News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Animation evolution

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, July 02, 2022, 11:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

As a kid, I watched Warner Bros. cartoons - mainly Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Tweetie, etc. I occasionally watched Hanna-Barbera productions like Dudley Do-Right, Huckleberry Hound, etc. As a kid, I loved them.

How things have changed in the animation world and can still entertain adults as well as children - some (like "Archer") are NOT for children of course and there's quite a few others that are pretty much adult only...BTW, I love watching Archer, absolutely hilarious!

Regardless, besides the quality of animation, they have come a long way into having an actual plot and story. Take "Shrek" for example (still one of my favorite movies), which is quite something considering I'm an old man now. But there are a lot of them like the "Minion" movies, "The Incredibles", "Lego Batman Movie" (which gets a lot of laughs out of me for their depiction of Batman with an oversized ego who is overly petty). BTW, my girlfriend has small children so when they are here, those shows are on and I see bits and pieces of them.

I am astounded at the quality and story telling of cartoons in the 21st Century compared to the cartoons I watched as a kid. Of course there was "Bambi", but not great graphics...but better than "Tom Terrific" or "Gumby" (which were a joke in themselves...LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eisKxhjBnZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4noiCRJRoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQUKzSDhrg

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Good topic Ric.

When I was a kid I still remember watching JoJo the clown come out of those old fashioned inkwells as he was being drawn. Farmer Jones was another where they repeated the same scene several times to make one think they were running or something.

I was a HUGE fan of Disney movies, though I never really appreciated them until I was older and saw them with my children. Movies like Cinderella, Snow White, Dumbo, etc. had so much charm, and, at the time, were so far ahead of their time.

My favorite cartoon as a kid was Popeye. I liked the Warner Brothers, and Looney Tunes, but you know, I was never a huge fan of Bugs and Company.

As for today's animation, I do not think anyone does it better than PIXAR. Their movies are incredible and are for all ages. The Toy Story series is just magical and anyone who doesn't like them will never remember what being a kid was.
I watch some with my grandkids, like Frozen, but I loved the first couple of Shrek movies, Monsters Inc was wonderful and those Despicable Me movies are truly great, and again, for all ages.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss