News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you remember

Started by MightyGiants, November 15, 2022, 07:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I liked Mercurochrome much better than Iodine. Iodine burned like crazy whereas the Mercurochrome didn't!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

I wonder why tinsel went out of style
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

I still eat fruit cocktail from a czn and return bottles to a redemption store. You get a nickle for every one.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: ps11yat14 on November 16, 2022, 09:32:02 AMI still eat fruit cocktail from a czn and return bottles to a redemption store. You get a nickle for every one.

Bill

I didn't know there was still states that did the bottle returns
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

My mother used Tincture Merthiolate on my cuts, and it burned like fire. Never heard of Mercurochrome, I suspect it's similar

So many things have changed since I was a kid that there's hardly anything I used that is used today by kids
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

You know, the funny thing is they did away with all those burning antiseptics like peroxide, iodine, etc., especially on the face.   That burning you felt was tissue being damaged.  So it turns out burning tissue also increased scarring
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 09:33:02 AMI didn't know there was still states that did the bottle returns

Rich. In Maine we return soda and beer glass bottles and aluminum cans for cash. Some wine bottles are worth 15 cents. Plastic water bottles are also 5 cents. That is a big reason you don't see those things on the side of the road. It is not uncommon to see someone walking along the road picking up bottles that some people still throw out while driving.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 09:33:02 AMI didn't know there was still states that did the bottle returns

I return glass bottles after I drink all the milk. Byrne Dairy in Upstate New York. Bought one yesterday

ozzie

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 08:56:36 AMI wonder why tinsel went out of style
I have often wondered this myself. We always had tinsel on our tree growing up, now you never see it!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

I remember lots of things, do you?

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

@LennG's post of a set of encyclopedias reminded me just how world-changing the internet really was.   I am old enough to remember that those books were a family's only source of knowledge and information (along with whatever other books the family may have), short of a trip to the local library.   Now almost all of us carry around a little device that gives us complete access to almost all the world's information anytime and anywhere we want it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Young people have no clue what this is, but in my opinion, it is preferable to the turn signal dimmer switch

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 11:21:04 AM@LennG's post of a set of encyclopedias reminded me just how world-changing the internet really was.   I am old enough to remember that those books were a family's only source of knowledge and information (along with whatever other books the family may have), short of a trip to the local library.   Now almost all of us carry around a little device that gives us complete access to almost all the world's information anytime and anywhere we want it.

Yeah, my mother still has our complete collection of "Encyclopedia Americana" and "The Book of Knowledge" encyclopedias. She asked me if they are worth anything and could she sell them...LOL. Basically a decoration in a house library

My favorite ad in a long time: