News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Re-watched the Giants vs Dallas game -

Started by sxdxca38, November 25, 2022, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 27, 2022, 06:00:03 PMSo they should bring Jones back until things are absolutely perfect for him?

I would need to know what the alternatives are. All I am saying is that he has little to work with compared to other systems.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Rambo89

Quote from: TDToomer on November 27, 2022, 09:42:04 PMI would need to know what the alternatives are. All I am saying is that he has little to work with compared to other systems.

That's up to this new regime to find.  What he has to work with and has had to work with all season isn't perfect but it also isn't as bad as it has been made out to be.  Outside of needing that true #1 WR there isn't a major need they have in that department.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 28, 2022, 08:53:44 AMThat's up to this new regime to find.  What he has to work with and has had to work with all season isn't perfect but it also isn't as bad as it has been made out to be.  Outside of needing that true #1 WR there isn't a major need they have in that department.
Rambo

That isn't an honest statement.

The WR core is as bad as it can get.  When Slay is the best of the rest and your #2 wasn't on an active roster for some time that is poor!

The OLINE has been a revolving door and there has been zero continuity except for the RG and LT

Again DJ has his warts but if we are calling balls and strikes we need to be honest and consistent.

Rodgers is Rodgers and look at his struggles with poor line and terrible WRs.  So the supporting cast around a QB ABSOLUTELY had an effect on the QBs play.  Put Rodgers on the Giants and play is elevated slightly but I don't see our record being any better, there isn't a loss we suffered that I think Rodgers turns into a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambo89

Slugs I believe Slayton is a good #2 receiver with Robinson as a good slot receiver.  Add in Bellinger as a TE and the only thing major you're missing is that #1 WR.  The offensive line is solid and yes can use some pieces but nothing major. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 28, 2022, 09:20:02 AMSlugs I believe Slayton is a good #2 receiver with Robinson as a good slot receiver.  Add in Bellinger as a TE and the only thing major you're missing is that #1 WR.  The offensive line is solid and yes can use some pieces but nothing major.
Yes Slay would be a solid #2

Robbinson could be a good slot if he is healthy enough to play and he wasn't this year and as he started coming on he got hurt again.

Bellinger was having a good year till he got hurt.

So these are 3 decent players that really have not played at all together as a trio.

The OLINE is not solid we can disagree there!  It's swish cheese, bubble gum, rubber bands and prayers holding it together.

Again- instated and will state again - Rodgers on this team doesn't change our record!  None of the top 5 teams changes this record by maybe more than 1 game if that!

The supporting cast matters!  Currently our O doesn't have enough talent available or on the team to win consistently.

We are living and dying by the D and a run game.

It's not all on DJ.  Some plays are, but not all on him.

Rambo89

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 28, 2022, 09:26:02 AMYes Slay would be a solid #2

Robbinson could be a good slot if he is healthy enough to play and he wasn't this year and as he started coming on he got hurt again.

Bellinger was having a good year till he got hurt.

So these are 3 decent players that really have not played at all together as a trio.

The OLINE is not solid we can disagree there!  It's swish cheese, bubble gum, rubber bands and prayers holding it together.

Again- instated and will state again - Rodgers on this team doesn't change our record!  None of the top 5 teams changes this record by maybe more than 1 game if that!

The supporting cast matters!  Currently our O doesn't have enough talent available or on the team to win consistently.

We are living and dying by the D and a run game.

It's not all on DJ.  Some plays are, but not all on him.

Again I am not saying the Giants don't need to add pieces.  What I said was the only major piece they need to add to the QB supporting cast is a #1 WR.  They don't need to add a Left Tackle, Right Tackle or multiple play making WR's.  Those are Major Pieces.  Adding Guards and RB / WR depth are not major pieces IMO.

Gman329

I'm not even sure Slay is a #2.  More like a #3. Robinson is a work in progress, who contributed little this year but there's hope for the future.  Outside of he an Slay, the rest of the WR group is practice squad level and needs to be upgraded. A "#1 receiver", without a supporting cast, can be limited.  You don't need superstars behind him but the floor has to be a hell of a lot higher than ours is right now. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 28, 2022, 09:32:25 AMAgain I am not saying the Giants don't need to add pieces.  What I said was the only major piece they need to add to the QB supporting cast is a #1 WR.  They don't need to add a Left Tackle, Right Tackle or multiple play making WR's.  Those are Major Pieces.  Adding Guards and RB / WR depth are not major pieces IMO.
I think DJ constantly getting pressure up the middle in his face would disagree that IOL isn't a major piece needed.

I'm not saying day 1 draft, but for the Giants it's as major of a need as WR1

QB on his back can't throw the ball no matter who the QB is

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on November 27, 2022, 06:00:03 PMSo they should bring Jones back until things are absolutely perfect for him?

You keep making this hyperbolic claim.   There is a world of difference between NFL caliber (which the Giants' WR or collective O-line are not) and "absolutely perfect."  Your claim is more or less a strawman fallacy where you are misrepresenting what is being said to make your point look like a reasonable alternative.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

Robinson will be back next year.  I make Slayton 50-50 to return, based on the fact that early in the season, the attitude of the coaching staff seemed to be "anybody but Slayton".  Outside of those two, the entire receiving group needs to be replaced. Not talking about superstars, just decent NFL caliber receivers.  That woud be a huge upgrade.   

Rambo89

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 28, 2022, 09:49:34 AMI think DJ constantly getting pressure up the middle in his face would disagree that IOL isn't a major piece needed.

I'm not saying day 1 draft, but for the Giants it's as major of a need as WR1

QB on his back can't throw the ball no matter who the QB is

I guess it's how I would define major piece versus how you do.  To me a major piece is something you are willing to spend significant value on (1st round draft pick, big money in FA, etc.).

True Blue

I agree that Slayton is a good #2, Robinson a good Slot/#3 and Bellinger has also looked good. Hodgins has played well and can be a good depth piece. If they can get a real #1, all they really need afterward is depth, Cager seems promising too but TE depth would certainly be welcomed.