News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This beat writer's mock draft did not go well for NYG

Started by MightyGiants, April 09, 2023, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 09, 2023, 01:21:20 PMExactly I'm not concerned with the weight, sauce Gardner was 175-80 and is now 200 + Forbes has the height to gain solid weight.

Plus Wrs have gotten small and faster and Forbes can cover those guys.

Perhaps he does, but he came out of HS at 166 and hasn't gained an ounce since. Now my very good friend recruited him to MSU and I trust his eye for talent, but it would be silly to overlook his slight build
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

todge

With undersized Flott already on the roster, I would be very surprised if the Giants took
another CB with slight-of-build issues. Despite his weight, his body build will make him more susceptible to injury. Not to mention being unable to jam at the LOS and being outmuscled for catches down the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 10, 2023, 05:53:57 PMPerhaps he does, but he came out of HS at 166 and hasn't gained an ounce since. Now my very good friend recruited him to MSU and I trust his eye for talent, but it would be silly to overlook his slight build

On MSU's 2022 roster, they list Forbes as 6'0" height and 180 pounds weight.  It's possible he played at more weight than Combine weight as he may have wanted to ensure a fast 40 so he dropped some weight.  If he did, it didnt stop his ball production.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: todge on April 10, 2023, 06:14:04 PMWith undersized Flott already on the roster, I would be very surprised if the Giants took
another CB with slight-of-build issues. Despite his weight, his body build will make him more susceptible to injury. Not to mention being unable to jam at the LOS and being outmuscled for catches down the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's scrappy as hell and has been routinely going up against the best college players in the game in the SEC. CBs and WRs are the least of my worries when they are called "slight" or "thinly" built. They are the thoroughbreds of the game. Sure, some of them get injured, but so do those with bulging muscles, as football is a violent game. Seldom do corners get into violent situations like those in the trenches or a RB getting speared by a LB. Forbes is thinly built, but he's got that wirey type muscle (like DeVonta Smith who could be his double in exact measurements, 6'0"/170 lbs), and that wirey-string type muscles can fool you. He's fast as lightning, scrappy as hell, tackles like a monster, fights for every ball, and has a record of proof that he can play with the big boys...and even dominate those big boys. He's a shutdown kind of CB and won't disappoint whatever team he ends up on. Giants would be lucky to have him on the team. He'd start on day one across from Adoree' and we'd have one of the best CB1/CB2 tandem in the NFL
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on April 10, 2023, 06:16:45 PMOn MSU's 2022 roster, they list Forbes as 6'0" height and 180 pounds weight.  It's possible he played at more weight than Combine weight as he may have wanted to ensure a fast 40 so he dropped some weight.  If he did, it didnt stop his ball production.

Never trust college height/weight measurements on their websites - they typically aren't even close. If I had a nickel for every listed 7' guy on college basketball teams that were really 6'9"-6'10", I'd be rich....and those 6'3" guards...try 5'11". It could be one of the best things to come out of the combine...actual legitimate measurements of players
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 10, 2023, 06:16:45 PMOn MSU's 2022 roster, they list Forbes as 6'0" height and 180 pounds weight.  It's possible he played at more weight than Combine weight as he may have wanted to ensure a fast 40 so he dropped some weight.  If he did, it didnt stop his ball production.
He played last year closer to 175lbs as he seemed 10lbs smaller at the combine at166lb and has already added 4 lbs in-between the combine and his pro day and it didn't affect him.

Plus Flott already added 10+ pounds since being drafted and is playing well with it. So I trust this staff

Jclayton92

The kid gave up an avg of 23.6 yards a game this past season and only gave up 284 yards total in 12 games with 6 Int, 3 Tds, and a 44.7 passer rating lol. The kid is as lockdown as lockdown gets in the SEC West no less. PFF gave him an 87.2 grade for this past season which is wow. Add in him having 729 defensive snaps over 12 games this past season and he only got thrown at 58 times, which meant this past season he picked off a ball every 9 passes and every other one of those picks he took for a Td. He almost had more Int Return yards than he Gave up in Actual yards all season and we are worried about 20lbs when Corners and Wrs can barely even touch now, I don't need this guy in the box hitting Rbs, I need him on an island Robbing Qbs every 9 passes lol. Production is production especially in the SEC West and with 25th pick in the 1st I think he'd be a steal.

Antoine Winfield Sr was like 5'9 180lbs and prolific even back then, I think this kid will be just fine.

Sem

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 09, 2023, 10:54:17 PMSteve: Good points but Giants need an outside CB. Boundary WR's in NFL are to big for a man that size to handle.

Brown (Eagles), Jefferson (Vikings), etc., would bully Forbes out of the way for 50/50 balls.

He may deserve to be a 1st-rounder but as a slot man only.

I'd be OK with it if there was a single man of his size/weight starting at outside CB in the NFL at the present time.

I can't think of one.

Bob

I haven't read or heard anything suggesting Forbes will be "slotted" as a Slot CB. In fact he seems to me to have all the desired attributes to play boundary CB, other than his weight. If that's a concern to the Giants' brass then he likely isn't on their board.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 10, 2023, 06:30:55 PMNever trust college height/weight measurements on their websites - they typically aren't even close. If I had a nickel for every listed 7' guy on college basketball teams that were really 6'9"-6'10", I'd be rich....and those 6'3" guards...try 5'11". It could be one of the best things to come out of the combine...actual legitimate measurements of players

I understand.  I'm just saying it's possible.  Even if college site is wrong, the right answer for what weight he played at may be somewhere between 166 and 180.

GloryDays

I don't think a little extra meat protects players' limbs that much. Some guys are brittle even if they look muscular and bigger and on the opposite side, some are wiry but they posses strong joints and bones and they seldom get injured, Forbes seems to be one of those. I don't see Flott being in that category though.

Jclayton92

I just read transcripts from his interview at the combine and he said in multiple interviews that he played at 173-176 lbs this past season so if he added 10 more pounds he'd be Adoree's weight and 2 inches taller.

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 10, 2023, 10:07:23 AMLarry,

You frequently talk about the failure to match a team to a player, which I have no doubt is true.  For me, the mocks help establish some idea of who will be available and around where players are drafted.  I would love to see a study of how mock drafts do in terms of establishing where in the draft players may be drafted.

In other words, instead of a failing grade for matching the player to a team, it would be a grade based on how close the mocker was to slotting the player.  For example, you could give an A for matching team to a pick, a B for being off (plus or minus) by a pick), a C if you are off by two picks, and so on.

I would find such overall grades rather interesting

That's already being done to no real benefit by certain compilers for example by Huddle Report and even more concocted by Fantasy Pros who list 164 WAGss ranked by first round predictions across four categories with points based on their ability to correctly predict: 1) Draft slots for each player, 2) Rank within a position players will be drafted, 3) Positions (e.g. QB) each team will select, and 4) Teams that will pick its player correctly.

Even if you imagine such to have some value beyond Mock Draft onanism, it won't sustain a useful conclusion from one year to the next. To put it more succinctly if not accurately, if you're picking is outside the top -5 or -6, you would do well to note the almost total lack of consensus which exists among the WAGs thereafer.

This hasn't been labeled the Silly Season except for good reason.

Cheers!