News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- After watching 49ers, Dallas, and Eagles games -

Started by sxdxca38, January 23, 2023, 12:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

The Giants would have gotten manhandled by all three of them.

Those teams' defenses are so fast and powerful, they didn't stand a chance.

They went as far as they should have, beating the Vikings and that was it.

For the Giants to compete with those teams, they are going to need a top 5 defense that shuts down the run, and a powerful top 5 offensive line.

Anything short of that and they will continue to get manhandled by the Eagles, 49ers and Cowboys.

JS and Daboll have their work cut out for them, this will not be easy. 

Torus34

Hi, sxdxca38.

I agree whole-heartedly! The Giants can stop searching for some 'magic bullet' quarterback and get on with the job of building a team around Mr. Daniel Jones. An anti-sack offensive front 5 that can also open holes for running backs and a defensive team well-schooled in man-to-man will do wonders in 2023-4.

Regards.

Go, Big Blue!   

Rambo89

Giants roster is clearly a big step below the other 3 teams that played this weekend despite the QB's being at or near the same level as Jones.  It took years for those teams to build the rosters they did.  We just have to be patient and recognize this is year 1 of this regime despite the massive progress they made.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

T200

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 23, 2023, 07:27:10 AMGiants roster is clearly a big step below the other 3 teams that played this weekend despite the QB's being at or near the same level as Jones.  It took years for those teams to build the rosters they did.  We just have to be patient and recognize this is year 1 of this regime despite the massive progress they made.
This right here.

But we also have to remember that this was not just Year 1, it was meant to serve as an evaluation year for the entire roster. A lot of these guys may very well be gone next year and replaced as Schoen and Daboll bring in guys they think will fit their schemes better than what we currently have. I expect to see some turnover, especially in areas where guys underperformed.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

President Rick

Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

The Giants will likely have 11 draft picks (albeit on the lower end) and a bit more cap space than last year.  If the Giants want to take a big step next year, we should be rooting for the quick and full recovery of the injured picks from this year and some player development among those picks.

Guys who could improve or recover and fill a significant role

WR Wondale Robinson
ILB Beavers and ILB McFadden
S Belton
G Ezeudu
T Evan Neal
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: Torus34 on January 23, 2023, 06:59:52 AMHi, sxdxca38.

I agree whole-heartedly! The Giants can stop searching for some 'magic bullet' quarterback and get on with the job of building a team around Mr. Daniel Jones. An anti-sack offensive front 5 that can also open holes for running backs and a defensive team well-schooled in man-to-man will do wonders in 2023-4.

Regards.

Go, Big Blue!   

Thank you, yes I agree we are definitely on the same page!

sxdxca38

Quote from: Rambo89 on January 23, 2023, 07:27:10 AMGiants roster is clearly a big step below the other 3 teams that played this weekend despite the QB's being at or near the same level as Jones.  It took years for those teams to build the rosters they did.  We just have to be patient and recognize this is year 1 of this regime despite the massive progress they made.

Definitely absolutely I agree!

sxdxca38

Quote from: T200 on January 23, 2023, 07:36:53 AMThis right here.

But we also have to remember that this was not just Year 1, it was meant to serve as an evaluation year for the entire roster. A lot of these guys may very well be gone next year and replaced as Schoen and Daboll bring in guys they think will fit their schemes better than what we currently have. I expect to see some turnover, especially in areas where guys underperformed.

Good point!

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2023, 09:17:58 AMThe Giants will likely have 11 draft picks (albeit on the lower end) and a bit more cap space than last year.  If the Giants want to take a big step next year, we should be rooting for the quick and full recovery of the injured picks from this year and some player development among those picks.

Guys who could improve or recover and fill a significant role

WR Wondale Robinson
ILB Beavers and ILB McFadden
S Belton
G Ezeudu
T Evan Neal

Also a good point, I think Wondale and Neal could be major upgrades to the team if they improve and fully heal

kartanoman

There comes a time where emotion need be separated from reality and the fact is that teams such as the 49ers, Eagles, Bengals and Chiefs are proven contenders; in other words, the Tier 1 teams in the NFL.

There's a lineup of 1A teams who may challenge the Tier 1 teams but they haven't broken through the wall yet. The Bills are the most obvious example of that. Until this season, the Packers were one of those teams as were the Bucs. The Vikings bounce between Tier 1A and Tier 2. I think the Cowboys and Titans fall in line with the Vikings in that regard.

Next, you have the Tier 2 teams who can make it to the tournament but, for all accounts and measures, make up the numbers. The Giants are up and coming, and "may" be a Tier 2 team now, but that will ultimately be measured by how next year pans out. Seahawks are another team who are close to the Giants, in that regard, and the Lions definitely made a case for ranking there as well. Certainly, the Jags, Dolphins, Chargers, Patriots, Ravens, Steelers and now the Rams are all Tier 2 right now.

You have Tier 2A to 3 teams, such as Washington, Jets, Browns, Cardinals, Broncos and maybe the Panthers and Colts who make noise, during the season, but are fringe playoff contention teams, at best.

True Tier 3 teams are those who have fallen on long-term bad times, are very poorly managed and do not have any real opportunity to challenge anyone other than themselves in this tier. The Texans, Saints, Falcons and Bears come to mind.

Back to the Giants, what do the Tier 1/1A teams have that the Giants do not? They have run the gauntlet to build and sustain success over a demonstrated period of time; the Giants have been among the worst performing teams in the league over the last five or six years. It's not about a knee-jerk "get rid of this guy, ransack the Eagles and 49ers' roster for this guy and that guy, it's that they are in a place where all of those team were roughly three or four seasons ago.

Just about everyone here understands it's going to take at least that long to establish a Tier 1/1A group. The fact of the matter is that Schoen and Daboll accomplished something in one season which has not been seen since Tom Coughlin was the head coach.

I make this statement often, and I'll say it again, in that I watch the 49ers and enjoy their brand of football because it closely mirrors my dream for what I'd like the Giants to be one day. I believe they'll beat the Eagles and give the AFC winner all they can possibly handle as they're the only team whom I believe can stand toe to toe with the Chiefs or Bengals at the moment; we'll find out in one week.

Meanwhile, the Giants have taken one big step forward. Every journey begins with a first step. Next season, I hope they take another to move them closer to that Tier 1/1A group. It's not the destination, it's the journey that is what it's all about. Parcells and Coughlin have their journeys well documented in leading to their ultimate success. Fassel had his own and nearly got there. Daboll's first step, compared to the three great coaches I mentioned, is as impressive as any of them. In the end, that's why the vibe should be encouraging with the future not yet written, but the dream finally alive again, and the people who look prepared to run the gauntlet to get there. Not all of them will make it to the end, but will one day say with pride that they helped (e.g. the Rob Carpenters, Dave Jennings, Brad Van Pelts, etc.).

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Rambo89

Quote from: T200 on January 23, 2023, 07:36:53 AMThis right here.

We might see more turnover than we did last off season with a better cap situation and flexibility to move on in some areas.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kingm56

Quote from: Torus34 on January 23, 2023, 06:59:52 AMHi, sxdxca38.

Regards.

Go, Big Blue!   

On the surface, your notion sounds great; however, in the last decade, what teams have won  SBs with "An anti-sack offensive front 5 that can also open holes for running backs"?  Dallas and Tenn built those exact teams; DAL had 3x AP OLs, AP RB and PB WR, Tenn a 3x PB LT, PB WR, and the NFLs best RB; yet, none of those teams could get past teams with top 5 QBs. The Rams had mult PB oline and Todd Gurley; however, they did not reach the SB following this philosophy...they won by selling the house to acquire a fringe-HoF QB. I guess we could always beat the percentages like the 2017 Eagles; still, there's a reason KC is going to its 5th straight AFC Championship and Cinci their second...the modern NFL is ALL about QB play.  Consider the remaining playoff teams, 3 of 4 are helmed by Top 5 QBs.  Concerning SF, it's too early to make any predications regarding Purdy.  Regardless, building a roster similar to SF would be imposible with a vetern QB making $35M/yr.  SF has multiple APs because they're only paying Gapopplo $7M and Lance $8M ($15M combined)/yr.  This paradigm afforded them the opportunity to acquire Christian Mac and pair with D Samual for two dynamic offensive players.  To be clear, I fully recognize your notion is the ONLY reasonable COA for next season; still, I also recognize how difficult it is to win SBs without a HoF or fringe HoF QB.  I don't believe this COA will bring us SBs in the next 7 years...

Cinci - Top 3 QB, 2nd straight AFC Championship
KC  - NFLs best QB, 5th straight AFC Championship Game

Phili - Top 5 QB
SF - I don't know what Purdy is; still, they have a LOADED rosters because they're not saddled with $37M+/yr QB contract....

You an keep going back and find a similar pattern...

Cinci - Top 3 QB, Made it to SB
KC  - NFLs best QB, 4th straight AFC Championship Game

Rams - Fringe HoF QB, will make it with one more SB and/or 3 seasons at last years pace
SF - See above

TB - GOAT
GB - Top 3 QB

KC - NFLs best QB, made it to the SB
Buff - Top 5 QB

Unfortunately, run first, good def teams no longer appear to be truly competitive to win SBs. Worse, teams who award large contracts to QBs not close or on a HoF trajectory (e.g. Cousins, Prescot, Tannehil, Goff, Carr, Ryan, Wentz, etc...) appear be incur a significant statistical disadvantage to winning SBs...

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)