News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Question regarding Micah Parsons and the GMEN -

Started by sxdxca38, January 24, 2023, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38

Parsons is an unbelievable talent, and last year fell right into our laps to draft at pick #11, but Gettleman and Judge passed, why?

I mean we would have had two talented players from PSU on our team, Barkley and Parsons.

I do remember there were some character concerns and the Giants because of that were hoping someone else would have drafted him before their pick came up.

But my question is, why did the Giants pass on drafting him?

This doesn't make any sense to me as outside of Trevor Lawrence, he was possibly the best player in that draft, and he would have an immediate impact on our defense.

Does anybody know? Because this has been bothering me for a while now.

Thanks in advance

MightyGiants

There were rumors the Giants were avoiding players who voluntarily skipped the Covid year, which Parsons did.

The Giants supposedly had some strong insights into Parsons as "Coach Chaos" was a former PSU line coach.  So presumably, they had more insight than most teams.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess, as teams generally don't disclose the reason they pass on players.

It's also possible the Giants simply wanted the extra draft picks the Bears trade brought them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

A couple of other thoughts, Parsons was drafted 12.  So clearly, there were other NFL teams that didn't see Parson's full value.  On top of that, the Cowboys are the best team in the league when it comes to managing players with character issues (Parsons had some issues).  It's possible things wouldn't have worked out as well if a different team drafted Parsons.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 24, 2023, 12:48:46 PMThere were rumors the Giants were avoiding players who voluntarily skipped the Covid year, which Parsons did.

The Giants supposedly had some strong insights into Parsons as "Coach Chaos" was a former PSU line coach.  So presumably, they had more insight than most teams.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess, as teams generally don't disclose the reason they pass on players.

It's also possible the Giants simply wanted the extra draft picks the Bears trade brought them.

Mighty,

Thank you for attempting to give me some answers, I appreciated that.

sxdxca38

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 24, 2023, 12:58:15 PMA couple of other thoughts, Parsons was drafted 12.  So clearly, there were other NFL teams that didn't see Parson's full value.  On top of that, the Cowboys are the best team in the league when it comes to managing players with character issues (Parsons had some issues).  It's possible things wouldn't have worked out as well if a different team drafted Parsons.

This was a great answer that I didn't think of, especially the part that if another team drafted him he may not have worked out for them character wise as he is with Dallas.

Once again thank you, and if someone else has some insight as to what transpired here, I will gladly hear you.

Jolly Blue Giant

I remember the draft well. Parsons was not considered one of the best players in the draft...never being listed in the top 10. He was listed as the best LB in the draft, but with it came with red flags (character flaws). Linebackers are rarely top 10 picks anyway unless they are extraordinary (i.e., like Sean Taylor) or if they are listed as a top "Edge Rusher". Parsons was not

I suspect the Giants (having a broken nose over the Eagles jumping us and swiping our dream target Devonta Smith) didn't feel as if a LB with character flaws was an adequate consolation prize

In hindsight, we ended up getting Toney (now turned into an additional 3rd and 6th rd pick this year), Aaron Robinson, Evan Neal, and Daniel Bellinger

In short: Parsons vs. Neal, Robinson, Bellinger, and an additional 3rd and 6th this year)
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 24, 2023, 01:06:30 PMI remember the draft well. Parsons was not considered one of the best players in the draft...never being listed in the top 10. He was listed as the best LB in the draft, but with it came with red flags (character flaws). Linebackers are rarely top 10 picks anyway unless they are extraordinary (i.e., like Sean Taylor) or if they are listed as a top "Edge Rusher". Parsons was not

I suspect the Giants (having a broken nose over the Eagles jumping us and swiping our dream target Devonta Smith) didn't feel as if a LB with character flaws was an adequate consolation prize

In hindsight, we ended up getting Toney (now turned into an additional 3rd and 6th rd pick this year), Aaron Robinson, Evan Neal, and Daniel Bellinger

In short: Parsons vs. Neal, Robinson, Bellinger, and an additional 3rd and 6th this year)

Thank you for contributing that answer, I appreciated it!

madbadger

Parsons impact at Penn State wasn't in line with his measurables. If they were he would have been picked first or second overall instead of sliding to 11. In retrospect it was clearly a mistake but at the time he wasn't the slam dunk that he's developed into. It happens.

PSUBeirut

The character flaws always were overblown and if that was the reason the Giants didn't draft Micah Parsons they're idiots.  I'd much rather want to believe they just didn't think he would turn out to be such an exceptional player (especially on the edge) as he's turned out to be- which would make the most sense, as I didn't see anyone at the time predicting the kind of impact he'd have, this early.

Hindsight, and all......  At the time, it certainly wasn't a slam dunk that the Giants passed on some sort of generational talent.  I saw more fans (including me!) that were disappointed in missing on Devonta Smith than missing on Parsons. 

sooners56

The Giants passed because they thought they were smarter than they were, imo! In hindsight it was terrible for the Giants to not draft Parsons. The Giants got a questionable RT and nothing else when they could have had an All Pro. Don't believe for a 2nd that Parsons wasn't high on a lot of posters list. I know I wanted Parsons or Slater.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

One important thing I am now remembering.  Parsons was considered more of an off-ball LB than an EDGE rusher (which is how he is thriving in the NFL).  Plus his 31.5-inch arms are a bit short by edge rushers standards.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nb587

I think a lot here are being way to kind to the team.  And, I don't buy this Coach Chaos stuff.  I think it was pure and simple general incompetence on the front office.  I understand the team wanted Devantae Smith. Given that the prior administration had no ability to keep secrets, he wasn't available.  But, to claim that there were character concerns, and then take Toney is absurd.  I don't watch much college football but even I knew that Toney had issues and injury concerns for that matter.  Parsons just might be the closest thing to LT that I've seen and it blows my mind that a team that did not have pass rushers at that time, or LBs for that matter, would pass on him.  My explanation is that it's another Gettleman gift and doubly so since it's the Cowboys. 

sxdxca38

Quote from: sooners56 on January 24, 2023, 02:00:57 PMThe Giants passed because they thought they were smarter than they were, imo! In hindsight it was terrible for the Giants to not draft Parsons. The Giants got a questionable RT and nothing else when they could have had an All Pro. Don't believe for a 2nd that Parsons wasn't high on a lot of posters list. I know I wanted Parsons or Slater.

Yes I do remember myself and a few others like Ed were high on Parsons as well.

I also think the Giants knew he was extremely talented, but they were scared because of character concerns.

I just wish they went with their gut and drafted Parsons, he is on his way to becoming a HOF player, and we could really use his help.

It also hurts even more that he is on the rival Cowboys, so we have to see him twice a year, as he has strengthened their defense.

sxdxca38

Quote from: nb587 on January 24, 2023, 02:22:53 PMI think a lot here are being way to kind to the team.  And, I don't buy this Coach Chaos stuff.  I think it was pure and simple general incompetence on the front office.  I understand the team wanted Devantae Smith. Given that the prior administration had no ability to keep secrets, he wasn't available.  But, to claim that there were character concerns, and then take Toney is absurd.  I don't watch much college football but even I knew that Toney had issues and injury concerns for that matter.  Parsons just might be the closest thing to LT that I've seen and it blows my mind that a team that did not have pass rushers at that time, or LBs for that matter, would pass on him.  My explanation is that it's another Gettleman gift and doubly so since it's the Cowboys. 

Ya know what, I would have to agree with you, total incompetence from the prior regime.

He was a player I loved in college, and I just wish we would have drafted him, it hurts seeing him on Dallas.

What a missed opportunity!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: PSUBeirut on January 24, 2023, 01:55:22 PMThe character flaws always were overblown and if that was the reason the Giants didn't draft Micah Parsons they're idiots.  I'd much rather want to believe they just didn't think he would turn out to be such an exceptional player (especially on the edge) as he's turned out to be- which would make the most sense, as I didn't see anyone at the time predicting the kind of impact he'd have, this early.

Hindsight, and all......  At the time, it certainly wasn't a slam dunk that the Giants passed on some sort of generational talent.  I saw more fans (including me!) that were disappointed in missing on Devonta Smith than missing on Parsons. 

His character issues might not have been so scary to the administration had they not just dealt with taking a chance with Deandre Baker. They were still smarting from that deal and weren't in the mood to test those waters again

But everyone is right, in hindsight we would have taken him....so would more than a few teams that drafted ahead of Dallas. Like pointed out by madbadger, "Parsons impact at Penn State wasn't in line with his measurables...at the time he wasn't the slam dunk that he's developed into (in the NFL), or as Rich pointed out "Parsons was considered more of an off-ball LB than an EDGE rusher (which is how he is thriving in the NFL).  Plus his 31.5-inch arms are a bit short by edge rushers standards"

There were plenty of reasons why he fell to 11 and plenty of solid reasons the Giants were nervous to jump on him. Absolutely no one (including the Cowboys) knew he was going to turn into the monster he's become in the NFL...just like no one though Tom Brady was worth more than a 6th round pick, or Brock Purdy, or....the list is endless of players passed on that became studs.
If only we had a crystal ball  :hmm:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: