News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Integrity Of The Game

Started by Ed Vette, January 07, 2023, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

There is a clear distinction between what Coughlin did in the 2007 game against the Patriots, and what the Giants are doing against the Eagles tomorrow.

The Patriots that year were 15-0, shooting for the perfect season. The Giants had nothing to lose but because it was the Pats it was going to be a huge ratings game, and it was.

By the Giants taking them to the wire, it gave the team tremendous confidence that if they could hang with New England, they could beat anyone, and they did.

The difference in this game, is that DJ can get injured quite easily because he is a running QB and not just a thrower.

Barkley has also been known to be injury prone, so allowing both of those guys to rest and to be fresh for the playoffs is paramount.

Azeez and Leo are both injured so allowing them to rest is wise.

DJ has already played a 16 game season, one more game isn't going to change his abilities or his confidence moving forward.

I agree with Daboll, this is the right move, too much to risk for little reward. Practice hard this week, study as much film as you can and be prepared to light up the Vikings next week.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sxdxca38 on January 07, 2023, 08:14:08 PMThere is a clear distinction between what Coughlin did in the 2007 game against the Patriots, and what the Giants are doing against the Eagles tomorrow.

The Patriots that year were 15-0, shooting for the perfect season. The Giants had nothing to lose but because it was the Pats it was going to be a huge ratings game, and it was.

By the Giants taking them to the wire, it gave the team tremendous confidence that if they could hang with New England, they could beat anyone, and they did.

The difference in this game, is that DJ can get injured quite easily because he is a running QB and not just a thrower.

Barkley has also been known to be injury prone, so allowing both of those guys to rest and to be fresh for the playoffs is paramount.

Azeez and Leo are both injured so allowing them to rest is wise.

DJ has already played a 16 game season, one more game isn't going to change his abilities or his confidence moving forward.

I agree with Daboll, this is the right move, too much to risk for little reward. Practice hard this week, study as much film as you can and be prepared to light up the Vikings next week.

I agree with all of this; I would also add that the 07 team had a ton of depth. This team has very little depth. So injuries are even more of a risk for this team than that one.

madbadger

To me it sends the wrong message to your players. You can't preach about the importance of each rep and each game and then mail it in when you don't have anything to gain.

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on January 07, 2023, 08:26:37 PMTo me it sends the wrong message to your players. You can't preach about the importance of each rep and each game and then mail it in when you don't have anything to gain.
It sends a message that winning isn't always important. Bad message.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Does it not send a similar message once you have benched healthy starters? Does it make a big difference who you play once you have decided to not play your best players?

sxdxca38

Quote from: madbadger on January 07, 2023, 08:26:37 PMTo me it sends the wrong message to your players. You can't preach about the importance of each rep and each game and then mail it in when you don't have anything to gain.

Interesting point of view, but let me ask you this question.

Leonard Williams just recently said the last time he even had an opportunity to play in a playoff game was 7 years ago, and the Jets didn't make it. He let the other players on the team know how special this opportunity is.

If you go out and play all of your starters including DJ and Barkley, and DJ ends up getting hurt and will be out 6-8 weeks, what kind of a message does that send to players like Leo Williams who waited 7 years just to get to this spot?

What kind of a message does that send to all the other players who want to make and win a Superbowl, but you as a head coach risked your starting QB in a meaningless game, and now he will be out, and you have no chance in the playoffs?

I'll tell you the kind of message that sends, it tells the players that my head coach is so short sighted and impulsive that he doesn't see the big picture, and he ruined all of our chances at the big game.

Thankfully the veterans and mature players get it

jgrangers2

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 07, 2023, 08:38:12 PMIt sends a message that winning isn't always important. Bad message.

Do you think there's a single player on this team that doesn't fully understand the situation? The ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl. Winning or losing this game will have no bearing on that.

HondurasGiants

Making the playoffs and having a BYE / preseason type of game (to rest some / play some) is a luxury that I would have never imagined we'd have at the beginning of the season.

I love the vision of always playing to win but...we CANNOT pass this opportunity to get healthy, rest and give some players needed reps (Xavier McKinney for one).

Let's gooooooo

Trench

Super Bowl?....just 3 weeks ago the head coach was getting trashed for perhaps not being the genius he was made out to be - now we are talking Super Bowl in our comments. At least we all have a short memory. Good problem to have.

Let's Go Giants!....imagine if we can win tomorrow how sweet it is

jimmyz

For a team that seems to be playing above their heads, taking a week off could kill whatever momentum or wave or zone they're on.

As a principle, I believe in finishing.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 07, 2023, 08:38:12 PMIt sends a message that winning isn't always important. Bad message.

I have to think that the players understand the difference between winning a playoff game versus winning a game that has all the meaning of a preseason game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Unlike Ed, I believe the answer to the question is not an absolute.  I think circumstances dictate the answer.

You're the head coach.  Which (a or b below) is more important THIS YEAR?

(a) "Manufacture" the equivalent of a bye week for our team, especially for players who've played a lot for whatever reason. Some examples are: (1) Barkley (we needed as big a threat as possible in the run game, in order to give our 3rd-rate receiving corps even a tiny chance to succeed this year); (2) Dexter (there was little depth to start with, then Williams got hurt, etc.); (3) Love (with all the other d-backfiled injuries they never got much of a chance to give him a rest); (4) Jones (when you run the ball a lot, and are required to scramble on virtually every pass play, you take a physical beating).

(b) Ruin the hated Eagles' season (which exposes our guys to more injuries, requires use of our best "tricks" that might come in handy if we eventually have to play the Eagles in the playoff, etc.).  IMO, the magnitude of winning today would pale in comparison to what would follow if the Giants last long enough in the playoffs to face (and defeat) the Eagles.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

EDjohnst1981

I would have liked to see Taylor start. Elevating Webb over him isn't a great look in my view.

I have no issues with not playing those injured or even playing Jones, with his career of picking up knocks - that's wise.

I do feel for the guys who are the cusp of a bonus and they don't play. I mean Kenny G probably only needed 600 yards and 8 TDs to reach a bonus.  /sarcasm/

Bob In PA

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on January 08, 2023, 08:29:55 AMI would have liked to see Taylor start. Elevating Webb over him isn't a great look in my view.

I have no issues with not playing those injured or even playing Jones, with his career of picking up knocks - that's wise.

I do feel for the guys who are the cusp of a bonus and they don't play. I mean Kenny G probably only needed 600 yards and 8 TDs to reach a bonus.  /sarcasm/

EDjohn: Giving the start to Webb could be viewed as a "reward" for a job well-done running the scout team at practice.  The fact is... we have absolutely no idea how valuable Webb actually is to this team because we don't get to see the practices. It also says the Giants believe they can't afford to have either Jones or Taylor hurt before entering into even the first playoff game. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

I am sort of surprised by some of the strong views on this matter.  To me, there seem to be equally good arguments for and against resting players.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE