News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dave Gettleman ‘proud as hell’ to watch Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley thrive

Started by MightyGiants, January 06, 2023, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

First comments since retirement

Here are a couple of his quotes

"I'm proud as hell, they both persevered and fought through," Dave Gettleman, the former Giants general manager, told The Post on Friday. "You talk about mental toughness, for Saquon to fight through those injuries and not getting a contract and being forced to play out his fifth year, he had to have a lot of confidence in himself, show some mental toughness.

"And Daniel, the same thing. He's in his third system in four years. Of course I'm proud of them. I'm really happy for them. It's not because it justifies me. It justifies them."

"Am I happy the guys are doing well? I'm thrilled,'' Gettleman said. "Daniel and Saquan and Andrew Thomas and Dexter, where do you want me to stop? I'm thrilled they're all playing well. They're maturing as players and they're getting coached.''

https://nypost.com/2023/01/06/dave-gettleman-proud-as-hell-to-watch-giants-he-drafted-thrive/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Four players in 5 years, make it 5 with Gano.

Great job Dave.

Next season....Ring of honor.

Sit back and enjoy a medium Pepsi, compliments of your loyal fans and served by the real 6 million dollar man, your usher James Stewart.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Jclayton92

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 06, 2023, 08:17:26 PMFour players in 5 years, make it 5 with Gano.

Great job Dave.

Next season....Ring of honor.

Sit back and enjoy a medium Pepsi, compliments of your loyal fans and served by the real 6 million dollar man, your usher James Stewart.
Couldn't agree more, Gettleman set us back 10 years with his 5 year employment. Nearly destroyed a proud franchise.

Mara had a hand in that as well.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 06, 2023, 07:50:23 PMFirst comments since retirement

Here are a couple of his quotes

"I'm proud as hell, they both persevered and fought through," Dave Gettleman, the former Giants general manager, told The Post on Friday. "You talk about mental toughness, for Saquon to fight through those injuries and not getting a contract and being forced to play out his fifth year, he had to have a lot of confidence in himself, show some mental toughness.

"And Daniel, the same thing. He's in his third system in four years. Of course I'm proud of them. I'm really happy for them. It's not because it justifies me. It justifies them."

"Am I happy the guys are doing well? I'm thrilled,'' Gettleman said. "Daniel and Saquan and Andrew Thomas and Dexter, where do you want me to stop? I'm thrilled they're all playing well. They're maturing as players and they're getting coached.''

https://nypost.com/2023/01/06/dave-gettleman-proud-as-hell-to-watch-giants-he-drafted-thrive/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app

WHY did he have his third system in 4 years?

WHY is it just now that DJ and SB are (only) now being coached?

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

y_so_blu

We're glad you are proud, Dave. But stay away. Far, far away.

todge

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 06, 2023, 08:31:23 PMWHY did he have his third system in 4 years?

WHY is it just now that DJ and SB are (only) now being coached?
In DGs defense - ownership chooses the coaches AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Painter

Quote from: todge on January 06, 2023, 09:30:48 PMIn DGs defense - ownership chooses the coaches AZ.

It should be thought of as Maraship rather than Ownership unless you are still selling the notion that the Giants make all such decisions on the basis of some broad consensus.  In any case, who recommended Gettleman? Or was Accorsi just another Straw Man at the time for what we now hope will have been the end of Mara cronyism. 

Cheers!

jimmyz

Whaaat!!????  Dave Gettleman is proud?   xxxx the playoffs now I'm pissed. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

If Schwartz thought this article was going to somehow endear Giants fans to Gettleman as a GM or in some way whitewash their perception of his performance in his job over those four years, he was mistaken.

Ed Vette

Quote from: todge on January 06, 2023, 09:30:48 PMIn DGs defense - ownership chooses the coaches AZ.

It's also a draft by committee too, right Ted?

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Sometimes I feel like Gettleman is like the villain in pro wrestling. He's the guy everyone loves to boo and hate.  To me, he's that powerful home run hitter whose batting average is so poor that while hitting amazing home runs that he ends up being a net negative.   A mediocre at best GM whose comments made him a comic bad guy in the eyes of so many.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Jim

The problems with the Giants stem from the top. John Mara first blamed Kevin Gilbride, then Coughlin, then Reese, McAdoo, Schumur, public warning about Gettleman, then Gettleman & Judge. Jason Garrett was forced on Judge by Mara. Mara, like his father, believes in taking short cuts to win now. Barkley was drafted as Mara's way to win with Eli. Big named, high priced free agents were brought in to win now. They don't work. The contracts these guys like Galladay, Solder and Collins (with Washington) get are the last ones they'll ever get and they know it. They're getting way more money than they'll ever need, no reason to put out. This year's salary cap situation and current team shows that high priced free agents aren't the way to build. Drafted players need to be re-signed before the reach the open market. I blame most of the last 10 years on Mara. Let's see if he's changed when money becomes available down the road.

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 07, 2023, 09:56:05 AMSometimes I feel like Gettleman is like the villain in pro wrestling. He's the guy everyone loves to boo and hate.  To me, he's that powerful home run hitter whose batting average is so poor that while hitting amazing home runs that he ends up being a net negative.   A mediocre at best GM whose comments made him a comic bad guy in the eyes of so many.

Fantastic analogy @MightyGiants!

Blue Fire

The coaching was the biggest miss . FA was mixed but the 5 top guys are home runs now that we have good coaching putting them in positions to succeed.

If you want to kill DG at least give him credit for the 5 core guys we have now. 2 4 6 17 and Leo.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!