News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

- Giants and DJ - "Expected to come to an agreement on a long-term contract."

Started by sxdxca38, February 17, 2023, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

If this is the case, the training wheels are off.

Time to put up or shut up. 5th year, no more excuses. Time to do it more than 3-4 game spurts.

Jclayton92

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 17, 2023, 04:47:19 PMTHANK YOU. why does no one realize this? aaron rodgers deal is $50m per year, but his cap hit for 2022? 28m. 2023? 31m. 2024? 59 MILLION. so contracts are just structured weird sometimes. i think if jones deal is 35/year, especially in the first couple years, youll see cap hits in maybe the mid 20's. people really dont understand how this works.

kyler murrays 40 million deal? his cap hit for 2023 is 16 million.

by 2024 the cap is supposed to balloon to nearly 300 million. jones 35m will be nothing at that point. even if his cap hit does hit 35m, by then its really not that much.

Everyone here fully understands how the cap works, teams don't backload contracts like they used to, maybe Jones 1st year is low bit even all the beat writers are acknowledging that signing Jones severely limits who we can sign. We aren't the Chiefs, or Bills who had a decent cupboard and the 4 years om a rookie deal to stockpile talent. We got 1 year with no cap to build a team before signing the Qb longterm. We still are void of significant talent and now have limited resources to fill that void.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Blue Fire on February 17, 2023, 04:53:03 PMDaks was 19M in year 1.Best guess, DJs will be probably between a 16-20M cap hit year 1.

Would you want the Giants to structure DJ's contract the way Dallas structured Dak?  2023 cap hit is $49 million and 2024's is $52 million.  And then 2 void years with another $25 million of dead money?  And I'm not talking about the numbers themselves, but the pattern of the cap hits.  Dallas is paying a bit CAP hit now for that $19 million hit in year 1.  Do we think that is wise?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 17, 2023, 04:47:19 PMTHANK YOU. why does no one realize this? aaron rodgers deal is $50m per year, but his cap hit for 2022? 28m. 2023? 31m. 2024? 59 MILLION. so contracts are just structured weird sometimes. i think if jones deal is 35/year, especially in the first couple years, youll see cap hits in maybe the mid 20's. people really dont understand how this works.

kyler murrays 40 million deal? his cap hit for 2023 is 16 million.

by 2024 the cap is supposed to balloon to nearly 300 million. jones 35m will be nothing at that point. even if his cap hit does hit 35m, by then its really not that much.

We realize it.  We also realize that years 2, 3, and 4 are coming and the cap hits become enormous.  You say Murray's 2023 hit is $16 million, and that is correct.  But the hits for the following 5 years range from $43 to $55 million.  Similar for Dak.  Similar for Wilson.  Are AZ, Dallas, or Denver likely to be heading for success?  Is that a wise approach to building a strong contending team?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Rambo89

Don't pay so much attention to the years as you do the Guaranteed money and how it's structured.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Blue Fire on February 17, 2023, 04:53:03 PMDaks was 19M in year 1.Best guess, DJs will be probably between a 16-20M cap hit year 1.

Correct. so it really wont "hamstring" us the way people are acting. you might be able to get barkley and jones cap hit to around 25m this year, combined. there really needs to be a handbook on these things for the casual fan. 35 AAV can be drastically different than cap hit.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on February 17, 2023, 06:31:17 PMIf this is the case, the training wheels are off.

Time to put up or shut up. 5th year, no more excuses. Time to do it more than 3-4 game spurts.

i agree.. but they cant expect him to do much more if we dont make massive upgrades on the oline and skill positions. can he and should he be able to do more at this point? sure. would it be 100% his fault if he doesnt? i dont think so.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: AZGiantFan on February 17, 2023, 06:57:36 PMWould you want the Giants to structure DJ's contract the way Dallas structured Dak?  2023 cap hit is $49 million and 2024's is $52 million.  And then 2 void years with another $25 million of dead money?  And I'm not talking about the numbers themselves, but the pattern of the cap hits.  Dallas is paying a bit CAP hit now for that $19 million hit in year 1.  Do we think that is wise?

absolutely not. at the time, he was playing like a top 5-10 qb. not so much right now. he, and the deal, are not aging well.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: AZGiantFan on February 17, 2023, 07:11:10 PMWe realize it.  We also realize that years 2, 3, and 4 are coming and the cap hits become enormous.  You say Murray's 2023 hit is $16 million, and that is correct.  But the hits for the following 5 years range from $43 to $55 million.  Similar for Dak.  Similar for Wilson.  Are AZ, Dallas, or Denver likely to be heading for success?  Is that a wise approach to building a strong contending team?

Certainly not. I would hope they could find a way to manage it reasonably throughout the deal. i think they can take a look around at some of the deals teams are in, like the packers, cardinals, cowboys.. and see how poorly they are turning out. then figure out a way to NOT wind up in that situation. personally, i think the best answer to this is to sign a shorter, 3-4 year deal. god forbid hes TRASH in year 3.. we dont have dozens of millions to figure out.

Blue Fire

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 18, 2023, 08:11:30 AMCertainly not. I would hope they could find a way to manage it reasonably throughout the deal. i think they can take a look around at some of the deals teams are in, like the packers, cardinals, cowboys.. and see how poorly they are turning out. then figure out a way to NOT wind up in that situation. personally, i think the best answer to this is to sign a shorter, 3-4 year deal. god forbid hes TRASH in year 3.. we dont have dozens of millions to figure out.

The whole idea is that your draft by year 3 of the contract would start to pick up the slack. Right now we have 11 picks and a big draft last year with a few rookies still getting fully up to speed in the NFL. If DJ signs a 5 year for around 35M AAV , 2023 and 2024 will likely be the 'lower' cap hit years. You can be agressive this year building to that leveraging your top 5 in the league cap space vs an increasing cap.  When DJs contract gets bigger your draft will need to supplement more.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 18, 2023, 08:02:58 AMCorrect. so it really wont "hamstring" us the way people are acting. you might be able to get barkley and jones cap hit to around 25m this year, combined. there really needs to be a handbook on these things for the casual fan. 35 AAV can be drastically different than cap hit.

Where it will hamstring the Giants will be at the time when Lawrence and Thomas's extensions kick in.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 17, 2023, 12:21:38 PMAt that price tag Slayton and Barkley aren't coming back.

how much is Slayton asking?

Barkley is replaceable
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on February 18, 2023, 10:23:56 AMWhere it will hamstring the Giants will be at the time when Lawrence and Thomas's extensions kick in.

Exactly. And those guys will both definitely get signed, because it would be insane not to, and Schoen is not insane. I'm all for paying those two whatever it takes to keep them.

But once they're signed, if we've already agreed to 40 per for Jones and 15 per for Barkley (or thereabout), that will mean you're talking about over $100m AAV allocated to those four players. What that's going to do is it will make it harder down the line to keep quality homegrown players on our team at contract time or to sign targeted free agents to help fill gaps.

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on February 18, 2023, 11:01:00 AMhow much is Slayton asking?

Barkley is replaceable
With what money exactly? Even though you don't like Barkley he was our entire offense the first 2/3rds of the season and the only reason teams were worried about us offensively. Take Slayton and Barkley away and this past season is likely a Dumpster fire offensively but sure just replace them.

Slayton will get Kirk money or right below Kirk money. Even though everyone here thought our wrs were garbage he was anywhere from the 12th best to the 19th best wr in football last season during different portions of the year, someone is going to pay him and that likely won't be us.

Rosehill Jimmy

I think the idea of Slayton getting $16-$18 m a year is insane
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"