News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Giants defense gave up 253 rushing yards on 8.2 ypc -

Started by sxdxca38, December 11, 2022, 08:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on December 12, 2022, 09:41:27 AMWhat's the word on Landon Collins?

He can't make it back to the 53 and no one has signed him off our PS.  Could be telling IDK

Trench

One thing concerns me is early in season our interior run defense was excellent...very few 8 yard runs on 1st down....past several weeks it has completely unraveled....I think Schoen could have looked into signing Joseph and Suh....look how they have bolstered Philly.

T200

Quote from: Trench on December 12, 2022, 10:42:37 AMOne thing concerns me is early in season our interior run defense was excellent...very few 8 yard runs on 1st down....past several weeks it has completely unraveled....I think Schoen could have looked into signing Joseph and Suh....look how they have bolstered Philly.
Those guys would not have come here. At the twilight of their careers, they're looking for hardware and not part of a rebuild.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Trench on December 12, 2022, 10:42:37 AMOne thing concerns me is early in season our interior run defense was excellent...very few 8 yard runs on 1st down....past several weeks it has completely unraveled....I think Schoen could have looked into signing Joseph and Suh....look how they have bolstered Philly.

Idk what their deals were but we are razor thin on cap.

Remember Trench JS doesn't have to win this year or get to the playoffs

Everyone got all juiced up on a 7-1 record that was inflated.

Had we been 4-4 would we have thought that was a must? 

I have been saying all along we can't look at making the playoffs as success.  This season is more than that.

JS needed to focus on clearing cap and giving the team a chance long term.

Phili is in win now mode.  We aren't and shouldn't be trying to.

T200

Quote from: TDToomer on December 12, 2022, 10:17:55 AMgreat question. How can he not contribute over these undrafted PS players that get elevated to the 53 each week and go straight into the defensive rotation?

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on December 12, 2022, 10:20:31 AMHe can't make it back to the 53 and no one has signed him off our PS.  Could be telling IDK

Yeah because the word was that he'd be more helping in run defense.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on December 12, 2022, 10:48:32 AMYeah because the word was that he'd be more helping in run defense.

I thought he would!

Not sure what happened!  They haven't released him either. 🤷🏻�♂️

Gman329

We are still missing Blake Martinez.  He was the run stuffer we have not replaced. 

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Gman329 on December 12, 2022, 10:51:51 AMWe are still missing Blake Martinez.  He was the run stuffer we have not replaced. 

That is definitely an injury we still haven't recovered from and neither has he since he hung it up and retired.  Sucks!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 12, 2022, 09:43:26 AMThe loss of Jackson a shut down corner and McKinney which enabled them the luxury of man coverage and another defender in the box helped but they have been lousy against the run all season because of the ILB's and the fact that Thibs and Ojulari get washed out and can't support the B and C Gaps and have been exposed on the edge most of the season. Ward has been the best run supporter. Yet some here would place them at DE in a 4/3. There's a reason they are OLB's. No sand in the pants. They can't hold Strahan and Tuck's jock strap. Let's hope they can at least figure out how to sack a QB.
Ed: More good points. It's a team project, so loss of anyone weakens everyone. 

I don't know if the comparison to Strahan is apt.  True, he finished his career at around 250-260, but he mostly was a 280-something DE, so his ability to hold the edge was aided by about 30 extra pounds.

This is the quandary (in a nutshell) that all defensive coordinators face in deciding between 3-4 and 4-3. I like 4-3 but 3-4 allows for extra deception & can help address overall lack of team speed on defense (from which the Giants still suffer... THAT WILL be fixed by next year, I can almost guarantee it).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

As I was watching the game the past couple of weeks, I was wondering the exact same thing about Collins. Where the hell is he? If he is that bad that he can't replace some guys who should be bagging groceries, then why is he still here?
I thought when he was resigned, that he would help against the run as a hybrid LB/Safety and he cannot make a roster? Again, then why is he here?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

GordonGekko80

This stat probably demonstrates why we were slaughtered yesterday.

There is no clear tendency related to mobile quarterbacks tho, because Jackson was contained well when he played us.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Gman329 on December 12, 2022, 10:51:51 AMWe are still missing Blake Martinez.  He was the run stuffer we have not replaced. 

I think we are still missing Antonio Pierce. 

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 12, 2022, 09:25:07 AMNone of the explanations above explains their relative success in the beginning half of the season.

All of you present good thoughts, but IMO it's much simpler.

Giants began with a roster that lacked depth -AND THEN- incurred too many injuries to starting-caliber players.

Even absent the injuries, they were only a marginally solid at best (as a unit).

Throw in all the injuries to key men (like L. Williams yesterday) and you've got in big trouble.

Bob

PS. Also, the Eagles' OL is probably the best in the league.

Bob,

The Giants weren't playing the NFL's best offenses at the beginning of the season; even the good teams they beat (e.g. Ten/Balt) have weaker offenses.  When they play élite offenses (e.g. Dall x2 and Phili) they got beat fairly bad.  If the schedule was flipped, I don't think you would be asking this question...

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 12, 2022, 11:12:41 AMI don't know if the comparison to Strahan is apt.  True, he finished his career at around 250-260, but he mostly was a 280-something DE, so his ability to hold the edge was aided by about 30 extra pounds.

Bob

That was my point. These guys are too small to play DE in a 4/3
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

The Defense still gave up 137 yards a game rushing in the 8 games before the Bye. They were never a good Run Defense this season. Just worse now because of the loss of some key players but the fact remains they need to get two stud ILB's and teach these Edges to at least be aware of where the play is going. We may never get a Reasons, Carson, Banks and LT but they need to address the problem in the off season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin