News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does Defense Still Win Championships?

Started by Jclayton92, December 31, 2022, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Does Defense still Win Championships?

Projected Playoff teams:

AFC
1. Buffalo Bills 7th/Y 2nd/P
2. Kansas City Chiefs 15th/Y 15th/P
3. Cincinnati Bengals 13th/Y 9th/P
4. Jacksonville Jaguars 26th/Y 16th/P
5. Los Angeles Chargers 19th/Y 22nd/P
6. Baltimore Ravens 10th/Y 3rd/P
7. Miami Dolphins 21st/Y 27th/P

NFC
1. Philadelphia Eagles 2nd/Y 10th/P
2. San Francisco 49ers 1st/Y 1st/P
3. Minnesota Vikings 31st/Y 28/P
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6th/Y 8th/P
5. Dallas Cowboys 14th/Y 6th/P
6. New York Giants 27th/Y 20th/P
7. Green Bay Packers 17th/Y 18th/P

Y= Yards per Game rank
P= Points per Game rank

*Only 4 of the top 10 defenses in yards per game will make the playoffs.

** With only 5 of the top 10 defenses in points per game making the playoffs 

***8 of the 14 teams are 15th or worse in one of those categories.

Half of the top 10 defenses in the league aren't even competing for the playoffs.

Are rule changes affecting defenses so much that you don't need an elite defense to win now?

Are teams taking a more balanced approach to team building the ones that are most successful right now?

So do you think you need to have an elite
Defense to contend?

Trench

I think in playoffs things are somewhat different. "Usually" refs let them play (especially in Super Bowls we don't see much holding penalties). So I think defense is huge in playoffs.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Trench on December 31, 2022, 11:33:16 AMI think in playoffs things are somewhat different. "Usually" refs let them play (especially in Super Bowls we don't see much holding penalties). So I think defense is huge in playoffs.
Just wild how different the make ups of teams are in the playoffs this season. Most built a completely different way from the next.

T200

Top offenses generally rule the regular season. Balanced teams are usually successful as well.

When the win-or-go-home season starts, I'd rather have a stout defense.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

beaugestus

I would think that it may have been the case years ago. We know that the NFL has been leaning toward more scoring.

Ed Vette

Good topic Jess. I do believe Defense wins championships but those teams have to be able to also score and Special Teams doesn't get nearly enough credit for field position in the post season or regular season.

At the first quarter of the season I was watching Defense dominating Offense and I haven't looked at it lately to see points scored this year compared to the last three seasons. The team to watch is the Niners. Offensively they are ranked 9th and 8th in yards and points scored which would make them a top competitor. Unfortunately they lost Deebo and it's unknown if Jimmy G will be back before any possible elimination but they are a very daunting Defense.

Buffalo has been warm and cold Offensively of late and Baltimore doesn't have the Offensive with or without Jackson. The only team that is intimidating right now is the Eagles but I think teams are figuring out how to combat them. I don't think they get past the Niners. 

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Jim

You need a balanced team. If QB is the most important position, why would defense be more important? With all the close games lately, clock management is very important and the job of the offense. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. What determined the defensive ranking above, total yards? Defenses can't give up yards if they're sitting on the bench. Also, how many yards and points are given up in garbage time with prevent defenses? How many points teams get after a fumble or interception deep in the opponents zones are charged vs the defense in the stats.

A good ball control (Running game) offense helps defenses move up in the rankings. Run games need some passing to keep safety's back. Defenses are needed because other teams get the ball. If offenses get big leads, opponents need to pass and will gain more total yards than the team with the lead and running the ball, playing it safe and killing the clock. Teams need to be balanced.

My question is, how much does a good offense help the defense?

LennG

Even in our SB wins, we have shown that a big-time pass rush wins championships. No matter who the great QB is, Brady, Elway, Kelly, and even lately Mahones, put a big-time pass rush on any QB, and they just aren't the same.

Defenses win Championships,
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: Giant Jim on December 31, 2022, 12:27:13 PMYou need a balanced team. If QB is the most important position, why would defense be more important? With all the close games lately, clock management is very important and the job of the offense. The other team can't score if they don't have the ball. What determined the defensive ranking above, total yards? Defenses can't give up yards if they're sitting on the bench. Also, how many yards and points are given up in garbage time with prevent defenses? How many points teams get after a fumble or interception deep in the opponents zones are charged vs the defense in the stats.

A good ball control (Running game) offense helps defenses move up in the rankings. Run games need some passing to keep safety's back. Defenses are needed because other teams get the ball. If offenses get big leads, opponents need to pass and will gain more total yards than the team with the lead and running the ball, playing it safe and killing the clock. Teams need to be balanced.

My question is, how much does a good offense help the defense?
That's a good point. The Giants are 12th in time of possession this year. 30:13 vs 28:24 last year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Yes in every sport, not just football.

DaveBrown74

I think the phrase "defense wins championships" still has clear elements of truth to it, but these days I think it's widely overused and no longer anywhere nearly as true as it used to be. There have been way too many high scoring Super Bowls to take this phrase as some sort of law of the land the way it perhaps used to be a couple of generations ago and before. The game and its rules have changed materially in recent times. I have watched a lot of highly rated and feared defenses go into the playoffs and look helpless against elite offenses. Not just in Super Bowls but in a lot of playoff games.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 31, 2022, 01:37:47 PMI think the phrase "defense wins championships" still has clear elements of truth to it, but these days I think it's widely overused and no longer anywhere nearly as true as it used to be. There have been way too many high scoring Super Bowls to take this phrase as some sort of law of the land the way it perhaps used to be a couple of generations ago and before. The game and its rules have changed materially in recent times. I have watched a lot of highly rated and feared defenses go into the playoffs and look helpless against elite offenses. Not just in Super Bowls but in a lot of playoff games.
Great point!

Painter

All that can be said about it is that the better your Defense, the better your chance of winning. And that is a generalization not a guarantee, especially not against an elite QB with a versatile Offense.

Cheers!

jimmyz

As a matter of fact, yes.  We've seen great defenses take down great passing attacks even in the modern era. 

But for whatever reason it seems to be harder to maintain a dominant defense today.  Once your defense has reached its peak, the components start needing significant financial attention.  DTs and DEs and CBs suck up cash and then you can't justify paying your outstanding off ball backer who keeps the front half of the defense to the back half.  Or maybe you do pay your stud backer but now your space eating NT is gone because there's no way you're letting your edge rusher go. 

On the other hand, WRs and RBs seem to come from all corners of the draft and can and do get replaced without significant drop off.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

kartanoman

If the 49ers win it all, you have your answer.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)