News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dilbert - funny or lame

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, September 22, 2022, 12:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

There are a few comics that like to read (Pearls Before Swine is my favorite, Dilbert is second on that list since Far Side has gone...I also like Hagar and Shoe but not like Pearls and Dilbert). Anyway...Dilbert is being cancelled by 77 newspapers today. When reading the reason why, it is because people who do not work in an office do not find it funny  :-??

Personally, I spent decades working in an office environment dealing with daily issues of incompetent management, go-getters, slackers, etc., so I can relate to mosts of the jokes in Dilbert. Apparently, a lot do not find it funny at all

what say you?

[url=https://postimages.org/]

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

No offense Ric, but I never found Dilbert funny and most times never read it. (PS--I have never worked in an office). I can say the same for Pearls Before Swine and I don't even know if it is carried in our local papers.

Myself, my favorite was, as will always be Peanuts, followed by Blondie, and after that on the second tier--For Better or For Worse, Baby Blues, Zits, Hagar, and one my wife and I constantly enjoy, maybe because we see ourselves in this quite often, Pickles.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Jolly: As with any profession or activity in which a person is required to produce "art" (using the term loosely) on a fixed schedule, Dilbert sometimes a home run and other times a weak grounder to second. Sometimes you just run out of time and have no choice but to meet your contractual deadline.  Actually, in a sense, the same thing applies to football.  Some days you gotta get out there and you're just not feeling it. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Years ago, I like Dilbert, but the longer Dilbert was out of the office environment, the less funny and relevant his cartoons were.   

I like Pearls Before Swine and Non Sequitor.   To be fair, newspaper comics is a dying art form.   Most of these artists have been doing strips that are past their sell-by date (much like TV shows, a comic strip loses something over time).   No one is getting into comics anymore.  It's not a career with any sort of future.  Worse some of the best retired early before their strips aged into mediocrity, like Calvin and Hobbs, Farside, and Bloom County.  I used to read the Comics every day and read more than half a dozen every day without fail.  Now I barely follow them
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 22, 2022, 12:49:22 PMYears ago, I like Dilbert, but the longer Dilbert was out of the office environment, the less funny and relevant his cartoons were. 

I like Pearls Before Swine and Non Sequitor.  To be fair, newspaper comics is a dying art form.  Most of these artists have been doing strips that are past their sell-by date (much like TV shows, a comic strip loses something over time).  No one is getting into comics anymore.  It's not a career with any sort of future.  Worse some of the best retired early before their strips aged into mediocrity, like Calvin and Hobbs, Farside, and Bloom County.  I used to read the Comics every day and read more than half a dozen every day without fail.  Now I barely follow them

Yeah, pretty much spot on. Totally forgot about Bloom County that used to be a must read for me everyday. Of all the comics that deal with politics, I think Doonesbury has long flamed out. Pretty funny in the 70's, but now a complete bore. Of course, for the last few years they've only run new skits on Sundays, the rest are old reruns

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2022, 12:27:17 PMNo offense Ric, but I never found Dilbert funny and most times never read it. (PS--I have never worked in an office). I can say the same for Pearls Before Swine and I don't even know if it is carried in our local papers.

Myself, my favorite was, as will always be Peanuts, followed by Blondie, and after that on the second tier--For Better or For Worse, Baby Blues, Zits, Hagar, and one my wife and I constantly enjoy, maybe because we see ourselves in this quite often, Pickles.

Have to admit Lenn - those are funny!  =))

LennG

Ric

Every week, my wife cuts out one of the Pickles strips and it goes on the fridge for me to see. She even pencils in my name in place of Earl's.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

a couple more I can really relate to.  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))

Charlie Weiss