News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Richie James signs with KC

Started by MightyGiants, April 07, 2023, 07:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 08, 2023, 09:31:00 AMGood thing the Giants signed Slayton.

I suspect they could have easily signed James for what they paid Slayton.  It appears to have been a conscious choice by NYG.

What I find interesting is that many fans were calling to or simply expecting James to be cut after he fumbled two punt returns in Seattle (helping seal the defeat).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 08, 2023, 09:43:43 AMI suspect they could have easily signed James for what they paid Slayton.  It appears to have been a conscious choice by NYG.

What I find interesting is that many fans were calling to or simply expecting James to be cut after he fumbled two punt returns in Seattle (helping seal the defeat).

Rich: Guys like Slayton are IMO a bit more rare than guys like James. 

Plus, I'm willing to bet even a few coaches were stunned by Slayton's near-resurrection from the dead. I was.

I personally consider the fumbled punts unrelated to the Giants treating him like he could easily be replaced.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 08, 2023, 09:52:37 AMRich: Guys like Slayton are IMO a bit more rare than guys like James. 

Plus, I'm willing to bet even a few coaches were stunned by Slayton's near-resurrection from the dead. I was.

I personally consider the fumbled punts unrelated to the Giants treating him like he could easily be replaced.

Bob

True about the rarity thing:

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

HondurasGiants

My guess is Richie James is Kadarius Toney insurance (for the snaps/games he'll miss when he's nicked up)

Wasn't it James who picked up Toney's snaps last year when they were both Giants?

Same type of player (not as good explosive as Toney)

Not losing sleep over this

Go Giants!

Bob In PA

Quote from: HondurasGiants on April 08, 2023, 11:25:49 AMMy guess is Richie James is Kadarius Toney insurance (for the snaps/games he'll miss when he's nicked up)

Wasn't it James who picked up Toney's snaps last year when they were both Giants?

Same type of player (not as good explosive as Toney)

Not losing sleep over this

Go Giants!

Honduras: I also see him as a "poor man's" Kadarius Toney. LOL

EDjohnst1981

Tony set a SB record for a punt return and caught a TD in the game.

Dislike him all you want. Let's not act that he left the giants and did nothing.

Ask Chiefs fans. Those things are worth a 3rd.

As for James. I suspect he's a camp body but if he's not good for him.

The Giants weren't improving by being players like James back.

Bob In PA

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on April 08, 2023, 07:48:38 PMTony set a SB record for a punt return and caught a TD in the game.

Dislike him all you want. Let's not act that he left the giants and did nothing.

Ask Chiefs fans. Those things are worth a 3rd.

As for James. I suspect he's a camp body but if he's not good for him.

The Giants weren't improving by being players like James back.

ED: On the contrary, he's a hero to me. No better feeling than having the Eagles lose something... anything. Bob

MightyGiants

Some say James was our best WR last season.   What does his new 1 year contract say about the state of last year's WR corps

1-year, $1,065,000 that included a $965,000 base salary and $100,000 signing bonus.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2023, 11:45:37 AMSome say James was our best WR last season.   What does his new 1 year contract say about the state of last year's WR corps

1-year, $1,065,000 that included a $965,000 base salary and $100,000 signing bonus.

I think Hodgins ended up as our best receiver. But even though he will have Mahomes now, he's likely buried on the depth chart, if he even makes that team

DaveBrown74

Quote from: True Blue on April 11, 2023, 12:32:03 PMI think Hodgins ended up as our best receiver. But even though he will have Mahomes now, he's likely buried on the depth chart, if he even makes that team

Agreed about Hodgins fwiw. He was very impressive down the back stretch of the season. I think he's capable of being a solid WR2 in the NFL. He definitely impressed me.

MightyGiants

@True Blue and @DaveBrown74

I appreciate the Giants could at a quality WR in the draft.  That said, how would you stack the current WRs in terms of positions?

Who is your X (usually number 1 WR who lines up split and on LOS)?

Who is your Y (usually number 2 WR who lines up split off the LOS)?

Who is your slot WR?

How does the depth stack up?

As a sample here is how Ourlads has our WR depth chart (LWR is X, RWR is Y, and SWR is slot)

LWR    18    Hodgins, Isaiah W/Buf    3    Shepard, Sterling 16/2    19    Smith, Jeff U/NYJ    87    Polk, Makai SF22

RWR    00    Campbell, Parris U/Ind    86    Slayton, Darius 19/5    15    Johnson, Collin W/Jax    45    Miller, Dre CF22

SWR    17    Robinson, Wan'Dale 22/2        Crowder, Jamison U/Buf    13    Sills V, David SF19    81    Pimpleton, Kalil SF22    88    Mickens, Jaydon SF22
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2023, 12:41:36 PM@True Blue and @DaveBrown74

I appreciate the Giants could at a quality WR in the draft.  That said, how would you stack the current WRs in terms of positions?

Who is your X (usually number 1 WR who lines up split and on LOS)?

Who is your Y (usually number 2 WR who lines up split off the LOS)?

Who is your slot WR?

How does the depth stack up?

As a sample here is how Ourlads has our WR depth chart (LWR is X, RWR is Y, and SWR is slot)

LWR    18    Hodgins, Isaiah W/Buf    3    Shepard, Sterling 16/2    19    Smith, Jeff U/NYJ    87    Polk, Makai SF22

RWR    00    Campbell, Parris U/Ind    86    Slayton, Darius 19/5    15    Johnson, Collin W/Jax    45    Miller, Dre CF22

SWR    17    Robinson, Wan'Dale 22/2        Crowder, Jamison U/Buf    13    Sills V, David SF19    81    Pimpleton, Kalil SF22    88    Mickens, Jaydon SF22

I think I would go Hodgins at X, Wan'Dale at slot, and Slayton at Y initially but with Campbell right there and the expectation that Campbell will ultimately supplant him as the "starter." No matter what I'd still get plenty of both in there.

Wan'Dale is my starter at slot but Crowder would get ample snaps.

I actually think of Shepard as more of a slot guy (think it's more his natural position) than an X, but I appreciate he can do both. Obviously my expectations for him aren't very high, but he'd be in the mix when healthy.

No doubt we lack a bona fide number one. I think we have a few guys though who can make plays and have differing skill sets.

I would also add that Waller is going to function as something of a WR1 for us this year. He can line up in line, but I think he'll be split out plenty.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 11, 2023, 12:57:10 PMI think I would go Hodgins at X, Wan'Dale at slot, and Slayton at Y initially but with Campbell right there and the expectation that Campbell will ultimately supplant him as the "starter." No matter what I'd still get plenty of both in there.

I actually think of Shepard as more of a slot guy (think it's more his natural position) than an X, but I appreciate he can do both. Obviously my expectations for him aren't very high, but he'd be in the mix when healthy.

No doubt we lack a bona fide number one. I think we have a few guys though who can make plays and have differing skill sets.

I would also add that Waller is going to function as something of a WR1 for us this year. He can line up in line, but I think he'll be split out plenty.

That makes a lot of sense.  Although I think that Parris Campbell has to be part of the starting trio, as his contract was more than Slayton's (albeit one year vs two).  I also believe Shep split time between slot and Y.  I am not sure Shep is big enough to handle the press that tends to come with being the X.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 11, 2023, 11:45:37 AMSome say James was our best WR last season.   What does his new 1 year contract say about the state of last year's WR corps?

That the Superbowl winners want him in camp. Its a compliment.

James gets to play in the best passing offense in the NFL with a chance at a Suberbowl ring this year. He signed at a discount because even though others might be willing to pay more, KC is the best offer and money won't change that.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 11, 2023, 12:57:10 PMI think I would go Hodgins at X, Wan'Dale at slot, and Slayton at Y initially but with Campbell right there and the expectation that Campbell will ultimately supplant him as the "starter." No matter what I'd still get plenty of both in there.

I think Campbell, Slayton, and Hodgins start only because Wan'Dale can be used inside, outside, and In the backfield so I'd imagine seeing a lot of him in exotic looks or when Waller is in the slot because it creates those Short Yac plays that Robinson waa so good at in college. Then you use Shep inside or outside depending on the package and who needs rest. That seems likely the best deployment currently Slayton at the 1 Hodgins at the 2 and Campbell in the slot and Wan'Dale all over. If I remember Wan'Dale's best game against Detriot most of his receptions were outside but could be wrong.