News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Exercising that blob atop my shoulders (Wordle)

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, January 18, 2022, 04:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I got it today, but strange word. It feels like they're running out of words!

T200

Today's word is a humdinger. After 2 guesses, I picked all gray letters, no duplicates.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I admire the cunning they used to pick this weekend's words.   They were both well designed to stump people
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 27, 2022, 09:26:25 AM
I admire the cunning they used to pick this weekend's words.   They were both well designed to stump people
I got yesterday's in 3. Consider me stumped today.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 27, 2022, 09:27:10 AM
I got yesterday's in 3. Consider me stumped today.

I think from the puzzler's point of view there are 3 tactics to make the puzzles harder

1) use more obscure words

2) use words with uncommon letter placements or letter combinations

3) use words that contain less common letters like J or X or Z
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 27, 2022, 09:33:12 AM
I think from the puzzler's point of view there are 3 tactics to make the puzzles harder

1) use more obscure words

2) use words with uncommon letter placements or letter combinations

3) use words that contain less common letters like J or X or Z
I sent you a PM

Jolly Blue Giant

I got it today in the 5th attempt, but I thought I was going to be stumped. Only had one square in yellow after two shots. By the third attempt, I had no vowels to work with and my consonants were down to nil. Instead of rushing through it though, I took a lot of time and refused to put in a word with a known gray letter in order to figure out where my two letters I did have fit in the scheme. I was a brain worker  #:-S
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

These last two days were very tricky. Both pretty obscure words and with at least one less common letter. I wonder if they're planning on keeping the words more challenging like this.

Ed Vette

Today was a good one. Got it in four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I didn't do yesterdays, so I can't comment, but today I got it on my last try. No vowels. Very tricky.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Yesterday's was kind of hard. On my second try, I had 4 green in a row *ound. I got it right on the 4th try, but when I looked back at it - there were 8 possible words:

Bound
Found
Hound
Mound
Pound
Round
Sound
Wound

...so it was a bit of luck to get it.

Took me 4 tries to get today's as well  ~X(
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 29, 2022, 08:10:42 AM
Yesterday's was kind of hard. On my second try, I had 4 green in a row *ound. I got it right on the 4th try, but when I looked back at it - there were 8 possible words:

Bound
Found
Hound
Mound
Pound
Round
Sound
Wound

...so it was a bit of luck to get it.

Took me 4 tries to get today's as well  ~X(
All the different choices screwed me yesterday... I missed it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on March 29, 2022, 08:20:21 AM
All the different choices screwed me yesterday... I missed it.

A friend of mine had a very long streak ended yesterday for that very reason. I am sure a lot of people did. I was in the same position but just was fortunate to guess the right one. I had four greens on the third guess (all but the first letter), and I still easily could have struck out. No skill involved in that situation - it's entirely down to luck. i guess the only thing I would say about those situations is that I have found it is generally better to go with the more common words over the less common ones, although by no means is that any sort of guarantee.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2022, 08:24:15 AM
A friend of mine had a very long streak ended yesterday for that very reason. I am sure a lot of people did. I was in the same position but just was fortunate to guess the right one. I had four greens on the third guess (all but the first letter), and I still easily could have struck out. No skill involved in that situation - it's entirely down to luck. i guess the only thing I would say about those situations is that I have found it is generally better to go with the more common words over the less common ones, although by no means is that any sort of guarantee.
I had 28 straight... starting a new one today lol

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 29, 2022, 08:24:15 AM

There are tricks that can be used.  If you have multiple valid guesses you could create one word with as many of the guess letters as possible rather than making all the guesses
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE