News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you remember

Started by MightyGiants, November 15, 2022, 07:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: Fletch on December 25, 2022, 06:26:56 AMYou know what is strange to think about -- how it was always 5 cents . I do not remember when it started in NY but minimum since like the 90s . You would think they would have raised it, but there are still people who I think make a good part of their living from collecting cans.

It is just nasty to look at some people would go throgh for the 5 cents ....can't helop but wonder if some of the discarded bottles from a moving car were really meant for a street sweeper to clean up

From your posts, I know you are a lot younger than myself, so I remember when we didn't have cans to return, only glass bottles and I can remember, as a kid, we used to get 2 cents for returning them.
We had a little neighborhood grocer on our block in Brooklyn and we played all sorts of sports out on the street. After whatever game, we used to go into this store and buy Yoo-Hoos which the owner kept a supply for us, in the coldest part of the fridge. After we drank, we used to go back with the bottle for the 2-cent deposit and use it to get 2 Bazooka gums ( penny apiece). I don't know why, but this went on for years.
 W~hene ver I think of Yoo-Hoos I remember those days.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss