News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Any other Star Trek fans here?

Started by MightyGiants, August 07, 2022, 08:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I just finished watching the season finale of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and it was so brilliant, I was hoping there was someone to discuss it with
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I was never a huge fan. When the original came out I was overseas and never got to see that, but when I married, my wife was a huge fan, so we watched all the originals, and, by now I have seen most of them several times.
I watched Star Trek The Next Generation for the first couple of years but then I sort of drifted away and never really came back.
I did start watching Star Trek Discovery and saw most of season 1, but again, I got lost somewhere and always meant to continue but never did.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 07, 2022, 08:41:06 AMI just finished watching the season finale of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and it was so brilliant, I was hoping there was someone to discuss it with
I'm a big fan of Star Trek (original series); Star Trek: Next Generation; Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; and the ten "original-cast" feature-length motion pictures.

I've also seen Star Trek: Picard (season one - using my free-trial of Paramount+) but I don't now have Paramount+

Is Paramount+ the only source for viewing Star Trek: Strange New Worlds?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 07, 2022, 12:30:11 PMI'm a big fan of Star Trek (original series); Star Trek: Next Generation; Star Trek: Deep Space Nine; and the ten "original-cast" feature-length motion pictures.

I've also seen Star Trek: Picard (season one - using my free-trial of Paramount+) but I don't now have Paramount+

Is Paramount+ the only source for viewing Star Trek: Strange New Worlds?

Bob

Unfortunately that's the only way to see the series.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Well, "Strange New Worlds" is a prequel.  These are stories of the Enterprise when Captain Pike was in command (Spock is in it as well as Nurse Chapel).   So as you know, Captain Pike suffered a terrible accident that left him disfigured and badly crippled.   In this show, one of the twists is that Captain Pike learns of that the terrible fate that awaits him.

With that knowledge in hand, he starts a plot to prevent the accident from happening, only to be visited by his future self.   Turns out messing with one's fate has terrible consequences, and to show the younger Pike the error, Pike is pushed seven years into the future.

Now comes what I think is the brilliant plot twist; they are now doing the storyline of one of the original Star Trek Episodes (I posted the Wikipedia plot summary below).  Only in this timeline Captain Pike is still in command of the Enterprise instead of Captain Kirk  (who is in command of a different starship).   The recreation of the original story with the new twist was absolutely brilliant and a delight, and the whole episode was thought-provoking

The USS Enterprise, under the command of Captain Kirk, is investigating a loss of communications with a line of Earth outposts near the Romulan Neutral Zone, formed under the terms of the peace treaty that ended the Earth–Romulan War a century earlier. Because there were no visual communications at that time, the two races have never seen each other.

While Kirk officiates at the wedding of Lieutenant Tomlinson and Ensign Martine, Outpost 4 comes under attack. The Enterprise comes to Outpost 4's aid and contacts the base commander, Hansen, who reveals he is the only survivor of an attack by an unknown enemy. As they speak, the enemy ship reappears, fires, and disappears. The shot destroys the outpost and kills Hansen.

The ship's sensors locate the attacker, which remains invisible. Kirk surmises that the attacker is equipped with a cloaking device. A coded message from the intruder provides a view through one of its internal cameras, revealing humanoids with an appearance like Vulcans. Lieutenant Stiles, the navigator, son of a service family that lost several members in the Earth–Romulan War, begins to question the loyalty of the Enterprise's first officer, Mr. Spock.

During a discussion of the Romulan ship's capabilities, Stiles suggests the Enterprise attack before it can reach the Neutral Zone. Spock agrees; he reasons that if the Romulans are in fact an offshoot of the Vulcan species and have retained the martial philosophy of the Vulcans' ancient past, they would surely take advantage of any perceived weakness.

A cat-and-mouse game ensues. The Enterprise is faster and more maneuverable, while the Romulan ship has a cloaking device and immensely destructive plasma torpedoes. However, the range of these torpedoes is limited, and firing one requires so much power that the ship must decloak first.

After several attacks, the Romulans, almost beaten, plant a nuclear weapon amidst jettisoned debris. When Spock detects a "metal-cased object", Kirk orders a point-blank phaser shot that detonates the device. The Enterprise is shaken by the blast and many of the phaser crew are incapacitated, requiring Stiles to fill in. Kirk orders operations to work at minimal power to exaggerate the apparent damage and lure the Romulans in for a kill shot. Although the Romulan commander suspects Kirk's trap, Decius, a politically well-connected member of the command crew, pressures him to attack. When the Romulan ship decloaks to launch a torpedo, Kirk tries to spring his trap, but a coolant leak in the phaser control room incapacitates Stiles and Tomlinson. Spock rescues Stiles and fires the phasers, mortally wounding the Romulan ship.

Kirk hails the Romulans and at last communicates directly with his opponent, offering to beam aboard survivors. The Romulan commander tells Kirk that he regrets having met him in combat, that "You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend." He declines Kirk's offer to take off his crew, telling the Captain that it is not the Romulan way to be taken prisoner. The Commander then triggers his ship's self-destruct system.

Enterprise's only fatality is Lt. Tomlinson. Kirk goes to the chapel to offer comfort to a grieving Ensign Martine.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Thanks for taking the time to post that plot summary. It sounds like it's would be fun to see. 

Maybe they'll give me another "free trial" so I can check it out.

Other than that and Star Trek: Picard they really don't have anything that interests me much.

Bob

Bob In PA

Rich: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One is just 10 episodes, right (all of which have now been aired)?

So for the price of a single month's membership ($4.99) I get a month to watch the whole enchilada. 

Or - if I want to be cheap about it, they give new members a free week, I can watch two per day and cancel. 

Bob

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on August 08, 2022, 05:03:19 PMRich: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season One is just 10 episodes, right (all of which have now been aired)?

So for the price of a single month's membership ($4.99) I get a month to watch the whole enchilada. 

Or - if I want to be cheap about it, they give new members a free week, I can watch two per day and cancel. 

Bob

Yes, just 10 episodes for season one
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

I am 5 episodes in season 1. The cast is starting to come together. A little bit strange to see the original characters as they were before Kirk was Captain. I look forward to finishing season 1 soon.

Bill

""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Slugsy-Narrows

I'm not die hard a Die Hard Trekkie but have watched the whole original series.  Most of Next Gen, and a number of thr spin offs if not in their entirety. And all the movies.

I have watched now all of Picard - love it.  Discovery - love it and the new one Rich mentioned - really liked it.

I think they are having more success on Paramount Plus then they are on regular TV.

It's funny.  There are a lot of shows on these streaming services that are doing a GREAT job and blowing away regular TV.

I would rather watch fewer great episodes then 20+ episodes on reg TV that 1/2 are just ok!

Disney+ with Star Wars and Marvel are killing it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

I've been a fan and watched all the television Star Trek series including Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise as well as ST and STNG.

We pay about $250 a month for cable. Paying for premium channels like Paramount or HBO++ or even Netflix just doesn't sit right with me. There's plenty to watch with the hundreds of channels we already get. The problem is that people support this premium on premium, special sports packages etc. so the market is there and has always been there.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bill Brown

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 09, 2022, 07:50:16 AMI've been a fan and watched all the television Star Trek series including Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise as well as ST and STNG.

We pay about $250 a month for cable. Paying for premium channels like Paramount or HBO++ or even Netflix just doesn't sit right with me. There's plenty to watch with the hundreds of channels we already get. The problem is that people support this premium on premium, special sports packages etc. so the market is there and has always been there.

Ed. Curious about your cable situation. I had Spectrum for both my internet and my cable service. It was costing me over 250 a month. Spectrum is really the only choice I have for internet and that is 80 a month. I canceled my cable service with Spectrum and got Hulu+  it costs me 80 a month and I am quite happy with it. About 90 stations with lots of sports channels plus my 3 local networks. I got a service called frndly for 8 a month because Louise and my daughter like hallmark and I enjoy a lot of older shows they carry. So I'm pretty happy with this combo for about 180 a month. Of course you always see something you would like to see but as you said you have to draw the line somewhere.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on August 09, 2022, 07:50:16 AMI've been a fan and watched all the television Star Trek series including Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise as well as ST and STNG.

Ed

Go down a couple tiers on your cable and get a few premium channels!

You look at what you are paying for on cable vs what you actually watch I bet you don't watch 90% of the channels you pay for!

Also if you have HBO on your cable you may get HBO+ for free.

I reduced my cable package and put the money saved into streaming channels and I'll be honest.  May go down a few more packages. 

The content on cable and normal TV has gone down drastically.

The content on these streaming services has gotten so good, this shows are better then the movies as you are getting 8+ episodes of movie quality, they get to tell a story and it's not rushed like a 2 hr movie.

Just my 2 cents but I think you will find that you are paying WAY MORE for cable then you are actually watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

No doubt we are paying more than watching but I want channels like Red Zone and AMC. We just added a 5th TV for my MIL and they all have DVR service. They also charged us $60 to set that up so the bill this month was $330. This also includes Internet and Wifi as well as the house phone that we only keep for the alarm system. We actually called and received a reduction a few months ago. It's Optimum Cable. I'll take a look at the service packages Paul and maybe there's something that can be done. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: ps11yat14 on August 09, 2022, 08:28:06 AMEd. Curious about your cable situation. I had Spectrum for both my internet and my cable service. It was costing me over 250 a month. Spectrum is really the only choice I have for internet and that is 80 a month. I canceled my cable service with Spectrum and got Hulu+  it costs me 80 a month and I am quite happy with it. About 90 stations with lots of sports channels plus my 3 local networks. I got a service called frndly for 8 a month because Louise and my daughter like hallmark and I enjoy a lot of older shows they carry. So I'm pretty happy with this combo for about 180 a month. Of course you always see something you would like to see but as you said you have to draw the line somewhere.

Bill
You cannot view this attachment.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin