News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Plax in prison

Started by ELCHALJE, November 29, 2022, 11:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Just my thought on guns.

I have never owned a gun and never will. I had a gun for 4 years while I was in the service but never had to fire it against anyone.

Just the way I see it, there are guns, and then THERE ARE GUNS. No one outside the police or militia should be allowed to own an assault weapon. If you want a gun, fine, go out and buy a Dirty Harry weapon for all I care. If you want to protect your home, fine, own a Glock, shotgun, or any normal gun. You want to hunt, make it fair and own a real hunting rifle. But NO ONE has the need to own an assault rifle.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

I'm going to delete any post that introduces politics from this point on. And anyone who responds to it.

Respect the fucking rules.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 30, 2022, 05:26:16 PMI'm going to delete any post that introduces politics from this point on. And anyone who responds to it.

Respect the fucking rules.
My bad, Ed. I started talking about voting and term limits.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: LennG on November 30, 2022, 05:15:53 PMJust my thought on guns.

I have never owned a gun and never will. I had a gun for 4 years while I was in the service but never had to fire it against anyone.

Just the way I see it, there are guns, and then THERE ARE GUNS. No one outside the police or militia should be allowed to own an assault weapon. If you want a gun, fine, go out and buy a Dirty Harry weapon for all I care. If you want to protect your home, fine, own a Glock, shotgun, or any normal gun. You want to hunt, make it fair and own a real hunting rifle. But NO ONE has the need to own an assault rifle.
Lenn

To give ya some info.  Then you can decide from there what you think......

There is no such thing as an assault weapon.  It's a made up term that has been politicized to scare people into believing that it is something it's not.

The type of firearm you are mentioning is probably a semi automatic rifle.

If you look at the picture attached the top rifle is a semi automatic in .223  very popular hunting and target shooting rifle.  This one is not one that the anti gun people go after and want banned. 

Yet...... The bottom rifle is also a semi auto rifle in .223.  That is a so called "assailant rifle" as the media and Government like to falsely claim.

The difference....... NOTHING!  Other then how it looks.

To add a semi automatic hand gun can hold as many rounds as some semi automatic rifle. 

So when they talk about assault rifles it's all just fear mongering to scare those that don't know the difference.

For the next question as why do you need 30 rounds or a large capacity magazine.

3 armed criminals kick in the front door of a single mother home at night with her kids.  As her son dialed 911 mom fought off the 3 attackers while waiting for the police to arrive.  If she only had a 6 shot Dirty Harry gun the 3 armed criminals would have overpowered her and or killed her and her kids!  Taken them and sold them into human trafficking.

Yes that is an extreme situation but the difference in 6 shots vs 30 could mean the difference between life or death.  If it's your daughter and grandchildren which option would you give them?

There are also reasons for hunting to have more then just a few shots but that goes into a different convo and scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T200

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on November 30, 2022, 05:56:33 PMNo more politics, Paul.
The conversation is fine I don't see the problem!  No one is bashing one party or another - isn't an overall great convo everyone's having!  Deleting the posts I don't think I right as for once we are having a great conversation amongst people sharing info!

Disagree with this completely

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 30, 2022, 07:28:55 AMYeah, I tend to agree.  I always thought the right to life trumped all other rights.

Innocent life, 100%.

DaveBrown74

I haven't had a chance to participate much in this conversation, but I have read through the thread, and my personal opinion is that this was an engaging and thoughtful discussion between members with varying viewpoints but I saw neither condescension nor disrespect in this thread. I thought it was interesting to hear people's points of views, and I thought people did a good job backing their views up with reasonable points (on both sides).

Obviously, this is a Giants board, so a 3-5 page discussion about the 2nd amendment and gun control may be out of place, but if a thread occasionally veers into a current events topic or even a controversial topic, if people behave the way they did in this thread I'm not sure I understand why that's a problem.

T200

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 30, 2022, 06:00:44 PMThe conversation is fine I don't see the problem!  No one is bashing one party or another - isn't an overall great convo everyone's having!  Deleting the posts I don't think I right as for once we are having a great conversation amongst people sharing info!

Disagree with this completely

We all need to abide by the rules. It's going fine but we know how it ends.

Let's keep it on the guns and laws.  :ok:

Sorry I had to delete what you took valuable time to post.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 30, 2022, 06:04:47 PMI haven't had a chance to participate much in this conversation, but I have read through the thread, and my personal opinion is that this was an engaging and thoughtful discussion between members with varying viewpoints but I saw neither condescension nor disrespect in this thread. I thought it was interesting to hear people's points of views, and I thought people did a good job backing their views up with reasonable points (on both sides).

Obviously, this is a Giants board, so a 3-5 page discussion about the 2nd amendment and gun control may be out of place, but if a thread occasionally veers into a current events topic or even a controversial topic, if people behave the way they did in this thread I'm not sure I understand why that's a problem.
We've been down this road before. A few of the moderators even fought to try it again. It went clean for a while. Alas, it failed yet again. It's inevitable.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on November 30, 2022, 06:20:28 PMWe all need to abide by the rules. It's going fine but we know how it ends.

Let's keep it on the guns and laws.  :ok:

Sorry I had to delete what you took valuable time to post.
T

It's intertwined as the laws are written by politicians.

And yea I know sooner or later someone may go off the rails, but till then I think was going well and should have been allowed to continue till we couldn't.

Just my 2 cents and I'll bow out now.

jimmyz

I can own a gun while someone else lives.  These are not mutually exclusive and the framing of that argument is invalid.  My right to own a gun does not infringe on the right to life.  And nowhere is it stated that one right trumps another.  If one is understanding the intent behind the Constitution it should be rather apparent that all the rights complement each other.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

jimmyz

Quote from: TONKA56 on November 30, 2022, 10:28:38 AM"Well-regulated in the 18th century tended to be something like well-organized, well-armed, well-disciplined," says Rakove. "It didn't mean 'regulation' in the sense that we use it now, in that it's not about the regulatory state. There's been nuance there. It means the militia was
 in an effective shape to fight."
In other words, it didn't mean the state was controlling the militia in a certain way, but rather that the militia was prepared to do its duty.

https://constitutioncenter.org/images/uploads/news/CNN_Aug_11.pdf

well maintained
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

TONKA56

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on November 30, 2022, 05:46:32 PMLenn

To give ya some info.  Then you can decide from there what you think......

There is no such thing as an assault weapon.  It's a made up term that has been politicized to scare people into believing that it is something it's not.

The type of firearm you are mentioning is probably a semi automatic rifle.

If you look at the picture attached the top rifle is a semi automatic in .223  very popular hunting and target shooting rifle.  This one is not one that the anti gun people go after and want banned. 

Yet...... The bottom rifle is also a semi auto rifle in .223.  That is a so called "assailant rifle" as the media and Government like to falsely claim.

The difference....... NOTHING!  Other then how it looks.

To add a semi automatic hand gun can hold as many rounds as some semi automatic rifle. 

So when they talk about assault rifles it's all just fear mongering to scare those that don't know the difference.

For the next question as why do you need 30 rounds or a large capacity magazine.

3 armed criminals kick in the front door of a single mother home at night with her kids.  As her son dialed 911 mom fought off the 3 attackers while waiting for the police to arrive.  If she only had a 6 shot Dirty Harry gun the 3 armed criminals would have overpowered her and or killed her and her kids!  Taken them and sold them into human trafficking.

Yes that is an extreme situation but the difference in 6 shots vs 30 could mean the difference between life or death.  If it's your daughter and grandchildren which option would you give them?

There are also reasons for hunting to have more then just a few shots but that goes into a different convo and scenario.

The first so-called "assault rifle" was the German Sturmgewehr 44. It's introduction in the latter years of World War 2 marked a turning point in military armament as the battle rifle was gradually phased out over the next twenty years.

The battle rifle such as the M1 Garand and later the M-14 fired full powered cartridges such as the 7.62x63 (.30-06) and later the 7.62x51 (.308). These cartridges were heavy and more encumbering for soldiers to carry in quantity. Also most firefights occurred at ranges under 300 meters, so the longer range of the full powered rifle was unnecessary. Also as select fire capability (semi-auto as well as fully automatic mode by way of a control switch) was introduced to rifles, the intermediate power cartridges such as the 7.62x39 and later the 5.56x45 NATO provided greater controllability.

The modern AR platform rifle is not an assault rifle as it lacks the capability of fully automatic fire. It is a civilian semi automatic rifle. The 5.56 NATO round us essentially a .22 caliber cartridge with enough powder capacity to be effective out to 500 meters. It is an excellent rifle for varmints or for shooters of small stature who don't like recoil.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: TONKA56 on November 30, 2022, 07:03:32 PMThe first so-called "assault rifle" was the German Sturmgewehr 44. It's introduction in the latter years of World War 2 marked a turning point in military armament as the battle rifle was gradually phased out over the next twenty years.

The battle rifle such as the M1 Garand and later the M-14 fired full powered cartridges such as the 7.62x63 (.30-06) and later the 7.62x51 (.308). These cartridges were heavy and more encumbering for soldiers to carry in quantity. Also most firefights occurred at ranges under 300 meters, so the longer range of the full powered rifle was unnecessary. Also as select fire capability (semi-auto as well as fully automatic mode by way of a control switch) was introduced to rifles, the intermediate power cartridges such as the 7.62x39 and later the 5.56x45 NATO provided greater controllability.

The modern AR platform rifle is not an assault rifle as it lacks the capability of fully automatic fire. It is a civilian semi automatic rifle. The 5.56 NATO round us essentially a .22 caliber cartridge with enough powder capacity to be effective out to 500 meters. It is an excellent rifle for varmints or for shooters of small stature who don't like recoil.
Well explained!!!

"SOME PEOPLE" will tell you the top picture is a hunting rifle and the bottom rifle is the evil people killing assault rifle.

To help educate all........

They are both the SAME RIFLE!!!!!  Only difference is how they look.  This is the lack of information they try and spread to fear monger and get the general public that doesn't know about firearms to be scared.

And the AR does NOT stand for Assault Rifle or automatic rifle as SOME PEOPLE would lead you to believe, it stands for ArmaLite Rifle.

For the next question as why do you need 30 rounds or a large capacity magazine think about this scenario..........

3 armed criminals kick in the front door of the home of a single single mother home at night with her kids.

As her son dials 911 mom retrieves her rifle and fought off the 3 attackers while waiting for the police to arrive. If she only had a 6 shot "Dirty Harry" gun the 3 armed criminals would have overpowered her and or killed her and her kids! Could have taken them and sold them into human trafficking.

Yes that is an extreme situation but the difference in 6 shots vs 30 could mean the difference between life or death. If it's your daughter and grandchildren or wife and kids, which option would you give them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pop