News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you remember

Started by MightyGiants, November 15, 2022, 07:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 09:33:02 AMI didn't know there was still states that did the bottle returns
Really? I thought most states did.

Sem

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 15, 2022, 07:08:03 PM

I think canned fruit salad is nasty.

I remember Mercurochrome. Back when I was in Cub Scouts (maybe 9 or 10 years old), for one of out projects we each made a first aid kit into which we put band aids, gauze, Mercurochrome, etc.   

ozzie

Love the photos, Lenn...and yes, I remember all of those! Those cap guns and gliders were the best!
We also had the same balsa wood planes that came with propellers powered by a rubber band.

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on November 16, 2022, 11:46:37 AMReally? I thought most states did.

NJ doesn't, and I guess in the other states I have been in it hasn't come up
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 12:44:27 PMNJ doesn't, and I guess in the other states I have been in it hasn't come up

It it true that you cannot pump your own gas in NJ.?

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: ps11yat14 on November 16, 2022, 01:14:47 PMIt it true that you cannot pump your own gas in NJ.?

Bill

It's true; there is a rule that prevents self-service.  Well, there may be a slight majority who would favor lifting the rule there are nearly as many who would prefer not to have to get out of their car or have to pump their own gas.

Me, I have pumped gas and diesel to fill ambulances and a rescue true for over three decades, and I still pump gas on occasion at work since our vehicles are filled by a private pump.

It was sort of funny my first boss and mentor was a country boy from Alabama.  We had to go to PA on business and needed to stop for gas (the pump was on my side).   He was quite shocked that I had fuel pumping into the car before he could get around to my side.   He wasn't expecting a Jersey guy to know how to pump his own gas.  :smug:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 01:20:04 PMIt's true; there is a rule that prevents self-service.  Well, there may be a slight majority who would favor lifting the rule there are nearly as many who would prefer not to have to get out of their car or have to pump their own gas.

Me, I have pumped gas and diesel to fill ambulances and a rescue true for over three decades, and I still pump gas on occasion at work since our vehicles are filled by a private pump.

It was sort of funny my first boss and mentor was a country boy from Alabama.  We had to go to PA on business and needed to stop for gas (the pump was on my side).   He was quite shocked that I had fuel pumping into the car before he could get around to my side.   He wasn't expecting a Jersey guy to know how to pump his own gas.  :smug:

In the area I live there are at least 10 local gas stations and only 1 offers gas pumping service.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

LennG

NY has a 5-cent bottle and can return. The entire state has it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: ps11yat14 on November 16, 2022, 01:14:47 PMIt it true that you cannot pump your own gas in NJ.?

Bill

Yes, that's NJ for you.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: ps11yat14 on November 16, 2022, 02:41:25 PMIn the area I live there are at least 10 local gas stations and only 1 offers gas pumping service.

Bill

That is the argument those that don't want self-service makes.  They argue the elderly and the disabled would suffer because they wouldn't have access to pumping service
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 08:56:36 AMI wonder why tinsel went out of style
It didn't.  We have two cats and the name of one of them is named Tinsel (complaint department for this = my wife). LOL
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2022, 02:55:24 PMThat is the argument those that don't want self-service makes.  They argue the elderly and the disabled would suffer because they wouldn't have access to pumping service

In many gas stations in NY, they are self-service, but if you need service, like for the elderly, or handicapped, there is a button to press or just pull to a particular pump and you will get service. If CAN have it both ways if wanted.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

remembered a few more

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

I'm 48 and I do remember a lot of these things from my childhood. Great thread. Thanks for the contributions to it.

Fletch

You know what is strange to think about -- how it was always 5 cents . I do not remember when it started in NY but minimum since like the 90s . You would think they would have raised it, but there are still people who I think make a good part of their living from collecting cans.

It is just nasty to look at some people would go throgh for the 5 cents ....can't helop but wonder if some of the discarded bottles from a moving car were really meant for a street sweeper to clean up