News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Yesterday's loss reminded me of the 2000 Super Bowl loss to the Ravens

Started by MightyGiants, January 22, 2023, 07:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Giants (and we, the fans) were feeling pretty good about the 2000 Giants after they dismantled the Vikings, only to get the butts handed to them by a far more talented team.  That's how I felt last night watching, it was Deja Vue all over again as Yogi used to say.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Giants have beaten the Vikings 3x's in the playoffs......The three following games:

49'ers 44 Giants 3

Ravens 34 Giants 7

Eagles 38 Giants 7
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kartanoman

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 22, 2023, 07:38:57 AMGiants have beaten the Vikings 3x's in the playoffs......The three following games:

49'ers 44 Giants 3

Ravens 34 Giants 7

Eagles 38 Giants 7

I thought about that as well ... after the fact.

Look, the Giants have made progress, over this past season, but it's clear they're not ready for the Tier 1 teams in the league. They made progress to become competitive with the Tier 2 teams, and they might even be one, for all we know. But the empirical data shows a good start to the entire rebuild of the organization. That being said, there really is a lot more to do before they can, to a man, compete with the league's contenders.

Yesterday's match seemed like a repeat of Super Bowl XXXV; however, it was a disappointing ending to what was, otherwise, a surprisingly good season. The hope springs eternal, that is the start of next season's campaign, will bring a sense of optimism generated by the direction this entire organization is now vectored on.

As Frank Gifford used to say, during the old Giants' highlight films, "It was the end of a single season; not the end of bright, and promising Giants' football which lie ahead."

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Thin Blue Line

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 22, 2023, 07:34:41 AMThe Giants (and we, the fans) were feeling pretty good about the 2000 Giants after they dismantled the Vikings, only to get the butts handed to them by a far more talented team.  That's how I felt last night watching, it was Deja Vue all over again as Yogi used to say.

After watching the GIANTS destroy the Vikings 41-0 in one of the rare no sweat playoff wins over the past 40 years, I rationalized in the days leading up to Super Bowl XXXV why Kerry Collins and company could and should hang with the Ravens. 

Leading up to last night's game I went through a similar rationalization.  In both instances I was completely wrong and had my rose-colored glasses replaced with a harsh, cold dose of reality. 

Rich, I agree with you and we have seen this movie before.  But optimism will still be vindicated at some future date yet to be determined. 

BlueMoshik

I am still hoping Daboll is not the second coming of Jim Fassel, who started out great in his first season ( he was coach of the year in his rookie season, 1997) and had a reputation as a creative smart offensive coach, and whose teams, whenever they went to the playoffs, crashed and burned spectacularly. Sometimes being a super nice guy does not translate to ultimate success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicRat

Quote from: BlueMoshik on January 22, 2023, 01:29:29 PMI am still hoping Daboll is not the second coming of Jim Fassel, who started out great in his first season ( he was coach of the year in his rookie season, 1997) and had a reputation as a creative smart offensive coach, and whose teams, whenever they went to the playoffs, crashed and burned spectacularly. Sometimes being a super nice guy does not translate to ultimate success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the vibe that Dabs has it in his locker to be a very not-nice man, when very-not-niceness is required/appropriate.
Smell my cheese you mother!

jimmyz

We were the worst team to go to a Super Bowl in 2000.  Wellington Mara said it himself.  He was right.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

T200

Quote from: jimmyz on January 22, 2023, 08:41:32 PMWe were the worst team to go to a Super Bowl in 2000.  Wellington Mara said it himself.  He was right.
I nominate the Rex Grossman-led 2006 Bears for that "honor."
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

Quote from: T200 on January 22, 2023, 09:00:52 PMI nominate the Rex Grossman-led 2006 Bears for that "honor."

I nominate the 85 Patriots. I mean the Giants had home field advantage in the entire NFC in 2000 and had only lost 4 games. Why were we so disrespected?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

sxdxca38

The reason why the 2000 Giants team lost the Super Bowl is because in an interview the players said two things.

They got caught up in all the hype leading up to the game and didn't take it seriously enough.

Secondly, the coaches and players attempted to change their normal scheme to throw off the Ravens, and that completely backfired on them, henceforth the blowout loss.

BlueMoshik

There is a film about the 2000 Super Bowl and there's footage of Jim Fassel walking up to Brian Billick before the game and saying something like, "if I have to lose a Super Bowl, I'm glad it's to you, buddy." Immediately Billick goes to his staff and tells them with a smirk what Fassel just said to him. The Giants lost that game before it even started.

umassgrad

My memory has the Giants competing more in that Super Bowl than the recent loss where the Giants gave up close to 300 yards rushing. The Ravens had 244 total yards that game. The Eagles rushed for more than that.

Team Stats
BAL   NYG
First Downs   13   11
Rush-Yds-TDs   33-111-1   16-66-0
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT   12-26-153-1-0   15-39-112-0-4
Sacked-Yards   3-20   4-26
Net Pass Yards   133   86
Total Yards   244   152
Fumbles-Lost   2-0   2-1
Turnovers   0   5
Penalties-Yards   9-70   6-27
Third Down Conv.   3-16   2-14
Fourth Down Conv.   0-0   1-1
Time of Possession   34:06   25:54

BlueMoshik

Quote from: umassgrad on January 23, 2023, 06:04:55 AMMy memory has the Giants competing more in that Super Bowl than the recent loss where the Giants gave up close to 300 yards rushing. The Ravens had 244 total yards that game. The Eagles rushed for more than that.

Team Stats
BAL   NYG
First Downs   13   11
Rush-Yds-TDs   33-111-1   16-66-0
Cmp-Att-Yd-TD-INT   12-26-153-1-0   15-39-112-0-4
Sacked-Yards   3-20   4-26
Net Pass Yards   133   86
Total Yards   244   152
Fumbles-Lost   2-0   2-1
Turnovers   0   5
Penalties-Yards   9-70   6-27
Third Down Conv.   3-16   2-14
Fourth Down Conv.   0-0   1-1
Time of Possession   34:06   25:54

The Ravens DL crushed the Giants OL. Just complete demolition. Kerry Collins had a terrible game. It wasn't really close or competitive except one moment when Ron Dixon had a KO return for a TD, and then the Ravens promptly got one of their own.

umassgrad

Didn't say they competed well, just more than the Eagles game. The stats don't lie.
I shouldn't have disagreed with the post so I will rephrase, yes, yesterday's game did remind me of the 2000 Super Bowl.

BlueMoshik

Quote from: umassgrad on January 23, 2023, 06:40:28 AMDidn't say they competed well, just more than the Eagles game. The stats don't lie.
I shouldn't have disagreed with the post so I will rephrase, yes, yesterday's game did remind me of the 2000 Super Bowl.

15-39-112-0-4