News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Giants defense gave up 253 rushing yards on 8.2 ypc -

Started by sxdxca38, December 11, 2022, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

The loss of McKinney has really hurt them in this department.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

jgrangers2

Quote from: AP44 on December 12, 2022, 06:31:24 AMWatch how many times Love gets washed out during run plays. He is a good open field tackler but when he gets in the mix - he easily gets pushed out and takes a lot of bad angles.

This is a guy I would not pay. He doesn't make enough plays.

If we're relying on our 5-11, 195 pound safety to be a major piece in the run game that's hugely problematic. This team badly needs inside linebackers that can shed blocks and clog holes.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: AP44 on December 12, 2022, 06:31:24 AMWatch how many times Love gets washed out during run plays. He is a good open field tackler but when he gets in the mix - he easily gets pushed out and takes a lot of bad angles.

This is a guy I would not pay. He doesn't make enough plays.

AP sorry but you are off base!

Love is having a great season!  You need to look at his stat line and how much he plays and where!  He is a Swiss Army knife for Wink!

Is he an all pro?  NO!!! But he is that player that you need and want to build a championship team with!  You can't have 53 pro bowl, 1st team all pros on a team!  You need some road grating hard fighting lunch pail guys and that is Love.

uconnjack8

Ojulari couldn't get off the blocks of a RB, a small one at that, yesterday.  I don't think he will do well lined up directly over a tackle in the run game.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 12, 2022, 08:46:16 AMAP sorry but you are off base!

Love is having a great season!  You need to look at his stat line and how much he plays and where!  He is a Swiss Army knife for Wink!

Is he an all pro?  NO!!! But he is that player that you need and want to build a championship team with!  You can't have 53 pro bowl, 1st team all pros on a team!  You need some road grating hard fighting lunch pail guys and that is Love.
He's a bandaid for a weak roster plagued by injuries. I agree with Dale, he's a good open field tackler trailing a Defender but he does get washed out a lot and yesterday he took a bad angle and should have crushed DS for what resulted in a walk-in TD. Some team is going to pay him ridiculous money.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 12, 2022, 08:57:28 AMOjulari couldn't get off the blocks of a RB, a small one at that, yesterday.  I don't think he will do well lined up directly over a tackle in the run game.
Worth repeating.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Ouch  :hurt: ,  even having Leonard Williams back wouldn't make up for that many yards
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 12, 2022, 09:00:33 AMHe's a bandaid for a weak roster plagued by injuries. I agree with Dale, he's a good open field tackler trailing a Defender but he does get washed out a lot and yesterday he took a bad angle and should have crushed DS for what resulted in a walk-in TD. Some team is going to pay him ridiculous money.

I'm not fire paying him ridiculously!!!!!

If some team does god bless him and JS should let him walk!  For a fair deal though I think he should be resigned.

AP44

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 12, 2022, 08:46:16 AMAP sorry but you are off base!

He is going to command anywhere between 9-12 million per year. He is really not a difference maker. He is a solid player but he has really been exposed with McKinney. One sack and 2 INTs (one off a tipped pass) is easily replaceable. And he misses more tackles than people realized.

You dont overpay for these guys. Let someone else give him a contract and try to get a comp pick back.

Bob In PA

None of the explanations above explains their relative success in the beginning half of the season.

All of you present good thoughts, but IMO it's much simpler.

Giants began with a roster that lacked depth -AND THEN- incurred too many injuries to starting-caliber players.

Even absent the injuries, they were only a marginally solid at best (as a unit).

Throw in all the injuries to key men (like L. Williams yesterday) and you've got in big trouble.

Bob

PS. Also, the Eagles' OL is probably the best in the league.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Rambo89

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 12, 2022, 09:25:07 AMNone of the explanations above explains their relative success in the beginning half of the season.

Giants began with a roster that lacked depth -AND THEN- incurred too many injuries to starting-caliber players.

Even absent the injuries, they were only a marginally solid at best (as a unit).

Throw in all the injuries to key men (like L. Williams yesterday) and you've got in big trouble.

Bob

The short version of where we are at
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

killarich

This is why I think Crowder should be given his role back

Yea i know he was terrible in pass coverage ...but ALL our linebackers have been terrible

Crowder was decent in the run game .... He was even able to get in the backfield at times....

Idk... our lb crew is terrible ... I think Smith and Crowder were the best combo there...as bad as that sounds

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 12, 2022, 09:25:07 AMNone of the explanations above explains their relative success in the beginning half of the season.

Bob

The loss of Jackson a shut down corner and McKinney which enabled them the luxury of man coverage and another defender in the box helped but they have been lousy against the run all season because of the ILB's and the fact that Thibs and Ojulari get washed out and can't support the B and C Gaps and have been exposed on the edge most of the season. Ward has been the best run supporter. Yet some here would place them at DE in a 4/3. There's a reason they are OLB's. No sand in the pants. They can't hold Strahan and Tuck's jock strap. Let's hope they can at least figure out how to sack a QB.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on December 12, 2022, 09:41:27 AMWhat's the word on Landon Collins?

great question. How can he not contribute over these undrafted PS players that get elevated to the 53 each week and go straight into the defensive rotation?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs