News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dune

Started by LennG, October 31, 2021, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 03, 2021, 01:10:45 PM
I agree with you guys, a good musical score can really take a movie to a whole other level.   However, I don't think musical scores should be a crutch where scenes completely break down without them.

2001 isn

TONKA56

Oh...there was also a 2000 SyFy channel miniseries which I have never seen. It was praised for its fidelity to the source material and solid cast, but it suffered from a low budget and underwhelming special effects.

LennG

Quote from: TONKA56 on November 13, 2021, 08:52:43 AM
Dune is one of my favorite works of fiction. For me it is right there with Tolkien
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

TONKA56

Quote from: LennG on November 13, 2021, 07:57:00 PM
I think that was exactly the point I was trying to make in my original post. If you go into this movie/story blind of any knowledge of the story, wouold you be able to follow along or really appreciate the movie?

I admit it could be a challenge if one were to go into the movie absolutely cold, but that to me is not a requisite for a film. Some of the best art must or may be consumed in sessions to be thoroughly appreciated. 

TONKA56

Dune is as much about themes as it is about plot, probably more so. 

LennG

Quote from: TONKA56 on November 13, 2021, 08:52:43 AM
Dune is one of my favorite works of fiction. For me it is right there with Tolkien
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss