News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Re-watched the Giants vs Dallas game -

Started by sxdxca38, November 25, 2022, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giantleap56

I also saw Dak throw the ball all over the place yet his receivers managed to catch his inaccurate throws. Jones to me did well enough with whatever he is working with. Can't expect much when refs call back a TD toss and Oline is basically rebuilt. No wonder SB is having tough go at it over last two games. Also maybe the heavy carry game has something to do with it as well. Sometimes the injury factor is just to much to overcome. Still rebuilding not yet ready for big time. Just get into the playoffs and build off that.

Ed Vette

This is just one game out of 17 that Jones will be evaluated. He made some nice throws and some bad throws and I don't know if he missed other opportunities as I don't have the 22 Coaches film and the camera angles on this one weren't generous. But I may watch it again. This game Jones didn't step up and play well enough and he didn't come up big in big moments. This was his worst game this season. I don't blame the officiating, I look at the players who made mistakes and also didn't come up big. I also wonder why Wink didn't put Robinson on Lamb when he was embarrassing Holmes and his 30 PFF Coverage grade and McCloud wasn't any better. They needed Adoree and even then it's a challenge to keep up with Lamb. What about the Pass rush which was bad on the blitz and Thibs was the only one getting pressure. I already commented on Barkley.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 26, 2022, 09:09:27 AMI don't think the Dallas game was DJ's best game.  However, I think that DJ's regular critics have been overly harsh and lacking in fairness.   DJ was throwing against the number 1 pass defense in the NFL.  He was going against the number-one sack defense in the league.  He was doing so with 60% of his O-line being substitutes.  Plus his elite LT was so sick he was masked up when not playing.

In fairness, there were serious questions about Jones making it out of this game in one piece.

Yet, Jones came out of the game with pretty good stats, which would have looked even better had his nice TD pass not been called back on a BS illegal man downfield call.

As for the DJ to Barkley pass, I would put more of that on Barkly than Jones.  Jones could have thrown it a little better, but he was limited by the narrow throwing lane he needed to throw through (I have reviewed the play many times from multiple angles).   The reality is Barkley is not a natural catcher.  His ability as a receiver is more after the catch than making the catch.

So did Jones have a good game?  not really, BUT he did better than the conditions warranted

You always bring up stats, but stats don't tell the entire story of a game. A QB can come out of a game with great stats, numbers, ratings--whatever, but when a crucial play is needed, and the QB chokes, that isn't on the stat sheet, but all who saw it, know where the blame goes.
Go back to Eli, who never had great stats either, but then the game was on the line, or you needed a big play, Eli made it more than not, Sorry we can't say the same for Jones. 
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GloryDays

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 26, 2022, 10:45:34 AMHis QBR is telling us another story. It's year 4 we have to be done with the excuses and having a below 40 QBR in half our games is not good enough. His decision making isn't sound, and it's not getting better.
QB ratings do not really consider players' surrounding cast issues, do they?!
Jones has played better when he has had a decent running game and better receivers. Denying that is just wrong.
Some guys here remind me of Dathan's constant denial of Moses' abilities!

Rambo89

Quote from: GloryDays on November 26, 2022, 01:45:30 PMQB ratings do not really consider players' surrounding cast issues, do they?!
Jones has played better when he has had a decent running game and better receivers. Denying that is just wrong.

The argument I'm seeing here are that QB's are interchangeable and that the Giants focus should be on building the supporting cast and shouldn't invest as heavily into the QB position.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Blue Fire

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 26, 2022, 01:50:20 PMThe argument I'm seeing here are that QB's are interchangeable and that the Giants focus should be on building the supporting cast and shouldn't invest as heavily into the QB position.

QBs are absolutely NOT interchangeable. However some are at a certain level of a good enough assortment of key requisite traits that they can florish and be successful in an offense with a strong enough support system that is designed to maximize or come close to maximizing the QBs as well as skill players greatest strengths.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on November 26, 2022, 02:00:18 PMQBs are absolutely NOT interchangeable. However some are at a certain level of a good enough assortment of key requisite traits that they can florish and be successful in an offense with a strong enough support system that is designed to maximize or come close to maximizing the QBs as well as skill players greatest strengths.

If this is the case then I would think that a team just lacking a true #1 WR with a good run game, decent enough offensive line would be able to see a QB producing at a above average level if all they need is that true #1 WR to be elite.  Especially if that QB has 4 seasons under his belt.

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on November 26, 2022, 01:18:46 PMYou always bring up stats, but stats don't tell the entire story of a game. A QB can come out of a game with great stats, numbers, ratings--whatever, but when a crucial play is needed, and the QB chokes, that isn't on the stat sheet, but all who saw it, know where the blame goes.
Go back to Eli, who never had great stats either, but then the game was on the line, or you needed a big play, Eli made it more than not, Sorry we can't say the same for Jones. 
Not necessarily to Lenn but in fairness there were many times that Eli didn't come up big. I think it was about two or three years ago after a game where I said that the Giants will never win a SB with Daniel Jones. I hope he proves me wrong. Because it takes years to develop a QB even if they show they are of elite makeup.

There are very few Ben Roethlisberger stories who go to the Conference Championships in their first season and win a SB in their second year and he still didn't get any credit. The Steeler's went from 6-10 in 2003 to 15-1 in 2004. It took Eli four seasons. Herbert, Burrow, Allen and that group still have to win the big ones.

If they don't resign Jones or if they just sign him to a contract that allows them to wait until the right guy shows up, it may take years to even have a team that goes deep into the playoffs.

Jones can be successful and win games and get this team to the playoffs but he will need two excellent Receivers, a strong Offensive Line and a solid Defense. Just as most QB's will need. How deep they go will all depend on him. As much as I like Josh Allen, Buffalo went home last year disappointed.

Fans here want to have the right QB in place and not burn years only to find out he's not the guy. The Giants have burned 4 years with Jones of which three were not his fault. QB Hell is when you have a Kurt Cousins who shows moments of incredible play and then craps the bed when the season is on the line. Heap on top of that injury season out of injury season that decimates a team and there is very little room for error and one bad play can end a season or it can simply be the flip of a coin in Overtime.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 26, 2022, 02:21:20 PMJones can be successful and win games and get this team to the playoffs but he will need two excellent Receivers, a strong Offensive Line and a solid Defense. Just as most QB's will need. How deep they go will all depend on him. As much as I like Josh Allen, Buffalo went home last year disappointed.

If you're going to pay Jones adding two excellent receivers, upgrading the offensive line and keeping a good defense in tact is going to be near impossible with the salary cap.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 26, 2022, 02:24:45 PMIf you're going to pay Jones adding two excellent receivers, upgrading the offensive line and keeping a good defense in tact is going to be near impossible with the salary cap.
The Offensive Line is a Guard away. The Defense when Healthy needs an ILB, CB and Edge. They need an Elite WR from the draft and all these players can be picked up in the next 2 drafts. They let Barkley walk unfortunately. Sign Jones to a three year 100MM contract. It can certainly be done. If not, then Tyrod is the guy. I don't see a QB in this year's draft unless they lose every remaining game. Too many teams need a QB.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 26, 2022, 02:33:50 PMThe Offensive Line is a Guard away. The Defense when Healthy needs an ILB, CB and Edge. They need an Elite WR from the draft and all these players can be picked up in the next 2 drafts. They let Barkley walk unfortunately. Sign Jones to a three year 100MM contract. It can certainly be done. If not, then Tyrod is the guy. I don't see a QB in this year's draft unless they lose every remaining game. Too many teams need a QB.

If you're signing Jones for that much finding all of that is going to be extremely difficult on top of retaining players like Thomas, McKinney and Lawrence.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 26, 2022, 02:37:29 PMIf you're signing Jones for that much finding all of that is going to be extremely difficult on top of retaining players like Thomas, McKinney and Lawrence.
51mm under the cap in 23 with draft class and 202 under in 24. They can easily do this.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: GloryDays on November 26, 2022, 01:45:30 PMQB ratings do not really consider players' surrounding cast issues, do they?!
You just compared Daniel Jones abilities to Moses abilities, there's no room for your religion on a football forum where everyone has completely different beliefs. So please take that elsewhere as it is ridiculous that you would even bring it into the conversation.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 26, 2022, 03:36:21 PMYou just compared Daniel Jones abilities to Moses abilities, there's no room for your religion on a football forum where everyone has completely different beliefs. So please take that elsewhere as it is ridiculous that you would even bring it into the conversation.
It continues to be done cause their is no consequences for the stupidity so why stop doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

President Rick

Ed wrote:  " If they don't resign Jones or if they just sign him to a contract that allows them to wait until the right guy shows up, it may take years to even have a team that goes deep into the playoffs."

see Stroud today...lots of gaudy numbers but osu lost.  there's no one coming out I'd take in place of Jones at this point, esp. given his relationship with the team and knowledge of the pro game so far.  YES he has areas for improvement.  Don't we all???  Give him a middling OL and a couple starter-caliber WR's and Bellinger back and IMO he'd be top 15-18 at least and we'd win more games.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.