News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A Quick Playoff Question

Started by bighitterdalama, January 13, 2023, 11:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighitterdalama

IF the Giants defeat the Vikings (which I believe is going to happen; more on that later), who/when do they play? I know this question is loaded with ifs and buts. I believe, assuming a Seattle loss, they would play the Eagles in Philadelphia. If so, what day and time? I'm not jumping ahead, but my personal schedule the following week depends largely on whether the Gs would play Saturday or Sunday. As usual, the NFL provides confusing information on what should be an easy description.

Any input is appreciated.

MightyGiants

The times for next week are still up in the air.  To be frank, I really have no idea how the NFL decides when a game will be played
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bighitterdalama

Bob In PA

Brian: As we know, it's all about money. Since you're assuming (as I am) that the Giants win and Seattle loses, Giants vs. Eagles is a very-hi-value contest because of the cities involved and because Eagles are a favorite to get to the Super Bowl. What better way to build hype for that event than to feature them as strongly as possible? So, if you're asking whether that game would be put on Saturday or Sunday, I would say Sunday with above-average confidence.  Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: bighitterdalama on January 13, 2023, 12:03:42 PMWhat about the day, Rich?

Brian,

As far as I can tell the NFL schedules their best matchups later.  So the odds are pretty good that the premium matchup will be the late Sunday game, followed by the Saturday game.  You also have to mix up the AFC and the NFC.  Now I had to make a lot of assumptions in terms of winners:

Best guess:

Saturday

Jags at the Chiefs

followed by

Dallas at the 49ers

Sunday

Giants at the Eagles

followed by

Bengals at the Bills
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 13, 2023, 12:06:08 PMBrian: As we know, it's all about money. Since you're assuming (as I am) that the Giants win and Seattle loses, Giants vs. Eagles is a very-hi-value contest because of the cities involved and because Eagles are a favorite to get to the Super Bowl. What better way to build hype for that event than to feature them as strongly as possible? So, if you're asking whether that game would be put on Saturday or Sunday, I would say Sunday with above-average confidence.  Bob

Bob,

I could see Saturday night as well.  Of course it depends on the other matchups.

The Saturday Primetime game is, in my opinion, a good fit if there are two west coast teams playing. Not sure if that's even a possibility.  I guess Cowboys - 49ers might be close there.

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 13, 2023, 12:19:46 PMBrian,

As far as I can tell the NFL schedules their best matchups later.  So the odds are pretty good that the premium matchup will be the late Sunday game, followed by the Saturday game.  You also have to mix up the AFC and the NFC.  Now I had to make a lot of assumptions in terms of winners:

Best guess:

Saturday

Jags at the Chiefs

followed by

Dallas at the 49ers

Sunday

Giants at the Eagles

followed by

Bengals at the Bills

Why is the Jags winning one of your assumptions? They barely qualified for the playoffs and are only hosting because they won the worst division in the NFL.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

killarich

Waiting until the last second is annoying

I took off both days this weekend because I didn't know when giants were playing .... I'm keeping both days now because I hurt my back lol but still

Now next week still no word....can they at least let us know the days for certain seeded teams ?

And me getting days off depends on seniority, time etc

killarich

Quote from: TDToomer on January 13, 2023, 01:50:17 PMWhy is the Jags winning one of your assumptions? They barely qualified for the playoffs and are only hosting because they won the worst division in the NFL.

What would the early Sunday game be ? 4:30 ?

uconnjack8

Quote from: killarich on January 13, 2023, 02:26:36 PMWhat would the early Sunday game be ? 4:30 ?

I think it would be 12:30 with a 4:15 late game.

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 13, 2023, 11:30:27 AMThe times for next week are still up in the air.  To be frank, I really have no idea how the NFL decides when a game will be played
It used to be easy to follow. Now, night games and other networks have made a mess of it.

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 13, 2023, 11:30:27 AMThe times for next week are still up in the air.  To be frank, I really have no idea how the NFL decides when a game will be played

I suspect it's based on analytics, which are predicted on market/tv rating data for each team.  I suspect the have LOTS of data that allows them to secure maximum viewership.  It's all about ratings and viewership, which translates to advertising dollars. 

CVA14

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 13, 2023, 12:06:08 PMBrian: As we know, it's all about money. Since you're assuming (as I am) that the Giants win and Seattle loses, Giants vs. Eagles is a very-hi-value contest because of the cities involved and because Eagles are a favorite to get to the Super Bowl. What better way to build hype for that event than to feature them as strongly as possible? So, if you're asking whether that game would be put on Saturday or Sunday, I would say Sunday with above-average confidence.  Bob

That's seems very likely at 4:25

LennG

If the Cowpukes advance, you know they get the PRIME spot, on Sunday. That is almost automatic. Plus they play on MNF so there is no play on Saturday. If the Giants are in it, and they play the Eagles, I would say late Saturday.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on January 13, 2023, 06:51:30 PMIf the Cowpukes advance, you know they get the PRIME spot, on Sunday. That is almost automatic. Plus they play on MNF so there is no play on Saturday. If the Giants are in it, and they play the Eagles, I would say late Saturday.

That is an interesting point Len raised about the Monday-night team.  Regardless if the Bucs or Dallas win, one team that got stuck on Monday night will have to play the next weekend.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE