News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

ALL DANIEL JONES POSTS AND DISCUSSIONS HERE

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2022, 03:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 16, 2023, 11:37:30 AMHe really broke out last 5 games this season. Very encouraging.

Ed, do you account for the opponent?  I think it's fair to note his only 300+ yard passing games was against the NFLs 31st ranked passing def.  For context, this team had allowed 9x 300 yard passers, including K. Murray and M. White.  The other game was against the NFLs second worst team.  None of this is meant to detract from DJs wonderful performances; however, I don't believe the last 5 weeks is an indication DJ should get the same contract as Allen, Mahomes, etc.  I believe the Giants will look at his season in the aggregate; this includes if he throws 4 picks against Phili.  The latter shouldn't reduce his contract offer as yesterday's performance shouldn't increase it.

Rich brought up some GREAT points against the franchise tag; however, I firmly believe this is the best COA moving forward.

On an unrelated note, is anyone concerned about the type of offense DJ runs?  The Giants run their QB...A LOT; DJs a tough SOB, but I don't like the increased percentages of him being injured.

To be clear, DJ was amazing yesterday and I couldn't be happier for him and his family!  Despite his play, I don't envy the Giants and the decision they have to make. 

GordonGekko80

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 16, 2023, 11:37:30 AMHe really broke out last 5 games this season. Very encouraging.

Reminds me a lot of Eli. He would turn it up when it was counting the most.

sxdxca38

Here were DJ's numbers from last night.

24/35 301 Yards    2 TD 0 Int 81.2 QBR 114.1 Rating

78 Yards rushing

He did this in a playoff game, on the road in a hostile environment, and wasn't fazed one bit.

We need to remember, Eli was 27 years old in his 4th year, DJ is only 25 in his 4th year, he's two years younger.

Shannon Sharpe called DJ just a few weeks ago a "JAG", clearly, he was wrong.

Nick Wright said DJ wasn't good, clearly, he was wrong.

Dan Orlovsky said DJ wasn't a good QB, now he is saying he is a problem solver, clearly, he was wrong.

DJ is blossoming right before our eyes, and he is doing it in the NY Media market which has vilified him these past four years.

Congrats to DJ

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on January 16, 2023, 02:42:09 PMEd, do you account for the opponent?  I think it's fair to note his only 300+ yard passing games was against the NFLs 31st ranked passing def.  For context, this team had allowed 9x 300 yard passers, including K. Murray and M. White.  The other game was against the NFLs second worst team.  None of this is meant to detract from DJs wonderful performances; however, I don't believe the last 5 weeks is an indication DJ should get the same contract as Allen, Mahomes, etc.  I believe the Giants will look at his season the aggregate; this includes if he throws 4 picks against Phili.

Rich brought up some GREAT points against the franchise tag; however, I firmly believe this is the best COA moving forward.

On an unrelated note, is anyone concerned about the type offense DJ runs?  The Giants run their QB...A LOT; DJs a tough SOB, but I don't like the the increased percentages of him being injured.

To be clear, DJ was amazing yesterday and I couldn't be happier for him and his family!  Despite his play, I don't envy the Giants and the decision they have to make. 

For the last 5 games he's been playing at a high level. Including Philly and Washington. They took what the Defense was giving them. You have to count his rushing totals which account for not just yardage but first downs. You have to account for protecting the ball and minimizing turnovers. His leadership in the huddle and the locker room.

I'm well aware of the competition and I'm well aware of the 185 yards after catch but DJ did hit them in stride and produced almost 400 yards of Offense. He beat Rodgers, Cousins, Lawrence and Jackson. That's some pretty good company. He's playing at the level of a 6-10 QB.

The Offensive Line gave him that extra second he needs to process the routes and he made good decisions.

The Franchise Tag is the bar here. They know what he can and can't do and he has an adequate supporting staff around him in talent. Nothing great. He doesn't have the Philly Oline or Philly- Dallas' Receivers. I would sign him to a three year deal for 90MM and 60MM guaranteed. Face the facts, he's improved exponentially over the course of this season.

Now some smart DC will figure out that they need to cover the 0-10 yard area and figure out this Offense but he's still going to win 9-10 games a season. He's a better regular season QB than Eli was and if they can get into the playoffs they have a chance.

He has a ceiling and we've discussed it to death. There isn't a QB in this draft that will be an upgrade over him and I don't think that I want Jackson, Jimmy G or Derek Carr over him. There are 4-5 QB's in this league who are better than him right now and they will get the $50MM a year. As long as Brian Daboll is his HC, he's going to be a productive QB. The time to nit pick Daniel Jones has past. At least for this year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

I take that back, Nick Wright has decided to double down on his position that DJ is still not a good QB.

He then proceeds to say he only threw 15 TDs on the year, and completely dismisses the 7 rushing TD's he brought to the table.

You can see the clip here, if you go to the 3:10 time stamp

Nick Wright clip

GMenRF

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2023, 07:54:59 AMTwo years ago Josh Allen signed a 6 year $258mm ($43mm/yr) contract with a $150mm guarantee. Since the numbers go up each year, if we are price-insensitive, that could easily be the number with Jones, maybe more. Would you be good with spending that type of money on him given he has only really played at this high of a level for several games and has only had one season out of four where he has not had a significant injury? Keep in mind, barring cap acrobatics that would wipe out most of our available cap space for next season and we do have plenty of other needs.

Personally, I think if we give him that type of contract, we're going to need to think long and hard about cutting Williams. Or possibly having a rethink about Barkley. I know nobody wants to think about these types of decisions, but something will have to give somewhere. To let either Thomas or Lawrence walk next year would be a travesty.

IF we retain DJ and Saquon which is most likely going to eat up 50M annually, looking forward to 2024, we have about 179.8 M in cap space.  We should have about 125M in cap space leftover taking into consideration what they are going to eat up in the cap which is not too bad really.

I would put a base salary for DJ of 30M with incentives in the contract that if meets annually, can hit up to around 40M which is now the avg. salary for the upper tier of QBs.

GMenRF

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 16, 2023, 10:24:37 AMI think it'll be fair negotiating with Jones having had 1 good season out of 4 with the injury history and knowing that daboll/kafka pair is a huge part of it, I would think him and Barkley both take less to stay in help build the team up to compete long term.
I'm thinking this as well.  Those 2 are practically the face of this franchise.

GMenRF

Quote from: sxdxca38 on January 16, 2023, 05:18:26 PMI take that back, Nick Wright has decided to double down on his position that DJ is still not a good QB.

He then proceeds to say he only threw 15 TDs on the year, and completely dismisses the 7 rushing TD's he brought to the table.

You can see the clip here, if you go to the 3:10 time stamp

Nick Wright clip

That's the problem, people actually listen to this clown and believes he makes a fair assessment.

This clown is the same guy who argued that Lawrence rookie year doesn't count because of who was his head coach last year and should be given rookie of the year this year.

Who has been coaching DJ the past 2 years before Daboll/Kafka got here that actually made him regressed instead of develop as a young player.

TDToomer

Quote from: GMenRF on January 16, 2023, 05:31:41 PMThat's the problem, people actually listen to this clown and believes he makes a fair assessment.

This clown is the same guy who argued that Lawrence rookie year doesn't count because of who was his head coach last year and should be given rookie of the year this year.

Who has been coaching DJ the past 2 years before Daboll/Kafka got here that actually made him regressed instead of develop as a young player.

Exactly. Who the hell is Nick Wright and why should we care about his opinion? I have never heard of him.

Kurt Warner said the Giants should lose by 14 points on the NFL Network pregame coverage yesterday. I await his apology.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GMenRF

Quote from: TDToomer on January 16, 2023, 06:24:27 PMExactly. Who the hell is Nick Wright and why should we care about his opinion? I have never heard of him.

Kurt Warner said the Giants should lose by 14 points on the NFL Network pregame coverage yesterday. I await his apology.
Kurt is just bitter he had to give way to Eli  =))

DaveBrown74