News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Don't judge a book just by a video clip

Started by LennG, August 12, 2021, 09:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/central-park-confrontation-goes-viral-white-woman-calls-cop-on-black-birder/2431773/

Don't know if everyone was able to know about this. It happened maybe a year ago and was broadcast all over the news. This lady was crucified, lost her job now has a suit against her former company about it, and was basically driven into hiding, all because of a phone call and a clip-on someone's cell phone.

NOW, it has come to light that there is more to this story than the news media cared to share with the public.

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/columnists/cathy-young/cathy-young-1.50331946

Seems the media saw a good chance to vilify someone without all the facts and SELECTIVELY chose to show a clip that really didn't tell the entire story.

As the article says, the lady who screamed wolf, wasn't maybe the nicest person in the world, but her reasons and actions were plain, once we see the entire story.

How many stories and video clips that we see about certain things do not tell the entire story, maybe what led up to the filmed incident. We see 15 seconds of a story that maybe takes 5 minutes to happen and we make conclusions from that.

Again, this still may not be a nice lady, but I hope she gets justice for things that were not all her fault.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Unfortunately I couldn't see the Newsday article, a pop-up to subscribe blocked it.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on August 14, 2021, 09:36:33 AM
Unfortunately I couldn't see the Newsday article, a pop-up to subscribe blocked it.

Lou

If you can, try to open anything like this with an 'in private; window. Doing that usually blocks these pop-ups.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

I read it and despite the best efforts by the article to SPIN the events the woman still comes off as a dishonest racist XXXXXXX who more than deserved the public scorn heaped on her.  The article couldn't deny (despite their best efforts) that the white woman deliberately weaponized the man's race against him.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 15, 2021, 09:06:38 AM
I read it and despite the best efforts by the article to SPIN the events the woman still comes off as a dishonest racist XXXXXXX who more than deserved the public scorn heaped on her.  The article couldn't deny (despite their best efforts) that the white woman deliberately weaponized the man's race against him.

Maybe you didn't read the entire article and did not try reading it with a one-sided opinion.

It didn't say she wasn't a racist, but it did tell us about circumstances that led up to her 'outburst' which no one has ever known before.

As I did say, she probably is some sort of racist, but it did explain why she repeated it so many times.

Anyway, the gist of this wasn't all about this particular incident, but many incidents in general where we form opinions based on seeing a blub of a video and not being privy to the entire incident. Sort of what many news outlets do tos way opinion.

Charlie Weiss