News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

38 YEARS AGO we drafted a LBer in the 1st round

Started by brownelvis54, January 04, 2023, 07:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jim

Outside linebacker and DE are almost the same in today's game. True linebacker has pass defense responsibilities. It all depends how the coach at the time plays them. Back when Banks was drafted, the Giants were playing the 3-4 D. 4 linebackers most of the time meant more linebackers on the roster. Teams, like the Giants, are starting 3 CB's, so 1 less from the DL or LB line.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on January 06, 2023, 01:59:17 PMOutside linebacker and DE are almost the same in today's game. True linebacker has pass defense responsibilities. It all depends how the coach at the time plays them. Back when Banks was drafted, the Giants were playing the 3-4 D. 4 linebackers most of the time meant more linebackers on the roster. Teams, like the Giants, are starting 3 CB's, so 1 less from the DL or LB line.

True, there is a lot of overlap between 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs which is why many started using the term EDGE
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Painter- just want to say thanks for adding all of those names/years into the discussion, even if it makes me a little queasy to read.  I'm having trouble thinking of a case for any other position on the Giants that I'd nominate as "least prioritized" than MLB/ILB- for sure through the draft and even a solid case for the quality of FA acquisitions (notwithstanding Antonio Pierce, even though if memory serves when we actually acquired him it wasn't as if he was looked upon as a slam dunk....more of an "above average" acquisition that worked out better than hoped). 

TDToomer

Quote from: Painter on January 06, 2023, 12:33:05 PMAlthough the Giants had Kiwi play Strong Side Linebacker his rookie year, he was drafted as a DE, his natural position.

Your memory notwithstanding, the Giants then had Kiwi spend the '07 offseason and preseason preparing to play Strong Side DE which he did for 12 games before breaking his fibula. It was then intended that in '08, he would switch back from DE to SSLB. However, that never happened as Osi Umenyiora tore his meniscus in a preseason loss to the Jets and so never played a game in 2008. Consequently, Kiwi then played all 16 games and the Divisional playoff at DE.

Throughout his 9 seasons he was moved several times from DE to LB and back but with many more games played at his natural position of Defensive End. 

Cheers!

The plan may have been for Kiwi to play DE during the 2007 preseason but all of his starts were at SLB. Osi, Strahan and Tuck got all of the DE starts that season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2007.htm
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 06, 2023, 02:43:48 PMTrue, there is a lot of overlap between 4-3 DEs and 3-4 OLBs which is why many started using the term EDGE

It is safe to say, I think, that if the guy is labeled as an EDGE, his role will be almost exclusively that of a pass rusher who only occasionally might drop into short coverage as part of a Zone Blitz. And unlike a true DE, he may not have the same responsibility for controlling runs to the outside.

Actually, we are now more likely to see Thibs listed as RUSH with Ojulari as DE on Depth Charts.

Cheers!   

BluesCruz

Quote from: brownelvis54 on January 04, 2023, 07:41:55 PMHas it really been that long? Has the linebacker position evolved to a position of non-relevance? At least to the NY Giants organization. If I am not mistaken it wasnt long ago Philly fans were begging for the franchise to draft linebackers and they did. Look at them now. In 1984 Carl Banks was drafted (our last LBer in the 1st round). Prior to that Lawernce Taylor was picked in 1981. Is it time? In your opinion is the linebacker position a vital part of of a modern-day NFL team?

Brad Van Pelt was a great gamble

A Saftey at Michigan State, he became a superstar at LBer

Look at the attached list. A history of 1st round picks for the Giants. It wasn't always this way. Is it time to reconsider this position?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Giants_first-round_draft_picks
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Painter

My consideration of the topic does not involve Linebacker in general as would include OLB or EDGE or RUSH whether picked in Round 1 or not. Rather, it is concerned with the challenge and opportunity to add a topnotch man-in-the-middle whether we call him ILB or MLB, who might be at least an Antonio Pierce or Michael Barrow type.

Cheers! 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on January 06, 2023, 05:14:11 PMMy consideration of the topic does not involve Linebacker in general as would include OLB or EDGE or RUSH whether picked in Round 1 or not. Rather, it is concerned with the challenge and opportunity to add a topnotch man-in-the-middle whether we call him ILB or MLB, who might be at least an Antonio Pierce or Michael Barrow type.

Cheers! 

MLB/ILB are an interesting draft issue.  In terms of value (how much cap $$$ they save versus a veteran) drafting a MLB/ILB is almost as lacking in cap savings as drafting a RB round one.  On the other had, I have seen some first round MLB/ILB picks make real impacts for he defenses they are drafted into.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

In the modern NFL, there is nearly no distinction between 4-3 backers and 3-4 inside backers.

These are the positions being referenced when we speak of LBs.  Dominant defenses have good, very good and even great LBs.  No dominant defense come equipped with Chase Blackburn type LBs. 

They don't make the flashy plays.  They do the things that make the offense's easy plays not so easy.  When you see a defense running like a top, it's the LB holding the high value guys in front and behind them glued together in tight coordination. 

But unless those LBs are in the 'great' category, nobody wants to pay them.  It's an odd paradigm most have come to shrug at. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."