PA

The number of issues raised by the seemingly "simple" Dr. Seuss situation are mind-boggling!!!  I believe a doctoral thesis could be written about it.  And probably someone will.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 25, 2021, 09:50:51 AM
Nowhere did I suggest that we "not change a thing." Not sure where you got that idea.

I got that idea with your outrage over an independent company deciding it wanted to remove children's books with offensive racial stereotypes in them.   Since you attacked the publishers over the removal, I think it's reasonable to assume you want to continue to expose young minds to such imagines.    I applaud the publishers for doing what was essentially a common-sense move to address changing times and norms.

If the right-wing propaganda machine existed in the 60s and the 70s no doubt there would have been right-wingers protesting in front of homes whose owners removed their black lawn jockeys from their homes.

Just as with the fake cancel culture outrage, the "whitewash history" outrage is equally grounded in hypocrisy.  I mean how many Americans were taught about or sees memorials dedicated to the Tulsa race massacre?  We are already seeing the right-wing propaganda machine whitewash over the events of January 6th 2021.      How hard has the right-wing propaganda machine worked to preserve the wrongs our nation has inflicted on the native American populations?   

It seems like the only times the right-wing propaganda machine cares about preserving history is if it honors racist who attacked and kills Americans to preserve slavery or it perpetuates racism and bigotry through stereotyping and the like

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: philo43 on April 25, 2021, 09:59:26 AM

It is a blatant anti police book,

Did you read the book or are you repeating (without critical review) the opinions of others and trying to pass that opinion off as fact?   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

FL GMAN

Rich I will stop because if you don't believe what you hear then what can I say. The idea that the guy that was fired was badgering the principle is laughable and if the situation was reversed you would be screaming for the principles head. On a side note I appreciate your football contributions to the site.