News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This beat writer's mock draft did not go well for NYG

Started by MightyGiants, April 09, 2023, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Who would you have drafted at 25 if this is how the draft plays out?  I tend to put more value in drafts like this with beat writers representing their teams.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2023-nfl-mock-draft-football-writers-make-all-31-first-round-picks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I dont see that as a nightmare scenario if guys like Nolan Smith, Darnell Washington and Bijan Robinson are still available.  I like Forbes as well but dont think Giants would take him at 25.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 09, 2023, 11:35:20 AMWho would you have drafted at 25 if this is how the draft plays out?  I tend to put more value in drafts like this with beat writers representing their teams.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2023-nfl-mock-draft-football-writers-make-all-31-first-round-picks
Give me Forbes all day everyday. I like the 3 picks that went after us in Nolan Smith, Robinson, and Mayer but the production that Forbes had in the SEC West is truly elite. Look at this stat line for 3 years 150 tackles 6.5 TFL 1 Sack 14 Int 390 Int yds 6 TDs 20 PD and 1 FF. He'd have even more than that if SEC teams didn't activately avoid him most games because he was an Int machine. Only allowed a 42.8 passer rating when targeted this past season in the SEC.  His ridiculous leaping ability and length at the catch point in press is outstanding and makes him the perfect island corner that can get actual turnovers in mass in press. Him playing basketball, baseball, and Wr In high school shows with his leaping, natural athleticism, and hands, also in his 4.35 40 time.

I had the same gut feeling on Tariq Woolen the rookie corner for the Seahawks that lead the league in Ints this past year that was also a converted Wr and even he wasn't as refined as Forbes Is now. Forbes also has the moxy of a truly elite shutdown corner and knows it similar to Sauce Gardner, I mean 14 Int and 6 pick 6's in the SEC will do that. Just saying I'd be jumping for freaking Joy if we take this kid he's legit. You can't teach production, agility, and confidence he has all 3 and a lot of it. I'd easily take him over banks, branch, or any of the corners outside Witherspoon and maybe Porter. That many picks in press going up against the best Wrs in college, give me that tomorrow.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 09, 2023, 11:35:20 AMWho would you have drafted at 25 if this is how the draft plays out?  I tend to put more value in drafts like this with beat writers representing their teams.

With JSN, Q.Johnston, J.Addison, and Zay Flowers gone...I'd concede that we'll have to get a WR later in the draft, and not draft hungry for a WR at this point. I probably would've taken Forbes as this guy did as I have him close to the top as the best CB in the draft. I would not take Nolan Smith or Bijan Robinson as there are so many quality ERs and RBs in this draft

If I didn't take Forbes, it would be a toss up (for me anyway) between TE Luke Musgrave, DT Bresee, and LB Simpson
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 09, 2023, 12:17:39 PMGive me Forbes all day everyday. I like the 3 picks that went after us in Nolan Smith, Robinson, and Mayer but the production that Forbes had in the SEC West is truly elite. Look at this stat line for 3 years 150 tackles 6.5 TFL 1 Sack 14 Int 390 Int yds 6 TDs 20 PD and 1 FF. He'd have even more than that if SEC teams didn't activately avoid him most games because he was an Int machine. Only allowed a 42.8 passer rating when targeted this past season in the SEC.  His ridiculous leaping ability and length at the catch point in press is outstanding and makes him the perfect island corner that can get actual turnovers in mass in press. Him playing basketball, baseball, and Wr In high school shows with his leaping, natural athleticism, and hands, also in his 4.35 40 time.

I had the same gut feeling on Tariq Woolen the rookie corner for the Seahawks that lead the league in Ints this past year that was also a converted Wr and even he wasn't as refined as Forbes Is now. Forbes also has the moxy of a truly elite shutdown corner and knows it similar to Sauce Gardner, I mean 14 Int and 6 pick 6's in the SEC will do that. Just saying I'd be jumping for freaking Joy if we take this kid he's legit. You can't teach production, agility, and confidence he has all 3 and a lot of it. I'd easily take him over banks, branch, or any of the corners outside Witherspoon and maybe Porter. That many picks in press going up against the best Wrs in college, give me that tomorrow.

Forbes production, ball awareness and instincts remind me so much of Tyrann Mathieu.  I think Forbes is more athletic than Mathieu was.  I like him a lot.

Also Forbes may be only 166 pounds but he is 6'1" which I love for a CB.  Given his athleticism and speed, I am not sure QBs can easily throw over him. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 09, 2023, 12:29:53 PMForbes production, ball awareness and instincts remind me so much of Tyrann Mathieu.  I think Forbes is more athletic than Mathieu was.  I like him a lot.

Also Forbes may be only 166 pounds but he is 6'1" which I love for a CB.  Given his athleticism and speed, I am not sure QBs can easily throw over him. 
Exactly I'm not concerned with the weight, sauce Gardner was 175-80 and is now 200 + Forbes has the height to gain solid weight.

Plus Wrs have gotten small and faster and Forbes can cover those guys.

Bob In PA

IMO, sports writers don't make good GM's. Nolan, the next man taken (by Cowboys) is the clear correct answer. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 09, 2023, 12:17:39 PMGive me Forbes all day everyday. I like the 3 picks that went after us in Nolan Smith, Robinson, and Mayer but the production that Forbes had in the SEC West is truly elite. Look at this stat line for 3 years 150 tackles 6.5 TFL 1 Sack 14 Int 390 Int yds 6 TDs 20 PD and 1 FF. He'd have even more than that if SEC teams didn't activately avoid him most games because he was an Int machine. Only allowed a 42.8 passer rating when targeted this past season in the SEC.  His ridiculous leaping ability and length at the catch point in press is outstanding and makes him the perfect island corner that can get actual turnovers in mass in press. Him playing basketball, baseball, and Wr In high school shows with his leaping, natural athleticism, and hands, also in his 4.35 40 time.

I am leaning Forbes myself for the many reasons you stated
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 09, 2023, 01:37:22 PMIMO, sports writers don't make good GM's. Nolan, the next man taken (by Cowboys) is the clear correct answer. Bob

I don't see it as quite that clear Bob. The Giants picked Ojulari (50th) and Thibodeaux (5th) in the last two drafts. While no doubt Nolan would help the Giants' pass rush, IMO they have a much bigger hole at CB. If they feel Forbes can add the necessary weight without diminishing his skills he would be the better pick in my eyes, as he would fill a more pressing need*.
Thibs and Ojulari vs. A. Jackson and ???

*Depending on what they feel they have in Cordale Flott

GloryDays

Forbes would be an excellent pick at 25. Forget about his wiry built, he is tough and strong.. similar to other great players in the past and now, like Randy Moss, Devonta Smith ..... He is relentless, confident, fast who is a ball hawk and a bully on the field.
I would love that pick if he falls to us 🙏🏻

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on April 09, 2023, 02:25:14 PMI don't see it as quite that clear Bob. The Giants picked Ojulari (50th) and Thibodeaux (5th) in the last two drafts. While no doubt Nolan would help the Giants' pass rush, IMO they have a much bigger hole at CB. If they feel Forbes can add the necessary weight without diminishing his skills he would be the better pick in my eyes, as he would fill a more pressing need*.
Thibs and Ojulari vs. A. Jackson and ???

*Depending on what they feel they have in Cordale Flott

Steve: Good points but Giants need an outside CB. Boundary WR's in NFL are to big for a man that size to handle.

Brown (Eagles), Jefferson (Vikings), etc., would bully Forbes out of the way for 50/50 balls.

He may deserve to be a 1st-rounder but as a slot man only.

I'd be OK with it if there was a single man of his size/weight starting at outside CB in the NFL at the present time.

I can't think of one.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 09, 2023, 10:54:17 PMSteve: Good points but Giants need an outside CB. Boundary WR's in NFL are to big for a man that size to handle.

Brown (Eagles), Jefferson (Vikings), etc., would bully Forbes out of the way for 50/50 balls.

He may deserve to be a 1st-rounder but as a slot man only.

I'd be OK with it if there was a single man of his size/weight starting at outside CB in the NFL at the present time.

I can't think of one.

Bob

I think he'll easily be 180lbs by the time camp starts.

Painter

We can value as we wish, and as we will. But let's never impart or imply any notion of accuracy  to what is nothing more than a guessing game in which, no matter who or how many engage it, a 25 percent match of player to team is a better than average result, and anything more is just a matter of luck which even then won't result in anything close to a 50/50 outcome for those teams picking outside the top-10.

This year, with Our Heroes having the 25th overall pick, and there being no real consensus among the hundreds of Wags chirping their "insights" across the Round, would we be able reach a 50 percent or better consensus as to whom we believe that Schoen, Daboll et al will choose?

Frankly, given the uncertainty of availability of particular players at positions we believe are of greatest need, might we not do better to simply state who we hope they will choose if able, and let it go at that?

Or if we feel that would be too restricting given the needs factor, then we could make it a 2 Round or 2 Day wish list seeking consensus.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Painter on April 10, 2023, 10:01:01 AMWe can value as we wish, and as we will. But let's never impart or imply any notion of accuracy  to what is nothing more than a guessing game in which, no matter who or how many engage it, a 25 percent match of player to team is a better than average result, and anything more is just a matter of luck which even then won't result in anything close to a 50/50 outcome for those teams picking outside the top-10.

This year, with Our Heroes having the 25th overall pick, and there being no real consensus among the hundreds of Wags chirping their "insights" across the Round, would we be able reach a 50 percent or better consensus as to whom we believe that Schoen, Daboll et al will choose?

Frankly, given the uncertainty of availability of particular players at positions we believe are of greatest need, might we not do better to simply state who we hope they will choose if able, and let it go at that?

Or if we feel that would be too restricting given the needs factor, then we could make it a 2 Round or 2 Day wish list seeking consensus.

Cheers!

Larry,

You frequently talk about the failure to match a team to a player, which I have no doubt is true.  For me, the mocks help establish some idea of who will be available and around where players are drafted.  I would love to see a study of how mock drafts do in terms of establishing where in the draft players may be drafted.

In other words, instead of a failing grade for matching the player to a team, it would be a grade based on how close the mocker was to slotting the player.  For example, you could give an A for matching team to a pick, a B for being off (plus or minus) by a pick), a C if you are off by two picks, and so on.

I would find such overall grades rather interesting
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

expatriot

I bet given Schone's comments about getting explosive players, that if Robinson is there he takes him.