News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Escape from Alcatraz--Did it really happen?

Started by LennG, June 20, 2022, 12:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Alcatraz is infamous in the history of US prisons. Its location on a small island in the cold waters of San Francisco Bay made it impossible to escape – at least that was the idea. Any inmate brave enough to try would have to swim over a mile in frigid water with a strong current before they could make it to land.

Between its opening in 1934 and its closing in 1963, a total of 36 inmates tried to escape their incarcerated fate. The most famous case came in June of 1962. Since the prisoners were never captured and their bodies were never found, their fate was uncertain for a long time. However, decades later, new evidence came in that made authorities reopen their investigation. What did they learn?

John Anglin Writes a Letter
In 2013, a letter was sent to the San Francisco Police Department. "My name is John Anglin," the letter began, "I escaped from Alcatraz in June 1962 with my brother Clarence and Frank Morris."

https://www.pastchronicles.com/fast-gallery/escape-from-alcatraz-the-prisoners-behind-the-1962-escape-plan/2/?utm_source=baidu&utm_content=feed&utm_medium=msn.com&utm_campaign=DP_BD_US_D_PC_AlcatrazEscape_0616_CE_V9&utm_term=${CONTENT_ID}&ac=2

Was it really possible that these guys did escape and ended up living long lives as free men?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

One of recent history's great mysteries.
I'm inclined to believe the never made it to land, but the lack of any evidence proving that makes me wonder...
Interesting case indeed.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

y_so_blu

Possible, but not probable. Those guys most likely drowned before they could reach the mainland.

It's one of those legends that will persist throughout American history, like Paul Bunyan and the Maytag repairman. Nothing wrong with those.  <:-P