News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Another list--30 greatest actors of all time

Started by LennG, July 11, 2021, 06:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Boy is this one subjective, but overall, I think it pretty much hot s a triple at least. Sure w all have our favorites and if they aren't on there, the list sucks, but I really can't find too much fault with the top actors.

If I had to say one thing, I really don't see how Robin Williams makes a list like this. He was OK and even good in a few movies, but he IMVHO wasn't a great actor. I would also add Gary Cooper to this list and without going back I don't think I saw Henry Fonda on it. Again, IMVHO Fonda should be in the top 10.

https://newarena.com/entertainment/ranking-the-30-best-actors-of-all-time/?amxt=new_pag_dt_2021_inview&utm_campaign=tb_jc_dt_30actor&utm_source=tb_ae&&utm_term=msn-anaheim-us&utm_content=Ranked%3A+The+30+Greatest+Actors+of+All-Time&utm_medium=tbdt-new_pag_dt_2021_inview
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I couldn't get through the whole list because my computer kept shunting me to other place.  So, after Clark Gable, I saw nothing more.  The main trouble with the list for me is that I never even heard of several of the me. :greetings: :greetings: :greetings:

DaveBrown74

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it wouldn't let me get past the first page, which asks you to agree to some sort of cookie situation. So I actually couldn't see any content.

LennG

Sorry, it works for me.

I'll see if I can list them a bit later
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on July 12, 2021, 10:23:56 AM
Sorry, it works for me.

I'll see if I can list them a bit later

starting at 30 and working my way down

Robin Williams
Javier Bardem
Christian Bale
Tom Hanks
Sean Penn
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Denzel Washington
Gary Oldman
Robert De Niro
Fred Astaire
Spencer Tracy
Morgan Freeman
Robert Duvall
Clark Gable
James Dean
Richard Burton
Orson Welles
Al Pacino
Cary Grant
Paul Newman
Dustin Hoffman
Sidney Pointier
Gregory Peck
Anthony Hopkins
James Stewart
Jack Nicholson
Lawrence Olivier
Daniel Day-Lewis
Marlon Brando
Humphrey Bogart

There you have it for anyone who couldn't get by the link.

As I said, I would have left off Williams and Javbior Barden, probably Christian Bale also. They have had some decent enough movies, but greatest of all time?????????????????

Where is Henry Fonda. James Cagney, Gary Cooper? Fonda in particular was just a terrific actor who did so many memorable roles.

As I said in the beginning, the list is subjective to whoever is making it. I have no problems with the top 10, even 15 as all are just great actors, but some of the others, best ever?????

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Interesting list.

I agree that Williams, Bardem, and probably Bale can be left off. They're good but haven't had long enough careers or made enough movies to be considered great.

I think Seymour-Hoffman, Penn, and Denzel deserve to be higher up than they are.

I would probably move Hoffman down a bit. He is no doubt very good, but better than DeNiro and Pacino? I don't think so.

Where are Gene Hackman and Clint? How could someone put Robin Williams and Javier Bardem in but not Hackman??

I'm going to make a statement that I'm sure nobody will agree with, but I'll say it anyway: I actually think Morgan Freeman is a bit overrated as an actor. Now to be clear, I really like the guy, and I think he has made some outstanding movies. And I'm certainly not saying he's a bad actor. But the reality is that he is practically the same in every movie. He's very likeable, but is there much range there? I think he is successful because he is popular and because he has been in excellent movies, but I'm not sure he is some brililant actor.

jimv

This list is made up by a guy who is most familiar with current & foreign actors.  If I made a list, I'd be biased toward the older actors whose names have already been mentioned..  Speaking about older actors, Fred Astaire????  Is he kidding? :o

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 12, 2021, 03:56:34 PM
Interesting list.

I agree that Williams, Bardem, and probably Bale can be left off. They're good but haven't had long enough careers or made enough movies to be considered great.

I think Seymour-Hoffman, Penn, and Denzel deserve to be higher up than they are.

I would probably move Hoffman down a bit. He is no doubt very good, but better than DeNiro and Pacino? I don't think so.

Where are Gene Hackman and Clint? How could someone put Robin Williams and Javier Bardem in but not Hackman??

I'm going to make a statement that I'm sure nobody will agree with, but I'll say it anyway: I actually think Morgan Freeman is a bit overrated as an actor. Now to be clear, I really like the guy, and I think he has made some outstanding movies. And I'm certainly not saying he's a bad actor. But the reality is that he is practically the same in every movie. He's very likeable, but is there much range there? I think he is successful because he is popular and because he has been in excellent movies, but I'm not sure he is some brililant actor.

Once you mentioned it, I agree about Freeman. Great guy, good actor, but most of his parts are about the same and what range does he have? Not one of the 30 best ever?

Even Gary Oldman, a few excellent parts, Oscar-winning role, but is that a career?

And, like you, not to be shot, or anything, but James Dean?. While he was excellent in his 3 movie roles, that is all he ever did THREE movies. To be in the top 15 or so, actors of all time from 3 movies--WOW.

AND, Bogey is my favorite all time actor and he has made some memorable pix and was truly a great actor, but best of all time, #1, well............

Maybe if I had to name one it would be Sir Lawrence Olivier as truly the best actor of all time, even if I didn't like many of his pix.

You mentioned Clint Eastwood, another of my favs, but was he really a great actor in Dirty harry movies, Spaghetti Westerns? Most enjoyable movies but if you say that, where would you put someone like Errol Flynn?

Anyway, a good topic for discussion, as Jim, alluded to, depending on your age.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on July 12, 2021, 05:00:21 PM
Once you mentioned it, I agree about Freeman. Great guy, good actor, but most of his parts are about the same and what range does he have? Not one of the 30 best ever?

Even Gary Oldman, a few excellent parts, Oscar-winning role, but is that a career?

And, like you, not to be shot, or anything, but James Dean?. While he was excellent in his 3 movie roles, that is all he ever did THREE movies. To be in the top 15 or so, actors of all time from 3 movies--WOW.

AND, Bogey is my favorite all time actor and he has made some memorable pix and was truly a great actor, but best of all time, #1, well............

Maybe if I had to name one it would be Sir Lawrence Olivier as truly the best actor of all time, even if I didn't like many of his pix.

You mentioned Clint Eastwood, another of my favs, but was he really a great actor in Dirty harry movies, Spaghetti Westerns? Most enjoyable movies but if you say that, where would you put someone like Errol Flynn?

Anyway, a good topic for discussion, as Jim, alluded to, depending on your age.

Lenn,

Yeah come to think of it, I agree about Clint. He has had a tremendous overall career, but I don't think he is actually a top 30 actor of all time. I'd say he's a top 30 American film legend of all time when you look at everything he has done including all the directing, but probably not an actual top 30 actor.

I stand by Hackman though... I think he has been tremendous and has displayed all kinds of range.

DeNiro has amazing range when you look at the roles he has played. He doesn't just play gangsters.

I agree on Dean. He was iconic but probably shouldn't be on this list.

Ed Vette

I think diversification of roles and many different personalities make for a great actor as well as body of work.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

I don't know where I would put him on an "All-Time" list, but someone who I think is a great actor but is never mentioned is Brad Pitt.
The guy has done various roles in different genres and I think he was very good to great in all of them. From Fight Club to Mr. & Mrs. Smith to 12 Monkeys to the Ocean's movies....Fury, Inglorious Basterds, and so on. I seriously think his "Heartthrob" looks cause him to be overlooked as an actor with serious chops.
Another of the "younger" guys on my list is Edward Norton. Another guy who I think doesn't get the credit he deserves.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Lou

I think the problem with Pitt, as well as guys like Tom cruise et al, is that many of the roles they take as really not what one might call 'serious acting' if you know what I mean. Pitt, like Cruise, makes some really good movies, but most are sort of action/adventure type which rarely get them high marks for their acting abilities. Pitt was finally recognized as the best supporting actor a couple of years ago. I would never put Pitt, or Cruise in the same sentence with guys like Welles, Stewart, Olivier, et al. Good actors but maybe they need some more diversity to really get noticed.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Not sure I agree Lenn.
Now I'm not pounding the drum to get Pitt an Oscar or anything, but I think he does have a more diverse career than people realize. If you're looking for more "serious / diverse" roles, he's also been in:
A River Runs Through it
Se7en
Meet Joe Black
Spy Game
Moneyball
Benjamin Button
He's done drama, action, comedy, sci fi, and most everything else in between. I just think he flies under the radar when discussing the "greats". Although, a lot of times people in all walks of life aren't appreciated for how good they do something until they're not doing it anymore.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on July 20, 2021, 01:31:08 PM
Not sure I agree Lenn.
Now I'm not pounding the drum to get Pitt an Oscar or anything, but I think he does have a more diverse career than people realize. If you're looking for more "serious / diverse" roles, he's also been in:
A River Runs Through it
Se7en
Meet Joe Black
Spy Game
Moneyball
Benjamin Button
He's done drama, action, comedy, sci fi, and most everything else in between. I just think he flies under the radar when discussing the "greats". Although, a lot of times people in all walks of life aren't appreciated for how good they do something until they're not doing it anymore.

I think Brad Pitt has been a very good actor of the past 30 years. Definitely a big box office, A-list, Hollywood mega-star of his day. I don't think he is any sort of all-timer though. I would say he is definitely good, but not truly great. I would probably say the same about Cruise. Good but not great. Nothing wrong with being good. There are plenty of actors of lesser ability than either of these two men who have still had very good Hollywood careers. These two are not truly great though. Nicholson is great. DeNiro is great. Hackman is great. I don't put either Cruise or Pitt in the same tier as those actors. They're a step or two down from those types of names.

LennG

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 20, 2021, 05:23:38 PM
I think Brad Pitt has been a very good actor of the past 30 years. Definitely a big box office, A-list, Hollywood mega-star of his day. I don't think he is any sort of all-timer though. I would say he is definitely good, but not truly great. I would probably say the same about Cruise. Good but not great. Nothing wrong with being good. There are plenty of actors of lesser ability than either of these two men who have still had very good Hollywood careers. These two are not truly great though. Nicholson is great. DeNiro is great. Hackman is great. I don't put either Cruise or Pitt in the same tier as those actors. They're a step or two down from those types of names.

Agree completely. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Again, no ofre3nse to either of these actors, and I enjoy most of their movies and roles.

I would agree that Pitt has tried to expand his resume a lot more than say Cruise and has earned the respect of many in and out of Hollywood.

Charlie Weiss