News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Best Military Movies of All Time

Started by LennG, November 20, 2021, 01:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

So we touched on Westerns, so now let's go to 'Military' type movies

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2021/11/10/the-best-military-movies-of-all-time

As was with the last list, it is very subjective, but I feel this is a pretty decent enough list. It includes many 'older' movies, from the 1940s which were made to support WWII.
I don't know if I would support the #1 movie. Though a very good movie, I was never a huge fan.

I was also thinking of say Schindler's List but overall, it may not be considered a 'military' type movie.

Any other opinions are welcome.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

There are just so many. "Full Metal Jacket" and "The Deer Hunter" come to mind. "Glory" does as well.

jimv

First of all, it was difficult to read the list because ads kept popping in.  More importantly, IMO, there were too many post-war movies listed; I don't consider them as "war."  I agree wholeheartedly with a number of those listed although I can't remember them all.  My top war movie of all time remains "Saving Private Ryan."

Here some others I feel are terrific:

Objective Burma
Wake Island
Air Force
They Were Expendable
A Walk in the Sun
Guadalcanal Diary
Tora Tora Tora

I'll stop there.

jimmyz

Black Hawk Down.

No politics.  No psycho drama or philosophical musings about the futility of war.  An intense look at a chaotic event in recent US history.  Its become a rare thing in Hollywood which lately seems to always want to inject some message or lesson. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

jimv

Quote from: jimmyz on November 20, 2021, 02:06:33 PM
Black Hawk Down.

No politics.  No psycho drama or philosophical musings about the futility of war.  An intense look at a chaotic event in recent US history.  Its become a rare thing in Hollywood which lately seems to always want to inject some message or lesson.

I know the man who was the actual Marine commander during the Black Hawk Down event.  He's a member of my Military Officers Association chapter.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: LennG on November 20, 2021, 01:22:16 PM

So we touched on Westerns, so now let's go to 'Military' type movies

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2021/11/10/the-best-military-movies-of-all-time/11/

As was with the last list, it is very subjective, but I feel this is a pretty decent enough list. It includes many 'older' movies, from the 1940s which were made to support WWII.
I don't know if I would support the #1 movie. Though a very good movie, I was never a huge fan.

I was also thinking of say Schindler's List but overall, it may not be considered a 'military' type movie.

Any other opinions are welcome.

I don't know if they would count, as they are miniseries rather than straight movies, but Winds of War and War and Remembrance were superb, IMO.

On the straight movie category, Gettysburg was excellent, particularly if you knew something about the battle.

And I know this is about movies, but I've been watching a very interesting series on Hulu called XCompany.  It is a Canadian series based on a true Canadian OSS-type operation that was training and deploying behind the lines intelligence and sabotage teams in 1942.  While the operation was real, the story of the team that is Central to the series is fictional.  We don't get to see much of ww2 from a Canadian perspective.  I know some of you like this ww2 stuff, as I do, so I thought I would mention it.  Recommended.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TONKA56

jimv

Here are some I forgot to mention the first time:

Twelve O'Clock High
Pork Chop Hill
Bataan
Mrs. Miniver

kingm56

LennG

Quote from: TONKA56 on November 20, 2021, 09:27:11 PM
Apocalypse Now

I believe this was their #1 military movie.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

For some reason the entire list didn't appear, my apologies

if anyone is interested, try this link

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2021/11/10/the-best-military-movies-of-all-time

Charlie Weiss

LennG

If the new link works, then many of the movies mentioned were on the list.  Again, sorry about that.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

One movie that I feel was a real ommission is 'Lawrence of Arabia', and, as someone mentioned mini-series, maybe the nest EVER was/military series was 'Band of Brothers'.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Any list with "Dunkirk" on it gets a sly wink from me.  To me, that movie was a phony from beginning to end.  It hardly mentioned or showed the British civilians who drove their boats across the Channel and rescued most of the 300,000 soldiers stranded there.  The two pictures that showed that massive assistance was "Mrs. Miniver" and "The Darkest Hour."

Here are some more war pix that I'd like to list:

The Enemy Below
The Dam Busters
One of Our Aircraft is Missing
Wings
The Fighting 69th
Zulu

LennG

Hey let's not forget my favorite movie when I was young, 'The Charge of the Light Brigade'.

Charlie Weiss