News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

@DaveBrown74 I think the "well, we should bring him back if the price is the right ship has sailed."    Daniel Jones put the team on his back and advanced his team to the next round.  That is exactly what a franchise QB is supposed to do, and now the team is going to have to pay for their franchise QB.

Consider some of these quotes from the NY Post article.

Quote"He walked in and people were chanting, 'DJ' when he walked in," Leonard Williams said. "He's like a hero in here right now. You could just see the confidence spewing out of him right now. I think we wouldn't want anyone else to lead us right now."

QuoteJohn Mara was stopped in the middle of this joyous Giants locker room and marveled at the way his franchise quarterback performed.

"To me, it was the poise," Mara said. "That building is as loud as can be, and you look at him, and he's in complete control of the offense. It gave me a lot of confidence that I don't care how many times they score, we're gonna score more."

I asked Mara when it became a finality to him that Daniel Jones would be his Quarterback of the Future.

"It was a while ago I think ... he just keeps getting better and better every week," Mara said.

Mara laughed when it was suggested that he got the succession plan for Eli right (yes, with former GM Dave Gettleman's help) and said: "Hey I can't screw up everything, I gotta get something right."

QuoteKid brother Chris Mara: "We got somebody going forward."

Asked what he thought of his quarterback, Steve Tisch smiled and said: "The world."

A fighter. A battlefield commander.

"I know we have an elite quarterback," Saquon Barkley said, "but we also got amazing players around him, too, so we got his back no matter what."

https://nypost.com/2023/01/16/daniel-jones-proves-himself-to-be-qb-giants-dreamed-of/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 16, 2023, 07:19:51 AMAs I said last night best game of his career last night.  He was absolutely outstanding. 

Play your best in the biggest game  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 16, 2023, 07:26:52 AMI think after the Colts game, where DJ was outstanding, most of us were asking "can DJ play better than this?"

Well, the answer's been served to us on a silver platter; YES.

Jones was always capable and had put together really good games.  The issue was there would only be 3-4 of them max each season.  He just needed to bring those games more consistently.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 16, 2023, 07:26:58 AM@DaveBrown74 I think the "well, we should bring him back if the price is the right ship has sailed."    Daniel Jones put the team on his back and advanced his team to the next round.  That is exactly what a franchise QB is supposed to do, and now the team is going to have to pay for their franchise QB.

Consider some of these quotes from the NY Post article.

https://nypost.com/2023/01/16/daniel-jones-proves-himself-to-be-qb-giants-dreamed-of/

Two years ago Josh Allen signed a 6 year $258mm ($43mm/yr) contract with a $150mm guarantee. Since the numbers go up each year, if we are price-insensitive, that could easily be the number with Jones, maybe more. Would you be good with spending that type of money on him given he has only really played at this high of a level for several games and has only had one season out of four where he has not had a significant injury? Keep in mind, barring cap acrobatics that would wipe out most of our available cap space for next season and we do have plenty of other needs.

Personally, I think if we give him that type of contract, we're going to need to think long and hard about cutting Williams. Or possibly having a rethink about Barkley. I know nobody wants to think about these types of decisions, but something will have to give somewhere. To let either Thomas or Lawrence walk next year would be a travesty.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 07:54:59 AMTwo years ago Josh Allen signed a 6 year $258mm ($43mm/yr) contract with a $150mm guarantee. Since the numbers go up each year, if we are price-insensitive, that could easily be the number with Jones, maybe more. Would you be good with spending that type of money on him given he has only really played at this high of a level for several games and has only had one season out of four where he has not had a significant injury? Keep in mind, barring cap acrobatics that would wipe out most of our available cap space for next season and we do have plenty of other needs.

Personally, I think if we give him that type of contract, we're going to need to think long and hard about cutting Williams. Or possibly having a rethink about Barkley. I know nobody wants to think about these types of decisions, but something will have to give somewhere. To let either Thomas or Lawrence walk next year would be a travesty.

The Giants could have given DJ the 5th year option, but they didn't.  They could have signed him at the bye, but they didn't.  Now the team has to pay market value for a franchise QB, and they are not cheap.  The one leverage they have left is the franchise tag that went from looking kind of expensive earlier in the year to now looking like a bargain. 

We often talk about how it's easier to build a team if they hit on a drafted rookie QB and use the savings to build.  Well, the reality is the team simply has to hit on the draft with TWO of the premium-priced positions like CB, WR, OT, and Edge to create the savings to keep on competing.  I don't see how this team lets DJ walk, and I don't think the Giants want the disadvantages of just tagging their "leader."

The Giants will sign Jones and likely keep Barkley, and they will be shopping for bargains in free agency.  The talent influx will mostly be from the 11 picks in the draft.   That is not a bad way to build a team, in my opinion.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 16, 2023, 08:05:51 AMThe Giants could have given DJ the 5th year option, but they didn't.  They could have signed him at the bye, but they didn't.  Now the team has to pay market value for a franchise QB, and they are not cheap.  The one leverage they have left is the franchise tag that went from looking kind of expensive earlier in the year to now looking like a bargain. 

We often talk about how it's easier to build a team if they hit on a drafted rookie QB and use the savings to build.  Well, the reality is the team simply has to hit on the draft with TWO of the premium-priced positions like CB, WR, OT, and Edge to create the savings to keep on competing.  I don't see how this team lets DJ walk, and I don't think the Giants want the disadvantages of just tagging their "leader."

The Giants will sign Jones and likely keep Barkley, and they will be shopping for bargains in free agency.  The talent influx will mostly be from the 11 picks in the draft.   That is not a bad way to build a team, in my opinion.

No, and that is the way Schoen has said he wants to build the team.

It will be interesting to see where they land with Jones. I think using the tag makes more sense with a player you're still not sure about, as it gives you the optionality to move on after one more year. You can also tag a player a second time (albeit it's more expensive). Given the way RBs age out after 27/28 typically, tagging Barkley might make more sense than tagging Jones. Sure, tagging Jones saves you a little bit of money in 2023, but it doesn't save you in the long run unless you think there is a viable chance you are going to let him walk after 2023. I would think they lock him up this year at whatever price they can. It will just be interesting if they decide to throw Josh Allen type money at him (or more). As good as he has been in the last 3-4 weeks, I wouldn't say he had an elite year.

Clearly each week he plays well in this Dec/Jan stretch though he helps himself financially, which is perfectly fair.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 08:13:19 AMNo, and that is the way Schoen has said he wants to build the team.

It will be interesting to see where they land with Jones. I think using the tag makes more sense with a player you're still not sure about, as it gives you the optionality to move on after one more year. You can also tag a player a second time (albeit it's more expensive). Given the way RBs age out after 27/28 typically, tagging Barkley might make more sense than tagging Jones. Sure, tagging Jones saves you a little bit of money in 2023, but it doesn't save you in the long run unless you think there is a viable chance you are going to let him walk after 2023. I would think they lock him up this year at whatever price they can. It will just be interesting if they decide to throw Josh Allen type money at him (or more). As good as he has been in the last 3-4 weeks, I wouldn't say he had an elite year.

Clearly each week he plays well in this Dec/Jan stretch though he helps himself financially, which is perfectly fair.

DB,

If I were the GM, I don't think I would want to tag Barkley.  Frankly, in my opinion, tagging Barkley is basically screwing him over.   Barkley played out the 5th year option, and this offseason is likely to be his only one where he can cash in.   The Giants tag him, and it will be much harder to get a good contract the following year due to his age.  I think the fairest thing to do with Barkley is to have Schoen make his best offer and if it's not enough for Barkley, let him walk so he can make his money.   Finding RBs in the draft is much easier than finding a QB, so resource allocation needs to take that into consideration.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Again, Jones is our leader and face of the franchise. The very first thing he said to the TEAM after the game was "let's come back ready to work".....this indicates to me he is more likely to take the Tom Brady approach and not break the bank and allow the $$ to be spread around. I believe this to be his character. His character is the one thing everyone agreed upon from day one and I don't see that changing now.

He will be extremely unselfish and team friendly within the scope of his negotiations. Guaranteed.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 08:13:19 AMNo, and that is the way Schoen has said he wants to build the team.

I think it'll be fair negotiating with Jones having had 1 good season out of 4 with the injury history and knowing that daboll/kafka pair is a huge part of it, I would think him and Barkley both take less to stay in help build the team up to compete long term.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Trench on January 16, 2023, 10:12:08 AMAgain, Jones is our leader and face of the franchise. The very first thing he said to the TEAM after the game was "let's come back ready to work".....this indicates to me he is more likely to take the Tom Brady approach and not break the bank and allow the $$ to be spread around. I believe this to be his character. His character is the one thing everyone agreed upon from day one and I don't see that changing now.

He will be extremely unselfish and team friendly within the scope of his negotiations. Guaranteed.

Did you hear what he said in the post game on field interview?

"We're just a tough group, tough competitive like we've been all year. We're gonna compete for 60 minutes and play good, smart football, just to give ourselves a chance. We're confident in what we've got and we'll keep working."

"Now you're gonna go to Philly, what's it gonna take?"

"Another clean game. We'll prepare this week, have a good week of prep, and go out there and expect to play well".

This is a guy that just tries to do the simple stuff right, including staying humble.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 16, 2023, 10:24:37 AMI think it'll be fair negotiating with Jones having had 1 good season out of 4 with the injury history and knowing that daboll/kafka pair is a huge part of it, I would think him and Barkley both take less to stay in help build the team up to compete long term.
He really broke out last 5 games this season. Very encouraging.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

President Rick

love the photo with DJ and the Defense!!!!!  It says a lot about TEAM.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 16, 2023, 11:37:30 AMHe really broke out last 5 games this season. Very encouraging.
I agree completely.